·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes i feel that

photography is like trying to put a moment into eternity
music is like trying to put an eternity into a moment

both are definately emotive
i chose music but i feel that i am a more visually developed person since my father was a painter

and i was wondering

what's your opinion about these two ? :]

·
Registered
141 Posts
I personally like music better, it is the universal language of man. I guess painting could be the universal written language and music the universal spoken lanuguage(or something like that) but as a musician I feel closer to music than I do images.(In fact I would rather lose my sight than my hearing anyday)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I've done both, I'd rather work with the visual arts.

Put more bluntly, you have to prepare for an eternity to perform for a moment, and then the moment is gone. I don't find it as satisfying as the reverse.

(In fact I would rather lose my sight than my hearing anyday)
I work with languages, so I'd be screwed if I lost either of those...

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I really could not choose either or. I'm a photographer but I also use to sing in a band. I'm getting a keyboard soon so I can learn to play piano. I don't sing anymore but music is so much a part of my life that I can't imagine a life without it. Photography is my life so I could not part with it. Music and photography are two of my passions so I can't choose one over the other.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I enjoy visual arts, but I respond more to aural stimulation. I played the violin for years in school, but even before that my mom was always singing or playing music for my sister and me. I feel like I have been trained to respond more readily to auditory stimulation, and if nothing else, my training has taught me how to analyze sounds more efficiently that anything I see. However, for me music has always elicited a more visceral response than anything visual, even before my formal training.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If I could choose, I would choose both :tongue: making extremely elabored orchestras and painting (or drawing) beautiful landscapes...art in general is beautiful

·
Registered
378 Posts
sometimes i feel that

photography is like trying to put a moment into eternity
I love that :) Music seems more all encompassing so it impacts me more but I don't compose music, I love taking pictures. Movies are a perfect combination even if they're just the cheap low budget ones in my head. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
it's an instrument from the show Futurama that uses sounds to project holograms. It's incredibly hard to play.

In reality there is something like this, but definitely not as sophisticated. People do use sounds to create visual art (usually in the form of lights).

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
it's an instrument from the show Futurama that uses sounds to project holograms. It's incredibly hard to play.

In reality there is something like this, but definitely not as sophisticated. People do use sounds to create visual art (usually in the form of lights).
oh the spanish version tells that it was actually driven by smells...creating images from smells

·
Registered
801 Posts
Since I have the musical prowess of a marble, I'd have to go with photography. More exactly, black and white photographs. Without colors you see and feel the moment come through the picture. Almost raw. I think color blinds a person's vision of the moment.

·
Registered
76 Posts
A life without either would be - I can't think of a serious enough metaphor. I play music, bellydance, and draw pretty pictures. They feed my soul. Why choose one over the other?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Since I have the musical prowess of a marble, I'd have to go with photography. More exactly, black and white photographs. Without colors you see and feel the moment come through the picture. Almost raw. I think color blinds a person's vision of the moment.
Interesting comment, waterviolet.. There's a Japanese fashion designer who says he never works with colour because he feels they give too much 'sentimentality.' It's in the tone, the shade, hue etc.. It has all these subjective stories or memories mixed into it --while with black and white, it's raw as you said.. and pure. People can see it as it is.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A life without either would be - I can't think of a serious enough metaphor. I play music, bellydance, and draw pretty pictures. They feed my soul. Why choose one over the other?
you are absolutely right!
i don't know why i so often end up having to set a clear boundary between things (maybe it is a compulsion with an attempt to better allocate my limited mental resources) if i like music and photography equally passionately it is not a bad idea to figure out a way to blend both pursuits i can be loyal to both as both of them enrich the souls in their own unique contrasting at once very similar ways
it's just that i chose music as my career path over it and i really really love colours, composition and geometrics in things and am constantly collecting stuff i was having difficult moments which activity i should give all of myself to
then again i love the tonal colours in music as well and how music gels ever so nicely with visual mediums and together create a wonderful moments

maybe i should learn to be less rigid but more loyal to more things and be more flexible

Interesting comment, waterviolet.. There's a Japanese fashion designer who says he never works with colour because he feels they give too much 'sentimentality.' It's in the tone, the shade, hue etc.. It has all these subjective stories or memories mixed into it --while with black and white, it's raw as you said.. and pure. People can see it as it is.
i respect these comments as well but personally i ended up becoming too much of a colour slut or an addict :-0 along with proportional elements of geometric composition and lights i think colour activates and create a sophisticated mapping dots in our brain that end up having their own magical emotional powers and meanings

maybe i prefer the oblivion the colours and tones give so much :-0 but they become real too.. because emotion and colour is a reality on its own, just the way it is.. sentiment being a facet or reality just the way it is !

then again i love black and white photography as well.. those are colours too at once light information

1 - 17 of 17 Posts