Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else here is a Theater Enthusiast like I am?

I've been watching plays ever since I was young, but I stopped watching them for a while to concentrate on studies. When my aunt said they planned to go to Singapore and asked me if I wanted to go, I wasn't sure since I had school and the week they planned to go was the week before finals. Though, when she said they were watching Wicked and Lion King, I decided why the hell not?

Mostly for Wicked though. I wanted SO BADLY to watch that since I've known it for quite a while now and when I was in High School, we had to sing Defying Gravity (not influenced by Glee TV Show yet) and I completely fell in love with the song. I really enjoyed watching Wicked and was very lucky to have Jemma Rix and Suzie Mathers as Elphaba and Glinda respectively. When I heard Jemma, I thought it wouldn't be as great as Idina Menzel, but gosh. This girl blew me away. As in literally blew me away. And Suzie was just so adorable! Usually Glinda is played with a really squeaky and annoying voice, but Suzie didn't really have any of that. Her voice fit Glinda and harmonized very well with Jemma. It was just a really great show. I'd love to watch it again, but unfortunately, I'm not in Singapore. Maybe when they're in South Korea? I'd fly there and watch them. At least it's another country to visit. C:

Currently, my obsession with the play has directed me to YT and listen to them sing their songs. There was a time (an hour ago) my friend tagged me on FB "[title of song] in my pants" and I was listening to What is this Feeling? so it ended up going as: What is this feeling in my pants?

My friends and I couldn't stop laughing. XDD

I've watched:
Wizard of Oz
Little Mermaid
Annie
Wicked
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

All except Wicked were from a few years back (about 4-5; Little Mermaid was when I was 8 and Annie when I was 6). There's this one more I forgot the name. It had a white lion and the story was about a medieval prince going to the future and finds his true love there. In the end, he brings her back to the past. I really forgot the title. I know it's just one word, but I could be wrong.

Have you watched any plays recently? Did you enjoy them? Who were the actors/actresses? C: I'm sure there are others out there~

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I've only seen a couple English ones.

I once saw a Pakistani version of Phantom of the Opera [the songs were lip-synched and the acting was horrible].
I saw Lion King in Toronto way back in 1999 or 2000 [can't remember]. That was good. But I got really bored half-way through it. In fact, stopped watching plays for a good 3 years or so because of it.

Then I re-discovered plays [but decided that muscials aren't for me] thanks to the re-birth of Pakistani Urdu plays in 2004 onwards. Saw some absolutely fantastic plays with really enlightening themes.

There was a Pakistani version of Devil's Advocate where they adapted the story to the Pakistani cultural context which I can never forget. Then there were a bunch of Sheema Kirmani [she's a renowned Pakistani Kathak Dancer and Feminist - though Pakistani Feminists don't call themselves that for political reasons] led plays and productions.

There's this movement called Tehrik-e-Niswan [The Woman's Movement] in Pakistan which started putting together all kinds of plays in order to educate people about social issues surrounding women. I saw almost every play they put out between 2004-2008. They usually have a mixture of dialogue, dance and singing .. some are a mixture of all 3 - some are just dialogue based.

I realized that the only way to keep my interest in a Play is to have a theme surrounding some sort of social/political issue, or range of issues. I lose interest in something that's for purely entertainment purposes.

And of course, I'm not educated in Ballet, otherwise I'd probably enjoy it more if I did :p

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I've seen quite a few actually. I really adore Musical Theater. I've seen Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in a local theater, Miss Saigon, Fairly Modern Millie.....I've seen Wicked in Chicago (I can't remember who were the actors and actresses), The Lion King in Milwaukee, Riverdance in Chicago, Phantom of the Opera in New York and Jersey Boys in Chicago (which I believe was the last big production I've seen).

I've also performed in Beauty and the Beast, Children of Eden (Written by the same guy who wrote Wicked) and Evita.

I love the modern film adaptation of Evita, it has sort of been a favorite of mine since I was very young and I still consider the movie one of my favorites of all time. I'm a big Andrew Lloyd Weber fan. :]

Reactions: SilentScream

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those sound really fun!

My mom said Lion King was really boring for the most of it and that she fell asleep. But she doesn't share the same passion for Musical theater as I do. In fact, I really love being in production of plays and I've helped the Dramatics Guild in my High School do their props. I have friends there and they wouldn't deny helping hands. I was literally there every day until 7 in the evening helping them. I've also been extra, but not the random solos or extensive dancing. It was actually the production of The Wizard of Oz (I watched the non-school one too, though) and they were actually asking me to extra for them but that was my 4th year in high school and I being an officer, I had duties I needed to attend to on ground zero.

If I hadn't been to occupied with school and academics in most of my school life, I'd probably had gone with Performing Arts as my college course. I love performing! I couldn't be bad at singing since I am Alumnae Head for the Music Crew, Soprano 2 and well... I don't dance, but I am willing to practice! But yeah, I think I can still wiggle my way in Theater as I am in Multimedia Arts and we do have production courses. Plus my friend is in Production Management, she's being trained for Theater.

Though, don't get me wrong, I love performing; but still nothing beats being able to be hands on with the production. Helping out with the props and painting the backgrounds were really fun and I wouldn't mind doing that every day of my life.

I actually have a list of what I want to watch:
Phantom of the Opera (My ENFP bestie and I plan to watch this soon!)
The Lion King (We didn't watch it, unfortunately)
Cats (They were here for a time and my idol, Lea Salonga was in it; but my mom and I didn't get to watch it, sadly)
Mary Poppins (My aunt said it's really nice)
Mamma Mia (I watched the movie LOL I just wished Suzie Mathers was still the lead for it; if I knew who she was earlier, I would have gone to Australia to watch it)
Les Miserables

...I know I have a lot more, but I can't seem to remember. XDD

I hate travelling, but it'll all be worth it if I get to watch at least one show. o u o

1 - 4 of 4 Posts