Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually I pick out one artist every day to listen to (Randomly listening to other artists in between)
and today I picked Tori amos. Then I realized how much her music actually helped me through bullshit, why I'm still alive because music has the biggest impact upon me.

Would any of you care to share what artist/song has pushed you through the worst times you've experienced? Or inspired you in love, or changed your mind about suicide or any sort of situation.

Posting videos would be extra nice ;)

-------------------------------------------------------
This song helped me have confidence, in realizing that I do crucify myself every day for people who have god complexes;

This song represents my hatred for those who let money control them and how they perceive others.
It fueled me to seek out those who agree with me;

It's very obvious why I like this song, even though I really dont like Marilyn Manson and his shock value personality, but I think his 4w5 comes out in this song;

When I lived in texas, and felt like the only smart human being there, this song helped me recharge after going to agonizingly painful cook-outs with family members;

Helped me sleep at night, many a night;

I guess this song..makes me not ..so afraid of death, maybe;

·
Registered
815 Posts
Sounds fun :proud: I have to admit that I usually value melody/beat over lyrics though.

I had to get through a lot of regret recently and I would play this song over and over.

When I was fucking depressed because of a ridiculous crush three years ago this song was my refuge. Can't say that I am a big fan of this band anymore though.

My preferred song to vent my anger when I'm in a hateful mood.

When I am in a bad mood but need to focus on a task.I really recommend listing to this one

When things are going well I enjoy an upbeat song like the following.

As you can probably tell, my tastes are quite... varied :tongue:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wow, focusing on an artist each day - that sounds like a really cool idea!

Personally, I just have a few songs that are my go to songs that really calm me down. Ill share two of them here.

The first one is Waterfall by Without Gravity.
They are an Icelandic band, and I just love the gentle nature of the song. They take the time to really allow the instruments to be a siginificant part of the song - so often in popular music the vocal is the only standout 'instrument' in the song. I downloaded their album a few months ago (or maybe longer), and I really like all the songs on their CD. They are all beautifully mellow.

The next song that I have only recently really started to like despite having them for a long time is The Empty Bottle by Archive.
In a way its quite similar to the song by Without Gravity - it is mellow and something that just puts me at ease. I really like how the singer holds the note and builds the tension before swapping to the relief note (gah, forgot all the technical terms, I hope you know what I mean!).

Edit: Wow, I have NO idea how to embed clips from youtube. I hit the embed option and copied the code but it didnt do anything when pasted here. Sadface.

Edit 2: Ok, so apparently you just have to link in the URL. Thats easy haha!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm too lazy to post videos... but here are some songs that I feel have helped me:
Flyleaf - Arise, Believe In Dreams, and many others. Favorite band when I'm feeling down...
Soul Asylum - Runaway Train
Evanescence - Missing
Meg & Dia - Setting Up Sunday, Nineteen Stars.
And I agree your choice of Marilyn Manson, the songs "The Nobodies," and "Born Again" help me feel inspired to overcome any problems that are hindering me, and in a way sort of overachieve to pass the standards by doing things my own way.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm the kind of person that when I'm extremely upset I need to listen to something to calm me down rather than vent my angst with an angsty song. I remember that this is suppose to mean something about yourself from this site I was looking at, but I forget now. When I'm happy I listen to kind of sad songs, and my "angry" music because it's the time where I can handle it. And then when I need to concentrate and stay awake I listen to calming music. Now on to the actual music, I'm not gonna explain every song, I'm just gonna say the mood I listen to each song in.

"Angry About Ignorance"

"Doing Homework"

"Pretentious"

"A Lack of Neurosis"

"What the fuck am I doing?"

·
Registered
129 Posts
I went through and listened to all of the songs you picked. Really amazing stuff, very diverse.

I was actually very pleased to find a thread like this. It's always great to find a group of people to whom music has a truly similar effect to the one it has on me. There are quite a few songs for me that have been immensely important at various stages in my life. A few of these are:

Queen - "Don't Try So Hard"
When I was in sixth grade or so, I became extremely fascinated with Queen. From that point on, I collected every Queen video, album, live recording, interview...everything I could get my hands on. I didn't actually get a copy of the album "Innuendo" until I was a sophomore in high school. I'd never in my life been able to relate to the lyrics of a song more fully. It was an amazing experience. Every time I listen to this song, I still get chills. It really helped me to feel less alone somehow, knowing that someone had felt exactly like me. It's a beautiful song, and one that many people just casually aware of Queen aren't familiar with.

Sarah Brightman - "Who Wants To Live Forever" (Queen cover)
I had resolved a little over a year ago that I was going to kill myself. I got everything ready, including a playlist of songs that I felt to be fitting. This song began to play, and I was actually taken aback for a moment, as I'd meant to include the Queen version of the song. Sarah Brightman's voice compelled me to stop and listen, and I decided that in a world where something that sad yet beautiful could exist, I wanted to remain. I put the song on constant repeat and fell asleep with it still playing.

Rebecca Joy Lear - "Lullabye"
I find this song to be very lovely. From the first time I ever heard it, I felt as though it was directly speaking to me and it's made its way on at least half of the mix CDs I've made in the past month and a half or so.

Lady Gaga "Paparazzi (acoustic)"
Melodically, I find this song to be very beautiful. A good deal of people are too overwhelmed with Lady Gaga's strangeness to appreciate that she has very real talent. The chorus has always given me chills. It's actual very heart-breaking. I feel that on this particular version, she emotes far better than on the studio version.
Also:
The same song from her MTV Video Music Awards Performance. My dad said, "I think Lady Gaga is just being weird for weird's sake, to get attention." My mom responded, "No, I think she's just legitimately weird. She reminds me of Sara."

·
Registered
4,339 Posts

I just honestly can relate to these lyrics,more than
any other lyrics.

This song is beautiful,the first time I heard it I fell in love.
It's helped me on some shitty days just laying back and listening
to it.

I listen to this when Nostalgia hits me.
it reminds me that really everyone feels nostalgic at some point.
(the audio is pretty shitty on this couldn't find a decent one)

This song just pumps me up.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have great respect for Lady Gaga. People usually dismiss her as another talentless pop-star after listening to studio versions of one of her biggest hits, Pokerface for example, or seeing one of her hilarious outfits. If you have the chance to see some of her live performances and interviews you'll realize that not only is she talented but also very intelligent and unique.

Just my 2 cents :wink:

Btw, I can't be the only straight guy who likes her... right? :confused:

Edit: Here is another song I LOVE. I can't listen to it without being forced into a trance. I'm serious.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have had the stranglers - la folie album on repeat for almost 2 weeks. Go to work listening to it come on listening to it.

Dont care what era or genre a song is from, I love a song that can explain my whole life at the moment back to. The Stranglers are dope anyways.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Pretty much any dark DnB tune will repair my broken spirit. the heavier the better.

Also here's some that I listen to when in a lighter mood. No specific reasoning for any of them. That's like saying people have some different specific reason for smoking each of their joints.

And then of course I have the music I listen to ensure I start out the day wanting to punch holes in reality

·
Registered
576 Posts
on the subject of love this song was very helpful to me in that department. so i love and hate (mostly love)

I played this for a girl that was in a shitty relationship and boy did it put me over for the most part. good times:crazy:

meak i remember that song from a while ago, deep as all hell. love on man love on.:cool:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Music

This is my realm. This is where I feel something that even gods envy me.

·
Banned
1,122 Posts
I should put a few....

I feel this way a lot lately...it makes me wish I had this song in High School and earlier in college....it's so happy yet sad, because it's how I've felt most of my fucking life...like it's going to be ok, but ti's a struggle now. Like I'll be laughing at everything one day...like the problems were a joke.

My song...the song that is me...entirely

For Meak

My depression/Psychosis

For Love

Almost every song I listen to...on a regular basis has some form of...impact on my emotions. If I'm really fucking depressed...I'll keep playing one song over and over...and over...and it's usually one of the depression ones or a different one along the same lines (it is often Ripe With Decay by Nine Inch Nails...an instrumental track)

Reactions: trondor

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, too many songs to check. Can you guys please post the most important ones. Sure there are heaps of songs we all like for our own reasons. But only the special ones should come out. Dig deep cos I know some of the best songs you find meaning in when your emotiona (sad or happy).

For me I have chosen: Yann tiersen - comptine d'un autre ete l'apres
Because this clip on youtube had me in tears countless times. No lyrics, just thinking. Life.

and of course:
Because this tune is so uplifting I feel I can do anything. If heaven is a place on earth, it truly is solsbury hill.

Oh and I can't leave out Roger Sanchez - Another chance. Sad yet amazing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My childhood was the most spiritual period in my life. I was always lost in thoughts and intense feelings. I could spend hours thinking and contemplating. It was not uncomon for me to sit in the lotus position for hours, just thinking. I adored this calm and quiet lifestyle. It was weird, I realize that it was, it is not comon for a five-year-old boy to sit and seemingly doing nothing for hours straight. But my parents allowed it, they didn't discourage me. I suspect my mother to have had similar experiences as a child. The other kids thought I was a freak though.
There is a theme that goes with this periode of my life, and that is the album Shimmering, Warm and Bright, by the norwegian band Bel Canto. Especially this song bring me back to those intense inner feelings that can never be shared with the world.

During the beginning of my teenage years, things got very bad. I remember it as a time full of despair, confusion and conflict. The transit from children's school to junior high was very painful. I was so full of anxiety that I never managed to give a good impression on neither the other kids or the teachers. I went from a peaceful time in kids school, where I was liked by classmates and teachers, to this hellhole youth school, where nobody liked me and nobody saw me. It became so bad I was engulfed in depression, anxiety, psychosis and suicide thoughts. My therapist think this might have been a socalled prodromal period.
This period is strongly associated with the music of VAST, and their self-titled album Visual Audio Sensory Theatre. Here is the song most fitting to that period of my life.

But that period did pass, and during my late teens I discoved that I was okay. That I was a nice person, that I should not worry too much and that I was not evil for not being perfect in every way. It was tranquil period. When I let go of my self-hatred, I become much more productive, got better grades and was capable of being social. Self-strengthening tendencies :)
This song is associated with that period.

And thank you for making this thread. It was nice therapy to remnisence of the songs I grew up too. :proud:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow, so much angry industrial music, and crunchy grindy guitars here... Makes me feel old. :D

This song got me through a divorce:

And then this song was there when I found love again:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
When in the mood for calm/Low Emotional Music

Silly :p

Heavy mood!

When I get Rebelious

Some others

But I normally just listen to all sorts whenever!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
This song is soo my senior year in high school song. I'd listen to it all the time. :blushed:
Especially the lines
"Apologies are left unsaid
Secrets better left unspoken
Dreams laid down and put to bed
Rumours stirred and re awoken

If I try to get away, how long until I'm free,
And if I don't come back here, will you remember me?

[...]
Find a place that's safe and far
In time all will be forgiven.

And if I try to get away, how long until I'm free
If I don't come back here, will you remember me?"

Really sums up how I feel about all the secrets I left there.

Also, this has been my favourite song for years. I don't know why, none of it is particularly AMAZING but it just perfectly captures how I feel most of the time. It's about not really having a reason to live but not having a good enough reason to die, either. Among other things xD

·
Registered
242 Posts
This song helped me to be less self-centered.

When my husband and I were dating, we broke up for a few months and I listened to this song several times every day. It's also like, my favorite song ever.

This song helps me believe in love. ;)

This song is just... about surrendering to love and loving someone so fully and being vulnerable and living your life IN love. It's wonderful.

This song reminds me to protect my heart, to stay innocent, but be aware that there are people out there who aren't at all like me and will hurt me if they get the chance, whether or not they mean it. It's a reminder to all NFs to be careful with our hearts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts