Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
I tried guitar and piano, but without success. This is because I used my Fi to "get" the music. I think that using Te instead of Fi could be better. Maybe I'll try again in the future, but after I completelly understand music, through Te. Then I'll just let Ni do the rest.

How does your playing relate to your being an INTJ?
I can't feel the music. I have to understand it first.

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then I'll just let Ni do the rest.
I think it's all about Ni. You may understand music through Te, and learn the technique with Te, but you won't reach a coherent understanding with it. Ni is better for understanding symptoms and languages (music), combine it with your Fi.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I learnt to play flamenco guitar when I was a small child. I played for about 5 years and begged my parents to let me stop. I do not relate to music that I create with my own hands, I would rather be inspired by the lyrical content.

I also played saxophone for a couple of years and hated that as well.

For me learning to play an instrument was all Te.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I never played a musical instrument, although both of my siblings did. When I was a child we didn't have much money, and by the time we did I had issues with most musical forms readily available to me. For over half my life I said I hated music and didn't relate to it, and it meant nothing to me. It turns out that I do get along with music, it's just not what most people listen to.

(for full disclosure, I'm listening to desi-beats as I write this. :laughing:)

In primary school I was in the choir for a year, and faked bad singing the next year so I didn't have to go to all the extra practice again. Some people seem to think I'm okay at singing, but I play that sort of thing down.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would like to say that I do play a musical instrument. My mouth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Doing my AMUS for viola...

I hate practicing, but there are some rare moments where I actually do 'get' the music. I'm forced into the music program because it's supposedly a 'way of life', and I 'will regret quitting' but so far, it hasn't inspired me to get off my computer.
I might attempt to self-teach myself a second instrument and continue freely with viola in the near future, to satisfy my musical 'talent' without having the hobby forced down my throat.

P.S. I beg to differ about music not being an 'INTJ thing'. I know a fellow INTJ who plays six instruments.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Guitar, saxaphone, and piano throughout my childhood.
I was never patient enough with any of the three to cross the threshold of being "good."

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Started playing piano, cello and clarinet since the age 5.
I grew up in a private music school which my parents own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts