Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this thread isn't about famous INFP musicians just to clarify that.
anyways i was getting my guitar fixed and the shop owner kept saying i really should take lessons.
he was blunt but he was exactly being a dick about it, but i was just thinking " dude hell no
i already taught myself". he probably meant well but i hate being instructed on something like that. with music i want to be as independent as possible, no lessons or training just purely self taught.
so i was wondering if any of you, fellow INFPs, were musicians and strictly self taught.
actually this could apply to anything being self taught. if its a passion of mine i refuse to have an instructor

·
Registered
177 Posts
I self taught myself the basics of the guitar for the first 6 months or so but i'm only having lessons now because my dad knew the guy. I wouldn't have been able to cope with any other guitar teacher, he is just pretty much passing on his 30 years of guitar knowledge + having a band on the side and just giving me guitar knowledge. I wouldn't be able to cope in non private guitar lessons with a strict technique obsessive teacher.

I say you carry on teaching yourself if your comfortable with it so then you can develop your own flair.. unless you meet a musicly passionate and expirienced guitar player who doesn't mind passing on some tips

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I'm a bit of both for guitar, it's been so long since I first started I forgot how I learnt. I just had my harmonica in my hands, which I can't play and I was thinking about learning that, and I reckon I will get it from being self taught after I have been shown the basics or know where to start.

I really don't get on well with driving instructors, sometimes I wish I could just get in a car and practice by myself without anyone sitting beside me barking orders, I do like to figure things out by myself. Sometimes though I need someone to ask 'what is this basically about?', books and videos sometimes don't answer all my questions, so I need another person there to get on with the next bit by myself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It comes down to you're perspective... Are you getting what you want/desire out of your music? I'm also self taught on the guitar and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. I've attempted to take lessons twice but bailed both after two weeks. Music has no set structure, no right chord and no right scale. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "Well typically people don't play that progression". Just rock on brotha, express yourself and love what you're doing... You'll never find that in a lesson :happy:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've been playing guitar for 3 years and haven't taken a single lesson. I've just looked up a few things on the internet, that's all. I also play a bit of piano, violin and Irish tin whistle, no lessons. I haven't taken any lessons for anything, mainly because I can't afford it and there aren't any to take in the area. I actually wish to take a few lessons for guitar just to set a few things straight. And violin is just too damn hard, so you need at least a few lessons to learn the basics, and to learn how to tune the darn thing without breaking the bridge.

·
Registered
602 Posts
self taught but i probably wouldnt mind taking lessons, the only reason i taught myself is because its cheaper and convenient.

·
Registered
211 Posts
self taught for the most part but i did spend a little money to hang with a good instructor which opened up several new roads to explore. i also came away with a better understanding of how and why things work. the key was that i found a really good instructor and not some "just go practice this scale" type.

you may be limiting your potential for the sake of pride.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
yep... self taught as well. lessons are ridiculous.....

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I self taught on Guitar and Bass because it's quiet easy to self teach on and just pick up small things from the net.

I get Lessons for Drums though. :p

·
Registered
253 Posts
I self-taught myself how to sing. I wouldn't have a problem with lessons to get my pitch correct, but I'd rather learn that myself as well.

·
Registered
INFP, 4w5 sp/sx
1,134 Posts
I only learned the basics of guitar and piano, save for the fact that I don't know any scales and I can't read notes. My main objective was to play along to my favorite songs, and that what was required of me to play in each song became a lesson so to speak. Playing along to Green Day and Nirvana helped me with power chords while playing along to the Smashing Pumpkins and Radiohead helped me with more elaborate techniques (But I think I may need to learn more if I want to do those crazy Billy Corgan solos :sad:). With piano, I quickly abandoned learning scales and notes in favor of alternative methods. I was using a piano that had software that told me what keys to hit in a song. My piano teacher didn't seem to mind as long as I knew how to play a given song.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Self taught flamenco guitarist and pianist...The sa,e with vocals if that counts...but I've been taught classical guitar...I don't particularly look down on formal lessons in music, in fact that can open many things for you; It doesn't close you up to being somewhat independent, it gives you starting place and it gives you tools to start out with before going out and doing your own thing. I suppose with classical guitar it's better to have lessons, maybe with modern guitar it's not neccesary...idk lol
I used to think of it that way...Regina Spektor said that's it good to have that starting area and to learn those things...but to each his own xD
I kinda value those lessons because with certain things, I am a bit of a perfectionist -_-
IDK if I make sense sometimes...but I'm gonna go ahead and press 'post quick reply' :)

When I was first starting to play guitar and was taking lessons, it did seem like I couldn't do certain things and like I couldn't do my own thing, but once you get more advanced, that changes completely...

·
Registered
18 Posts
This sounds like an INFP thing, to teach oneself music. I have also done the same, but I teach myself more than just that. I learn more on my own than I do in school.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Self taught guitar. Got many years of piano, and i quit drum lessons because i felt like i learned everything and was just a waste of money because i wasn't learning anything.

Does anyone have an ideas on college degrees for music. I want to be a performer and producer but not sure what degree to go in.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I always value what a master can teach me though...with certain things I'll teach myself only because that's all I can do...I want to learn how to play several different kinds of instruments and it's just not feasible to take lessons...but if I could I would.
I don't think it's an INFP thing because so many people are self taught...that's why there's a prevalence of guitar tablature on the internet...

I think with taking lessons from someone who's had many years of experience is special because they can teach you things you may otherwise take long to figure out...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Self taught flamenco guitarist and pianist
hey, that's awesome! i love flamenco. you can be our resident paco de lucia-meets-regina spektor.

i took a handful of weeks of guitar lessons until they plateaued where i decided i had a grasp of the basics and wasn't learning anything new i could apply. the instructor was also one of those egoist types who spent 95% of the time doing the i-play-and-you-watch-and-say-ooh-pretty-and-flirt-with-me routine and 5% of the time actually teaching. i don't regret it though because, at least pre-youtube, there were things about technique that were better learned in person.

still, after the plateau, i ended up learning more through independent experimentation which was much better suited to me.

piano and everything else self-taught and facilitated by the advent of high-speed internet and regular listening to philip glass and bob dylan.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Lessons are never a bad thing, But I think it just comes down to is actually teaching you...
On my drum lessons I picked up beats fast so now he's teaching me all these cool and fun techniques that I never knew existed and he does make sure that I ain't doing the same thing for too long because he, himself said "It's just a waste of money when people make you spend your whole lesson doing 1 thing" If I don't pick something up during lesson then I remember it and practice at home.

I have no idea if it would be the same for Guitar's and other things though but I'm sure it can never be bad. :p

Self teaching is good but lessons can normally help you get to advance a bit better or faster I feel.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I self-taught myself piano for about two months, and managed to learn some of my favourite pieces. I love it so much, sometimes I spend the whole day practicing :happy:
Everybody advised me to take lessons, but I refused, I hate being technique-focused, and I always want to achieve things I care about by myself, in order to be proud of myself. I think I also hated the idea of practicing for somebody else than myself, when I interact with people I always feel like I have to please them, forgetting about my own pleasure.
And I think what INFPs might also hate in the fact of taking lessons is that it implies deadlines, I personally procrastinate a lot when it comes to things I have not decided doing myself (sometimes I can even read a whole book except the one chapter I was supposed to study :tongue: ).

I finally started taking piano lessons two weeks ago, and I feel it has helped me with technique, although I still hate being taught as to my interpretation (I value freedom a lot when it comes to the way you play).

I think you just have to find the right teacher, I mean the teacher who will help you find your interpretation and concentrate on technical details an INFP hates but that are still very important.

Reactions: niki
1 - 20 of 214 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.