Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Musings/queries about ENFP vs. ENTP & their "extroverted" self-actualization process?

Excuse me if this is too similar to things already archived... I searched and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the types are and the functions. I'm an INFJ and am puzzled by a couple of ENTP and ENFP people I know; can you help me understand them??

Here's the thing: they both seem to "extrovert" their processes of personal authenticity and development. So, like, they use the world and other people to figure out who they are... with the ENTP, it's like they are using the world to figure out and develop their ideas and ideal self, and the ENFP, their authentic "feelings". Both display an unusual level of vulnerability and human messiness disguised as performance, pushing buttons with their actual "selves"(Maybe I'm just seeing this as see-through and picking up on the vulnerable energy cuz I'm an INFJ??)

This dynamic can be inspiring at best, as they both have brilliant intellects, are great writers, and make wonderful performance art. They're also both incredibly fun to be around, and entertaining. But it can be alienating/totally lacking self-awareness at worst. It's like they are trying to figure out who they are and are very invested in authenticity, but it's a... loud and external process that involves "testing" other people and objects around them, and asking others to essentially bear witness to their incredibly vulnerable process of self-actualization. And sometimes it's a conscious performance, but often it seems like they don't realize what they're doing. They both do things that are overwhelming to those around them, but they both are offended by personal or critical feedback and bad reactions.

The dynamic, essentially, is that society/people bear witness to them, their true vulnerability and self-actualization journey... not say anything critical to them because they'll be really hurt, even when they've been overbearing or offensive.

Is it accurate to say this? Am I reading this correctly? Help me figure this out? Thank you!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, thanks! That is helpful, since I'm just learning and had this potential insight today. So maybe I'm on the right track to understanding.

Might it also be correct to say that many people as teenagers have felt like these two types (even if they weren't actually these types?) When I was going through my finding-myself and rebellion phases as a teenager, I probably channeled a lot of this contrarian-but-sensitive energy.

·
Banned
2,244 Posts
Ah, thanks! That is helpful, since I'm just learning and had this potential insight today. So maybe I'm on the right track to understanding.

Might it also be correct to say that many people as teenagers have felt like these two types (even if they weren't actually these types?) When I was going through my finding-myself and rebellion phases as a teenager, I probably channeled a lot of this contrarian-but-sensitive energy.

Yes, many have commented that ENxPs have a child-like energy.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Yeah I'd say so. Thing is that Ni's thrive on consistency- being able to build intuitive understanding/pattern into as tall a skyscraper as possible is what you try to do. It allows you to be more grounded in your identity. Ne's thrive on creation from scratch- being able to build intuitive understanding into a stable building as quickly as possible, and leaving it to fall into slight disrepair for a while as we push forward to build the next building- we value the ability to build faster from scratch (which is why we tend to be great improvisors, particularly in a new environment).

You guys obviously have Fe as secondary as well, which works in conjunction with Ni to provide consistency- Fe believes in moral "truths". Fi by comparison believes moral "opinions" are more important than trying to find some overarching "truth" and making everyone stick to it. Ti is the same, just with logic rather than values. Thing is- opinions are far more flexible than truth.

So yeah, you can see why these factors give us a kind of "ever-renewing" nature to our personal growth. That's why you might
perceive us as being less solid on the inside- we haven't spent years slowly developing the same self-actualizing path like you may have.. We tend to almost multi-task between paths and search for new ones consistently, which leaves us with great flexibility but far less consistency on the inside.

Having said that, our authenticity is so important to us precisely because we feel this pull to shift. There has to be an inner-core definition of authenticity- particularly for ENFPs, as otherwise we would feel like we're adrift in empty air with nothing to latch onto.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'd say so. Thing is that Ni's thrive on consistency- being able to build intuitive understanding/pattern into as tall a skyscraper as possible is what you try to do. It allows you to be more grounded in your identity. Ne's thrive on creation from scratch- being able to build intuitive understanding into a stable building as quickly as possible, and leaving it to fall into slight disrepair for a while as we push forward to build the next building- we value the ability to build faster from scratch (which is why we tend to be great improvisors, particularly in a new environment).

You guys obviously have Fe as secondary as well, which works in conjunction with Ni to provide consistency- Fe believes in moral "truths". Fi by comparison believes moral "opinions" are more important than trying to find some overarching "truth" and making everyone stick to it. Ti is the same, just with logic rather than values. Thing is- opinions are far more flexible than truth.

So yeah, you can see why these factors give us a kind of "ever-renewing" nature to our personal growth. That's why you might
perceive us as being less solid on the inside- we haven't spent years slowly developing the same self-actualizing path like you may have.. We tend to almost multi-task between paths and search for new ones consistently, which leaves us with great flexibility but far less consistency on the inside.

Having said that, our authenticity is so important to us precisely because we feel this pull to shift. There has to be an inner-core definition of authenticity- particularly for ENFPs, as otherwise we would feel like we're adrift in empty air with nothing to latch onto.
Fascinating food for thought, particularly re: opinions vs. truths. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts