Votes: 27 42.9%
  • Pop

Votes: 16 25.4%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry the poll can't go into every genre and sub-genre.

I'm just interested to see what most of us are generally into.

I expect it will be almost entirely not mainstream.

I know a lot of us tend to go with the 'I like anything as long as it sounds good' response, but there must be a type of music that you most regularly turn to.

I personally have listened to this almost constantly for my whole summer while studying: Progressive Psy on Digitally Imported - Digitally Imported - addictive electronic music - it's an online stream so sometimes the content is crap, but I'd say 90% of the time I love it. And I can only listen to it through headphones. It's the perfect block from all the distractions of the riff raff of the outside world.

I set the poll to multiple choice, but ideally don't tick every box. There must be one type - or maybe two - of music that you most regularly find yourself choosing to listen to over everything else.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Rap, rock, pop, and country are the four I mainly listen to. Though I do listen to many other kinds of music.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Classical and metal are my go-to genres, plus a little brostep on the side. There have been numerous music threads on here by the way, if you want to gather more information quickly.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Mostly metal, rock, pop and country. I'm not very well-read on different music genres, so I just tend to say songs/artists I like.

Reactions: ADHR26

·
Registered
938 Posts
Everything:
Classical (including classical guitar)
Rock n roll
Rock
Heavy metal
Pop
Punk Rock
Undefinables: Muse, Black Keys, and a Swedish band, Nephew <3 ... etc.
Hip/hop
SOME rap and Some screamo.

I DON'T listen to country, get that shit off the radio! It's stupid music, for stupid people "dixey cups", "trucks", and "dancing country"... that's NOT music, I COULD WRITE that music in 3 minutes, it's so simple minded and stupid. You don't even need a good voice to sing half that music, AH. I can't stand that my co-worker plays it all week. The only decent songs are from women, like that american idol.
It's weird because with any other genre it's the men that have better quality music generally, but in country it's the other way around.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Progressive, death, black, folk, doom, etc. metal, jazz, jazz fusion, some classical, post-hardcore, prog rock, indie and alternative rock, video game soundtrack... And other stuff.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Metal (Viking, Death, Thrash, Black Metal mostly)
Classical (Modern era, a few baroque artists, late romanticism, impressionism and so on)
Gamelan
World
Jazz
Alternative
Psychedelic
Psychelelic Goa Trance
Stoner

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Specifically (In order of most listened to):

Soundtrack (Videogame, Anime, Movie, Series)
Symphonic Metal
Symphonic Rock
8 bit Music / Chiptunes
Classical
Alternative
Gothic Metal
World
Power Metal
Celtic Rock
Gothic Rock
Space Rock

I can say these are my favourite genres, but there's usually about three or so bands/artists/composers which I like in each genre. Anyway, most of these genres overlap.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My vote is for progressive/alternative, folk, and jazz.

Not really an option for me in the poll.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Everything; I spend 6 hours minimum everyday listening to music and have been doing so most of my life, so I run out of music fast ^_^ I can't find a single genre that doesn't have at least a few artists I'm into; sometimes they're Top 40 or whatever and other times they are no-name-indies; it sure can be a rough time finding the right music for my mood though sometimes~
tagcloud_princevern_1month_upper.jpg

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I used Last.fm heavily for a while and then just quit, mainly because I got an iPod and it doesn't scrobble as far as I know.

I now have Spotify linked to Last.fm so here's a 7day and an overall picture.

7day:

overall:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I appreciate: complex, melodic, melancholic, minor key music. (Can still be a major key but stereotypically I don't like it so much.)

My ideal "type of music" is A Perfect Circle's sound and lyrical abilities. Ironically, I do not listen to lyrics often at all, and in fact may hear a song a dozen (or more time), be able to start singing along with it, and still have no concept of what the song is about. I do not like "screamy metal," which is a major theme in most metal bands, unfortunately.

I also appreciate non-distracting vocals. I used to like Metallica for example, but the lead's voice is distracting and quite grating in all but maybe a handful of their songs.

There are a few pop songs, country songs, and weird other genres' songs I don't generally like or appreciate that can still randomly fall under my category, but it's rather rare.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts