Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a while now and I can not find any thread with music that characterizes INFP personality. There is one for MBTI types in general and two for specific kinds of music we like, but none really filled with music that describes an INFP. Thats what I was able to discover at least, so if I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

3632267.jpg

So this thread is for everybody, INFP or not, to post songs that they highly find connected with the INFP personality type.
~ Be careful, this doesn't mean it fits INFP people's taste, just that you believe these songs describe them.
Untitled-2.jpg
I'm going to start by giving you these songs:

wanting to be free to be themselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7epRPz0LGPE&feature=share&list=PL0E42973A49345037

INFPs in love:

Florence + the Machine - The hardest of Hearts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkzORb7JolI&feature=share&list=PL0E42973A49345037

All the pennies - Mindy Gledhill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcF5zsDCTWI&feature=share&list=PL0E42973A49345037

I think it fits perfectly with our apologetic nature and the psychological drama behind it xDD:

Sweetbox - Sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5X-5wSFvdY

All the symbolism in this song fit very nicely with INFP even if at first I was thinking it could be a song for sensuals:

Poets of the Fall - Sleep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcgI_EgqSxQ

Shinedown - Her name is Alice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sxe5mdBfGw

Feel free to share any related considerations, just make sure you are not going out of the topic, or say something unessecerily mean for other people's opinions. I would appreciate if you post the videos as links in order fr the posts to load quickly!

~~~ Have fun!

·
Registered
149 Posts
this song's lyrics and quiet delivery remind me of an INFP's stream-of-thought:

same band, this reminds me of the feelings that run through my head after a relationship ends:

aaaand this one really breaks my heart, makes me think of how badly we want to understand other people (like our partners):

and Nick Drake was definitely an INFP:

how i feel about death:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Fairly certain that Alex Lilly is an INFP. Her band, Obi Best, put out an album that is full of INFPness:

"It's Because of People Like You" epitomizes the sense of "Really world? That's how you're going to treat me? I've been nothing but kind and understanding, and this is what I get in return? Grow up!" that I see in my INFP sisters. People can be so clueless and careless sometimes, and that really needles the big, big hearts of INFP's.

What do you think? Do you identify with the sentiment of the song?

"If one more person tries to show me their faulty logic, god help me, I will lend them brains to borrow. Wake up! See what's real tomorrow"

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fairly certain that Alex Lilly is an INFP. Her band, Obi Best, put out an album that is full of INFPness:

"It's Because of People Like You" epitomizes the sense of "Really world? That's how you're going to treat me? I've been nothing but kind and understanding, and this is what I get in return? Grow up!" that I see in my INFP sisters. People can be so clueless and careless sometimes, and that really needles the big, big hearts of INFP's.

What do you think? Do you identify with the sentiment of the song?

"If one more person tries to show me their faulty logic, god help me, I will lend them brains to borrow. Wake up! See what's real tomorrow"
Hm I really loved the atmosphere though I got confused at some points with the lyrics ~ (I like what I understood though)

Oh, yes I see what you mean! Thats basically the main reason I get tired of the world and feel depressed. The whole song kind of describes how I felt this whole year ;;...
To me it seems like I always try and all I ask in return is to at least be recognised for my efforts...whether it is to get along with people at my uni or try to be patient with the hurtful comments of a precious to me person...but its almost unbearably irritating when people try to change me and give advices like "you should be less sensitive" or "you shouldn't care that much" or "if you are going to continue like this you are going to be the victim"...and they just don't seem to get that I realize that there are disadvantages everyone's character is not perfectly build up for everything but to stop caring would be like a living death...I just can't feel fullfilled by living life their way....I need my feelings and my thoughts and my hopes and dreams in order to keep loving the world and look forward to tommorow...I need to often look what they call childish in order to be happy...
and I think this song does a very good job with describing this side which I feel to have in common with other INFPs

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I suppose many of us could relate to Arcade Fire's "Funeral".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b_IHjWXbuM&list=PLC12F685485FFD45A

It's about the ambiguities of growing up. Loss of innocence of waking up to the oppressive and deceptive realities. Figuring out your identity from the wreckage that emerged from childhood. That the world is tragic but not meaningless. The thrilling possibilities of rebellion and liberation. The pensive melancholy of getting out of the backseat and start taking responsibility for your own life.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think Elliott Smith's work, especially his self titled and "either-or" represent how I feel about things, a good amount of the time. I've also been listening to Title Fight's "Floral Green" for the past year pretty religiously. Not sure if either really relates to all of you. Might be an INFP thing or an anxiety thing...

·
Registered
481 Posts
There are several recordings and interpretations of this song. Sinatra has a nice one...

If you're sensing a theme here you'll see I like Fiona XD I like her interpretation because she is SO an INFP and she sings the words to this song like an INFP would mean it.

Why Try to Change Me Now?

·
Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
11,718 Posts
If I could capture the essence of INFP in one single musical artist, I would have to choose Coldplay.

But hey, that's just me. I know a lot of people who can't stand them.

In terms of a very melancholy INFP like me, any symphonic rock or metal band with a female lead vocalist will do. Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, take your pick.

Another honourable mention: t.A.T.u.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Joy Division is good too. "The Eternal" inspired a song that reminds me of INFP's on a lot of a lot of levels...Even the album art...

Other ideas:
Frickin' Joe Hisaishi, and similarly Mr. Erik Satie must be mentioned...
And Jamie Woon, perhaps?

Reactions: android654

·
Registered
289 Posts
Videos always kill my mobile device when I go on discussion forums and I'm feeling lazy so if you want to listen to these songs, then YouTube is your friend.

Most of mine are based on the lyrics. Way I see it, everyone likes different sounds so one can't categorize based on that.

The First Single - The Format

What's the point of going around when it's a straight line baby, a straight, straight line
So let's make a list of who we need and it's not much if anything
Let's make a list of who we need and we'll throw it away
'Cause we don't need anyone, no we don't need anyone

Why?
After being in my head for hours I end up not wanting to discuss life with others because I've turned life from a circle to a straight line and back multiple times. I can also relate to having a few people as friends and feeling like I don't need those few any way.

Give It Up - The Format
Then there's Adam, he's afraid to go out I don't blame him, I just wanted to go out to eat

Why?
It might be more of an introvert thing than an INFP thing although I do tend to analyze social situations and become unhappy if I don't stop thinking about it.

Career Day - The Format
"It's too late to wish success,
So get undressed and please just come to bed.
'Cause I'm the last real thing you've got.
You're cursed by all ambitious thoughts.
Is that all you've got?"

Why?
Cursed by all ambitious thoughts? Me? Hell yeah.

Benson Hedges - fun.
Now I receive a call from my family
and what they started to say
brought me home.

(you're beautiful)
They think I'm beautiful
(for all your big mistakes)
They think I'm beautiful
(you're beautiful)
for all my big mistakes.

Why?
The thought of people who just accept you for who you are is always just a beautiful thought to me that makes my heart gush.

Make the Bus (feat. of Montreal) - Janelle Monáe
I've got a terrible fixation
Can't get it off my mind
Don't really want to know it better
Want to keep it in the realm of fantasy

Why?
Sometimes when I get into my world of thoughts I feel like I abandon a lot of care for my loved ones and I need to get back down to earth.

Dead - Jukebox the Ghost

Maybe it was just the sleeping pills
When I went to bed last night
Maybe I just never made it home
And what if there's always been
A tiny, tiny hole inside my heart
Leaking very very
Very very slowly

And if you're dead
How do you know if
You are really dead
Or stuck in a dull dream
About nothing that never ends

I was staring out the window when
I could've swore I heard a voice
What if there was someone calling me
Or what if it was just the sound
Of my soul slipping out last night
Sliding in between the cracks of my bedroom door

And if you're dead
How do you know if
You are really dead
Or stuck in a dull dream
About nothing that never ends

We all at minimum
Deserve a unique exit from this world
So if you're there God
See to it"

Why?
I believe in a big himherit upstairs/downstairs/wherever, but I'm not so sure of anything to do with religion or spirituality else these days as I constantly contemplate what to do with my life...

Say When - Jukebox the Ghost
Dumb horns blasting in the techno break
Hiding in the corner by the wedding cake
An image of your face distorting on the plate
Congratulations on your ugly dinner date

And the people that you love
Are always hating on the people that you love
Everyone against each other
Each one against the other

I'm feeling sick
Like the nightmares never ending
I'm sick of all the small-talk
If you're sick of pretending"

Why?
It's the ultimate wallflower/introvert love song.

Human Behavior - Björk
They're terribly moody
Then all of a sudden turn happy
But, oh, to get involved in the exchange
Of human emotions is ever so satisfying

Why?
Sometimes I despise my emotions and yet I know I need them also.

The Creationist - Kerli
This is an old and funny poem
I accidentally overheard
It keeps the little children playing
And bigger children spread the word
My memory is bad
So I always tend to forget how it goes
But

Life is my creation
Is my best friend
Imagination
Is my defense
And I'll keep walking
When skies are grey
Whatever happens was meant that way

You're no better or no worse than the others
We are all the same
And life is just a moment
You might as well enjoy this day
It's time to start believing
That everything you want is on it's way

Why?
The name of the firstly and the happiness and power without being too sappy.

Reactions: Fostejya

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Videos always kill my mobile device when I go on discussion forums and I'm feeling lazy so if you want to listen to these songs, then YouTube is your friend.

Most of mine are based on the lyrics. Way I see it, everyone likes different sounds so one can't categorize based on that...

name of the firstly and the happiness and power without being too sappy.

I've got to agree with you about the lyrics - sound part.

I would like to add that I can imagine the reasons why someone would choose an instrumental song, but as an intuitive and not a sensual person I feel that lyrics are more helpful with making us understand each other and ourselves...I do not know what to say about an instrumental song I relate to except pretty personal stuff that come to my mind, or just describe a vague essence I have which relates me to my type but listening to a song with lyrics I can clearly see some patterns of behaviour followed by INFPs, which is quite helpful in providing specific information to others about how I perceive my type.

Even so everyone, feel free to post instrumental! It is anyway part of how you musically connect with our type!
The First Single - The Format OK THIS FEELS SO RELATABLE FOR EXACTLY THE SAME REASONS YOU MENTIONED!
Give It Up - The Format
- yeah I do this as well ;.;...
Say When - Jukebox the Ghost: Oh yes I think its very characteristic of how we feel about small talk and arguments...

Human Behavior - Björk: (I feel I relate more to this because I'm studying psychology rather than being an INFP AHAHAHA!) but I guess we sort of generaly focus intellectualy on human behaviour as INFPs? Trying to understand others and ourselves? That is how I perceive it and feel about it, but that might be just a giant bubble I have in my head.

And I would like to remind to everyone that it is better to just post links to the videos (you can uncheck the option of them directly becoming videos in advanced reply) or the name of the songs and the artists, in order for the thread to load quicker and be accessible from other than computer devices.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't think INFP's can be generalized as liking only certain genres but I do think songs with good lyrics and a slight melancholic sound is what characterizes their (our) song choice. I've been getting into the band Daughter lately and City and Colour has always been one of my favorites.

"Northern Wind" is probably my favorite song right now:

"You're the Northern Wind
Sending shivers down my spine
You're like fallen leaves
In an autumn night

You're the lullaby
Singing me to sleep
You are the other half
You're like a missing piece

...Oh my love
If I could just find you tonight"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts