Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: I am apologizing ahead of time if someone already post this...I'm new to this.

Now, I was wondering if you guys also have difficulties finding others that share the same music preferences as you? Like literally whenever I tried to talk about the music I like people look at me like I'm speaking a foreign language.

Oh also, what kinds of music do you guys like? I like garage and deep house and everything else in between. (Mount Kimbie ftw)

Sigh. I hope someone sees this :unsure:

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have yet to meet someone who listens to the same music that I do. Then again, I do not really speak to many people. I have noticed that most people listen to the popular new music played on the radio which I cannot stand. I listen to whatever appeals to me without sticking to a particular genre, but I guess I mostly like experimental, dream pop, freak folk, ambient, a little bit of grunge and other types of rock, and other genres I don't know how to describe?

I hope you found this helpful, welcome to the forum. ♡

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a pretty diverse taste in music, so I can usually find common ground with people when it comes to music. I'll gladly listen to a top 40 song with one person and listen to an indie band with another person. However, the stuff I listen to on my own isn't quite as accessible to other people. I like my playlists to be a combination of hip-hop, rock and experimental electronic music. I feel like those genres cover the moods I'm in pretty well, and they all serve a purpose. My favorite people to listen to are Common, The Pharcyde, A Tribe Called Quest, Lacuna Coil, Rob Zombie, The Gorillaz, Phaeleh, Skream, Morcheeba and Autchere. That's who I typically listen to every day. I'll change this list every couple of months to keep things fresh and introduce myself to a whole new range of music.

I really wish I could lay out all of the different types of music I enjoy and all of the bands I like, but I don't want to write a novel here. Any time I start talking about music, I usually ramble on like this, so it's hard to have a normal conversation about it, lol.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
i like dream pop, shoe-gaze, alternative rock, ambient, downtempo electronic, emotional trap. anything thats got some emotion and feeling behind it expressed harmonically and melodically

i dont talk to anyone much anymore, i used to have friends i talked to about music a lot...

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
I'm transmusical...is that even a word?

I like trance-ing out from time to time, it's hypnotic and conducive to learning and mental experiments.

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
Disclaimer: I am apologizing ahead of time if someone already post this...I'm new to this
First things first. Welcome on board!

Now, I was wondering if you guys also have difficulties finding others that share the same music preferences as you? Like literally whenever I tried to talk about the music I like people look at me like I'm speaking a foreign language.
Since I have a very eclectic taste in music it is not difficult for me to find someone with whom I can talk about music. With a handfull of people online I exchange songs often and with one of my best friends in real life I can talk about music in depth. My dad enjoys music greatly, just like me, and while his taste is very different from my own we still find things to talk about.

In my experience, if you want to discuss music with someone who does not share your taste of music you can always talk about what songs mean emotionally. Or you can discuss lyrics and see if you can find lines that the both of you find beautiful. With others you can talk about the musical composition. My dad and I sometimes play the 'spot the triangle' game. We are of course not always looking for the triangle :tongue: that would be silly, but we try to spot the little things in the composition. A bell. A triangle. A little guitar riff that can pass you by unnoticed. It's good fun!

Oh also, what kinds of music do you guys like? I like garage and deep house and everything else in between. (Mount Kimbie ftw)
Like I said before, my taste is eclectic. I also don't like to think in genres, but in artists. The list of artists that I like is almost endless. However at the moment my favorites are:

-Bruce 'The Boss' Springsteen (ok, he's the only artist who will always be part of my favorites list!)
-Tegan & Sara
-Lana Del Rey
-The Coral
-Gaslight Anthem
-A Dutch artist (singer/songwriter) called Guus Meeuwis
-And a Belgian 1990s pop-band called Clouseau.

Reactions: blahblehmeh

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I basically like all genres, however I can't stand pop or rnb songs which are really mainstream (that's why I don't watch tv anymore)
I like 90-early 2000 song and their video music, it used to be really good and creative (cranberries, bjork,rhcp).
Beside these, I like pop/folk song like frente's harmony. I enjoy happy, calm, beautiful, quite song. I like rock too and blues.
This different taste is quite a problem for me whenever my friends invite me to karaoke.

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
Wow, I guess I'm all over the place with musical tastes. I love The Boss, like the person above, singer/songwriters like Jackson Browne and Joni Mitchell. I love the Glee channel on Pandora, the Lullaby Channel on tune in radio, Tropical and Hawaiian music, nature music, every channel on Calm Radio and a bunch on Sirius/XM, like Escape and Jimmy Buffet and Christmas music. But if you want just one artist to know me by, it's got to be Mark Knopfler. I love his guitar playing and songs.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Haha yeah, because us INFPs very rarely like commercial music which is what most people listen to... in the past I knew no one that had a similar taste... nowadays I've met many people, both in real life and in the internet. Also my taste has developed a lot, I used to only listen to hard rock and metal and some classical music and now I'm all about indie/alternative INFPish bands, since last year mostly.
Anyway, same with books and films, I still have a hard time connecting and sharing what I like because I hate people not appreciating it and even if they share some of my tastes they might hate others... in the end nowadays I prefer to keep all that to my self, mostly.

I also discovered that at least as a teenager, some years ago, the reason why nobody shared my taste was also my 4ness of actually, maybe without even noticing, wanting to be the only one that listened to whatever... in fact I remember when I saw other people listening to guns and roses I nearly stopped listening to it... xD

·
Registered
234 Posts
Whatever tickles my fancy, really. I enjoy traditional instrumental music, classical, post-rock, ambient, doom metal, electronic etc etc. I also have a fascination with 80s synthpop.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I like good music in any genre. Unfortunately, most genres contain mostly crap and it takes a bit of attention for me to distill the best music out of that cacophony of crappy music. So I have favorite artists in all genres. To speak to me, an artist must be able to communicate an emotional message in the music. I care a lot more about what artists are trying to get me to feel than any astounding technique they may have mastered.

My favorites include Billie Holiday, Miles Davis, Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, Eva Cassidy, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, The Beatles -- especially George Harrison, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Milton Nascimento,

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes, I too struggle with finding those who enjoy the same music as myself. While it's not too difficult to click with others on particular genres, it's mostly about the bands I listen to, which can be considered kinda "underground" or "outdated" (80s music = outdated? That's fucked up).

As an example, someone can be talking about synth and new wave and the like. I could chime in with Post-punk (which I've found most haven't heard of anyway) and start bringing up bands like "Kissing the Pink", "Scritti Politti", "Naked Eyes", "The The" .etc, and they start looking at me as if I've gone mad. I even get the same reaction from many grown ups.

Just another thing to add to my list of "Reasons I feel isolated and misunderstood".

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Meh. Like any sort of interaction, i share different things with different people when it comes to music. My taste is pretty varied so it stands to reason that i don't know anyone who has the same taste as i do, but this also makes it pretty easy to find some common ground with anyone who doesn't have a taste that's completely terrible.

Most of my friends are mainly into hip-hop, old school soul and other groove-based styles... and that's fine. I like plenty of that stuff myself, so whenever they're at my place i pick something we all like. As for the things that they don't like, i just listen to that by myself, and i'm perfectly fine with that.

I did manage to convince my friend to go see Chelsea Wolfe next tuesday :D That's definitely not something he'd normally be into, but a good live show might make him a believer and it should be fun regardless.

Here's my last.fm page if you want to check out my taste.
Last.fm

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
hmmm, yes and no? I don't know anyone who likes all the music I like, but I like good music (good in my opinion) of any genre so I have a fair chance of having something in common musically with most people I meet. I think the whole genre thing is a bit nuts, why put a song into a cage, saying its this but not this, I just take it as it is without putting a label on it. My tastes are all over the map, I listen to a bit of almost everything, classical, jazz, metal, hip hop, trip hop, chap hop, new wave, new age, punk rock, alternative rock, opera, world music, even a bit of electronica and country. Theres just so many many delicious flavors of sound, I love chocolate but sometimes I want mint, or cheddar bacon etc.
Some all time favorite bands/artists are The Clash, Massive Attack, Big Country, Crowded House, The Byrds, The English Beat, Jethro Tull, The Cranberries, The Police, Dave Brubeck, Willie Nelson, NWA, Wu Tang Clan, Big Audio Dynamite, Clannad,Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry, Vivaldi,Simple Minds. I could easily go on and on but I think that if you're at all familiar with these bands you'll see what I mean about having diverse and eclectic tastes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
How I find my music

Step 1. Watch a movie or Play a game
Step 2. Wait for a memorable moment
Step 3. Listen to the music in that memorable moment
Step 4. Download that particular music and into my MP3 is goes!

Now everytime that music is played, you can relieve that memorable moment again!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love love love reggae music.....Like Josh Heinrichs said, "Reggae music is what positive feelings sound like." but at the same time I love most types of music. I write and perform reggae now, but I used to be in a metal band and had friends in all types of other bands.

music I like:
-Grateful Dead (and almost any jam band like Phish and Disco Biscuits)
-Jamestown Revival, Devil Makes Three (good example of the type of country I like)
-type in Chillstep in youtube and almost all of that is super chill to zone out too
-Nahko and Medicine for the People (just amazing, can't contain them to any genre)
-as for reggae the new wave of bands coming up are amazing (Rebelution, SOJA, Iration, Hirie, True Press, Stick Figure, The Green)

this doesn't even begin to show you how much music I listen to haha

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feel like there should be a "how to" for the forum... anywho... Thank you all for leaving your input!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
eeep people!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have yet to meet someone who listens to the same music that I do. Then again, I do not really speak to many people. I have noticed that most people listen to the popular new music played on the radio which I cannot stand. I listen to whatever appeals to me without sticking to a particular genre, but I guess I mostly like experimental, dream pop, freak folk, ambient, a little bit of grunge and other types of rock, and other genres I don't know how to describe?
I wholeheartedly agree with the popular new music part. To me, it's all overplayed and generic. However, I did cry when Disclosure finally hit the radio, their like evidence that I have good taste. I'm not sure what dream pop is exactly, but it just made me think of Empire of the Sun...
I hope you found this helpful, welcome to the forum. ♡
This was really helpful! Thank you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I usually fawn over a particular musician or group for an extended period of time. Not necessarily genre specific. Rap, Rock, and some Pop. I can listen to a Radio song for a bit even, but I usually tire of those quickly.

Right now I'm listening to Radiohead and Bjork daily.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts