Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be really interested in the type of music you guys listen to. Currently, I'm listening to a collection of stuff my OH has put onto his new mp3 player. There is no fixed genre, he seems to go for the "feel" of certain tracks, so they could be anything from Chill to Classic Rock.

If you wouldn't mind including your age, or your age group, because I've a feeling it changes with age. Many thanks in advance.:happy:

Reactions: SophiaMarie

·
Registered
959 Posts
I don't have a fixed genre either but I mostly listen to Alternative, pop, indie, rock, trance, house, etc.
Some of my favorite bands are Stars, Motion City Soundtrack, Daft Punk, Shout Out Louds, Passion Pit, The Killers, Plushgun, etc.
My age group would be teenagers I guess. :tongue:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Lately I've been going for electronic, danceable stuff. My favorites of the moment being capsule, deadmau5, and 80kidz. Venturing into trance, but it's not as stimulating to me as other electronic/house stuff.

It's only been the last year or so that I've been consumed with this kind of music. I love it more than I can describe, but lyrics usually take a hit when dancey beats are incorporated. So for that reason, I often listen to J & K-Pop or Western Alternative music. What I listen to depends so much on my mood.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I enjoy a wide range of music... everything from classical to soul. Looking at my MP3 player, my top played artists are: Ray LaMontagne, Ludovico Einaudi, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Van Morrison, Johnny Cash, Chet Baker, William Fitzsimmons, Nick Drake, Loreena McKennitt and Sia.

I can get into just about anything though. The "feel" of a song, as you mentioned your OH goes for, is pretty spot on for me as well.

ETA: I am 20 years old.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Oh, I had listened to Ludovico Einaudi at one point on myspace. Beautiful stuff. I'm 20 and frequent in grunge, punk and areas of areas of alt. rock. Nu metal and jpop/rock. Deftones, Tegan and Sara... But I've been stuck on the Makeup Monsters recently. Those kids rock

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I would say prog rock/pop/alternative i.e muse, queen, mars volta, etc.

Also enjoy hard rock, i.e. Queens of the Stone Age, Static - X, Soundgarden, RatM, etc.

Electronic, i.e. NIN, Daft Punk, Ghinzu?

And of course classical. Seriously, does anyone not like classical on these forums?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A couple of Floyd'ers on here, and I think that an ISFP would like them for different reasons to INTP.

As an INTP, it's the lyrics I tend to lose myself in. The only stuff of theirs I disliked (or like least) is The Wall and Animals, and I think it's because I find the lyrics deeply disturbing at times.

For the ISFP, I think you like them mainly for their orchestration and arrangements - am I right? So you guys likely love the stereo sounds of Dark Side of The Moon, or the arrangement of Echoes....?

Must get my OH to express into words what he likes about them, because he could do it better than me.:wink:

Reactions: grassafue and esq

·
Registered
474 Posts
A couple of Floyd'ers on here, and I think that an ISFP would like them for different reasons to INTP.

As an INTP, it's the lyrics I tend to lose myself in. The only stuff of theirs I disliked (or like least) is The Wall and Animals, and I think it's because I find the lyrics deeply disturbing at times.

For the ISFP, I think you like them mainly for their orchestration and arrangements - am I right? So you guys likely love the stereo sounds of Dark Side of The Moon, or the arrangement of Echoes....?

Must get my OH to express into words what he likes about them, because he could do it better than me.:wink:
I love Pink Floyd too. I grew up listening to great music thanks to my dad.

Lyrics are just as important to me as the instrumentals are, unless it's classical or trance (so on) of course. Sometimes in songs with not such great lyrics the instrumentals alone can do it for me, but I love good lyrics. I love when I really like a singer and then I find out that they also write their own songs. A singer/songwriter is a perfect complete package. As time goes on, i'm finding it a lot harder to find singer/songwriters. It's still pretty easy to find bands who write and make their own music.

I don't have a favorite genre of music. If it sounds good and has good lyrics I listen to it. I do have favorite bands and vocalists/singers, but i'm open to everything.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
strangely i like wyclef's revamped/tribute wish you were here more

·
Registered
474 Posts
strangely i like wyclef's revamped/tribute wish you were here more

YouTube - Wyclef Jean - Wish you were here
OMG! No way. I didn't mean to thank your post :/ Sorry lol.

I wouldn't have said anything because I don't like getting involved in good/not good music debates, but I thanked your post on accident so I had to say something. It's an okay version, but I just don't think that it's nearly as good as the original. Different tastes thats all :].

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Something else I've picked up on. You seem to have no preconceived bias towards any artist. You like the music for what it is, rather than who or what produces it. The subsequent knowledge of anything that deeply offends your morals or beliefs can spoil it for you, but not necessarily put you off. I've actually rejected an entire music collection of a band that I once loved, just because of their lifestyle. This might sound odd to you.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
As an INTP, it's the lyrics I tend to lose myself in.
I think it is important for me that the lyrics match my hidden emotions. "Wish You Were Here" served an important purpose when I was going through very difficult period in my life. :proud:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
OMG! It's an okay version, but I just don't think that it's nearly as good as the original. Different tastes thats all :].
Oh definitely. The original remains one of the greatest songs I've ever heard, and I've heard millions. :happy:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Im 23 and i listen mostly to electronic music, and 9 times out of 10 they're without vocals. I find vocals a bit disturbing in music, except rap music, which i listen to a lot. To me music has to be well thought out, full of surprises and a bit different. I also like progressive music, which bends genres to be more forward thinking and original. Tension and energy are very important too, and when it grabs my attention and feet, the better it is.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Something else I've picked up on. You seem to have no preconceived bias towards any artist. You like the music for what it is, rather than who or what produces it. The subsequent knowledge of anything that deeply offends your morals or beliefs can spoil it for you, but not necessarily put you off. I've actually rejected an entire music collection of a band that I once loved, just because of their lifestyle. This might sound odd to you.
I never stopped liking Michael Jackson's music; just because of the rumors surrounding him.

Reactions: honestfi and Mina

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
OMG! No way. I didn't mean to thank your post :/ Sorry lol.

I wouldn't have said anything because I don't like getting involved in good/not good music debates, but I thanked your post on accident so I had to say something. It's an okay version, but I just don't think that it's nearly as good as the original. Different tastes thats all :].
I think it's because I'd never heard of Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" before, if I'd heard it up front I'm positive I would've liked it more. It's kind of like when I hear new versions of Michael Jackson's songs I go "What? That's not nearly as good as the original."

Reactions: honestfi

·
Registered
450 Posts
I like to think I have a wide variety of taste, but my iTunes is mostly alternative. I also enjoy jazz, classical, acoustic, pop. I'm not into excessive electronic music (I like music to be natural), or rap (which I barely consider to be music), or country (which at times can be more emo than emo). I despise auto tune; I appreciate it for what it is--funny, joke-like, but I don't take it seriously as "good" music.

I love The Beatles, Vampire Weekend, Green Day, Jason Mraz, Beethoven...this list could go on and on.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts