Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any theories or observations when it comes to playing in a band or being a musician?

So .... I've been in a good many bands..... and one things that seems to always drive them is getting "big".... getting a record label. They also start out with...."what bands do you want to sound like?"..... "what are your influences?"..

When they do this..... I think they put their talents in a sort of tunnel vision kind of ...... setting. This stifles the creative process. They begin thinking in terms of..... "what do other people do"....." how can i take different things other bands have come up with and mix them all together"

I'm not gonna say that my way is better..... but I think you will get much more honest, unique, and connectible art .... if you just be yourself and attack the creative process as you. Not from a distant.... how can i reach a goal .... kind of way. That is.... if you want it to be fulfilling and actually art..... not some way to make money off of other peoples original ideas.

·
Registered
478 Posts
You're completely right.

I've sorta seen it first-hand. Growing up, my father was a recording artist for 7-8 years - his primary business was with jingle advertising but he worked closely with a few very talented singers, one of which (my vocal coach for now) runs a singing school and has already put several young people through to Australian Idol's top 10! But I saw before my eyes, my dad go from being totally wrapped up in the music industry with very high hopes - to being screwed over by partners three or four times and totally becoming absolutely disenchanted with the whole thing.

He's sold most of his studio equipment to other companies and a few starry-eyed young bands...now works as an apprentice architect.

I think it's very easy to let the craving for fame stifle your true self - you start to become very dependent on other's opinions, you want to be "accepted" and you set your hopes extraordinarily high - because you've seen how easily some musicians have gone from 'nobodies' to practically superstars overnight. Well, my opinion is that the superstars we see today comprise 1% of the world's talented musicians who deserve recognition. But most just don't get it. I think its extraordinarily important, if you're a musician/singer/actor whatever - to be content, and absolutely happy - performing your art whether or not you achieve fame. You don't care about fame, only your craft, and achieving near-perfection at it.

That's a true artist - and that's what the producers would die to have, if they could get their hands on one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
most or all of the greatest musicians have admitted their influences. "original ideas" are just variations of things you've heard. you might consider musical experimentation to be original, like a cave man hitting a rock, but that is also just hearing things in your environment and then making music from it. it's like technology--new technology is built on older ideas. unless you have instinctual music, you cannot create something musical free of experience.

if art is made to express oneself, getting famous will allow you to do this to more people

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm not sure i agree with what i said about original ideas. ignore that part.
ive been on pc for like more than a year now... never heard anyone say that.... i give props.... though that means little xD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts