Votes: 18 72.0%
  • World / Beats

Votes: 4 16.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Being the biggest music junkie I know, I was always interested in the relationship between the different personality types and the genres of music they prefer. I found an article trying to tackle this topic. It's based on a "survey of over 4000 respondents" and it's an interesting read.

What do you think of the results?
What genres of music do you personally like and why?

I'm an INFJ and the article said they mostly like alternative rock. That's pretty much spot on in my case.
My favourite genres are different kinds of modern metal, post-hardcore and the aforementioned alternative rock. I also like some ambient stuff, but I'm awfully choosy overall.
As to why I like these.. Well, I get bored of music that's easy to listen to pretty fast and guitar is kind of essential for me. I'm not into technical stuff, but I prefer heavier genres with a certain level of complexity, variety and depth, that require multiple listens to really sink in. (My (currently) favourite album took me several dozens of listens to be able to fully appreciate it.)

·
Banned
829 Posts
anything that's not death metal or screamo I'm down with. I don't have a preferred genre, honestly

Reactions: jusplathemus

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
ISFP here.

I generally am into a lot of alt and indie, and definitely have a soft spot for folk and world, as well as ambient. Electro makes me think "The Future is Now", and you can easily dance to it, so I like a lot of that stuff too.

·
Registered
852 Posts
i like classical music, jazz, indie and rock/alternative rock. but i'd listen to anything except electronic music

·
Registered
817 Posts
INFJ, my interests primarily lean pop except for

1. Showtunes
2. Retro (which is just pop from the past)

Otherwise, though, you'll see pop-punk, pop-electronica, pop-pop, etc. I love the strong melodic component. I don't just listen to what's on the radio, though that's where I've heard a lot of music I like. Example of the sort of style I enjoy:

I don't think this says a whole lot about my personality type; MBTI would mostly affect delivery of information in the lyrics rather than the genre.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think this says a whole lot about my personality type; MBTI would mostly affect delivery of information in the lyrics rather than the genre.
Yeah, well, as the article puts it:
"genre, like one’s personality type, is more a guide than a straightjacket, and wisdom is more readily found in the hidden nuances than in the broad strokes.

Nevertheless, though there are genre-bending outliers to be found in every category of music, the general tendencies of each may cause certain personalities to gravitate more readily towards particular genres, while being repelled by others.
"

Which kind of makes sense to me.

Oh, and:
"Furthermore, as much as we might identify ourselves – and classify one another – by our choice of genre, our preferred medium (MP3 player, laptop, car stereo) might be just as telling."

I always preferred MP3 players for convenience sake.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
While it might be an interesting article, don't take it as "MBTI". They say themselves that they're not working with MBTI. MBTI is built by Jung and works with functions, while 16personalities embodies a few ideas from Keirsey, and, and I quote:
Furthermore, unlike Myers-Briggs or other theories based on the Jungian model, we have not incorporated cognitive functions such as Extraverted Thinking or Introverted Sensing, or their prioritization, instead choosing five independent scales and building our types around them.
16personalities might have a good typology system (I don't think so, but that's up to you), but just as with Keirsey, they're not actually working on MBTI, even though lots of people thinks so.

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
I like ALOT of genres

Seriously.
I like 40s-60s oldies Pop/Rock/Blues
I like 70s Classic Rock/Disco
I like some old school country
I like some 80s (honestly probably least fave decade for fashion or music) but still some is fun.
80s sort of kicked off hip-hop and some pop/rock music is fun from that era
I like 90s Rock, 90s Grunge, 90s Hip-Hop/Rap, Some 90s Pop, Some 90s Country
I like some Billboard Hits from 2000's on to now
I like some hip hop reggae stuff
My usual Pandora Station is like Lana Del Rey and other Hipster sort of crap (Indie randomly plays)

I grew up in a huge music lovers house so I guess I have an ecclectic taste as far as old and new mainstream and more underground. I grew up going to sock hops with my grandmother I can sing most oldies. My stepdad is a theatre major I know alot of musicals. From Rogers & Hammerstein to Les Mis, or Rocky Horror Picture Show. My mother and dad were huge on Blues. I likely defer to Led Zeppelin myself just always have enjoyed them the lyrics and voice, and instrumentals.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Couldn't be more inaccurate than that. I never listen to religious and country music. The part about listening to music in a car stereo or less than 2 hours per day is false too.

My favourite genre is Classical/instrumental.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While it might be an interesting article, don't take it as "MBTI". They say themselves that they're not working with MBTI. MBTI is built by Jung and works with functions, while 16personalities embodies a few ideas from Keirsey, and, and I quote:

16personalities might have a good typology system (I don't think so, but that's up to you), but just as with Keirsey, they're not actually working on MBTI, even though lots of people thinks so.
I see, thanks for the heads up!

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,287 Posts
I checked 8 genres but alt. rock is #1.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No core and/or metal on the poll?

...Fine, rock and pop, I guess.
Well, initially, I included metalcore and post-hardcore too, which are my favourite genres, but the poll is limited to 20 choices, so I had to cut down the options.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts