Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruining my life. I always get sick over everything. I'm always scared of messing up, getting in a car wreck, calling to schedule an appointment, anything. I'm scared of how other's think of me and what happens to me. I'm always worried about something and I can never be at ease. Help?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Learn to take things as they come, and know that you'll have the capabilities to pull through each and every obstacle you face. Opinions are irrelevant, and mistakes are far from uncommon enough to be blown out of proportion. Recognise that with every uncomfortable situation you willingly put yourself into, you come out of it that little bit stronger.

I have a lot of experience with anxiety, but of course there are varying intensities and minds are quite different. In short: If you want to truly live, then you need to get stronger; which can also involve learning to relax. Every breath during which you aren't working toward that goal is one wasted.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Anxiety (or worry) is one of the 3 primal survival emotions that can have a very powerful effect on your life. The other two are sadness and anger. If you feel overwhelmed with one of them or a combination of them (which can produce other negative emotions like envy, jealousy, etc.) it means that your higher brain functions in Neocortex (neomammalian part of your brain) have given way to your more primitive brain functions in the limbic system (paleomammalian part of your brain) or basal ganglia (reptilian part). That usually happens due to a poor health condition of your body.

What does it mean to you?

You need to start working on your health to help your higher brain functions to retake control. Your Neocortex requires a lot of energy but it's not essential to survival, that's why when your body fails to obtain appropriate energy balance your Neocortex fails to launch (compromising your memory, reasoning, impulse control, creativity etc.). The most important step you can take to improve your health is to start getting plenty of fresh air, clean water and exposure to sunlight. Second is to start exercising (that's why I will always recommend people overwhelmed with their emotions to start by taking walks or jogging outside immediately). The 3rd is to start eating well. The 4th is to start getting plenty of sleep.

Clean air, water and sunlight are very important to maintain appropriate chemical balance in human body. Many people in western society do not realize how low the oxygen levels and how poor the air quality can be in-doors. Moreover, many people are afraid of the sun, or simply do not spend enough time outside to get a healthy and appropriate exposure. Physical movement is also important for the same reason. If you have a physically active job, you still need to learn many things about exercise that no one ever taught you at school in order to maintain a healthy body. However, if you do not have a physically active job, after fresh air and exposure to sun, exercise is the key to get you start feeling well. So, simply start walking outside or jogging outside as much as you can throughout the day (50 min a day all at once or in intervals, 6 times a week - is the minimum for someone who just wants to be healthy), and you will see the difference immediately.

Nutrition can be a very time consuming subject, and needs a lot of time and explanation, but basics are these: stay away from sugar, alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and other stimulants, white flour and pasteurized milk. Drink clean water (2L at least a day, and tap water is not clean), eat plenty of vegetables and wild fish (stay away from tuna, however), not more than 3 fruits a day, drink only fresh juice within half an hour of making it and never packaged, and make sure you are consuming either organic eggs, organic cheese or organic meat for protein. If you can not afford fish, get Omega 3 wild fish supplements.

As for sleep, as long as you do your walks outside as I've mentioned already, you'll sleep fine. Just make sure to get 8 hours of sleep a day, and that's that.

Even though all of that info is just basic. It can still be very overwhelming to try to incorporate all of it at once in your life. So, start with walks right away, and then you can progress from there. If you ever feel that you need more help, you can also hire a personal trainer or a wellness coach like myself in the future. I may not be the most affordable choice, but your local community center or YMCA should be able to offer a much more affordable option :)

Think well, train smart, and feel ALIVE!

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
Be brave. No matter how afraid or anxious you are, know that it's not going to hurt you, as long as you own it.

When your body is getting stressed, your mind is racing, and your heart is beating fast, these are ways your body is using to prepare you, mentally and physically. It's actually making you stronger.

Write what you're feeling when you have an appointment, or anything that you need to do. Use your social network-- Friends, family, and counselors, to talk it out. Group therapy is supposed to be very helpful for anxiety.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I used to have moderate anxiety and now work in an environment where I'm regularly interacting one-on-one with strangers. I remember reading somewhere that people with anxiety tend to interpret ambiguous situations as threatening, and while it sounds obvious focusing on the fact that my interpretation of everything going on around me was negatively biased in such a way actually helped me to refocus.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Ruining my life. I always get sick over everything. I'm always scared of messing up, getting in a car wreck, calling to schedule an appointment, anything. I'm scared of how other's think of me and what happens to me. I'm always worried about something and I can never be at ease. Help?
Sorry to hear that, I understand what chronic anxiety is like.

I've had general anxiety for most of my life, and I went through a really bad period last year when I lost my job and my marriage broke up last year. However through mindfulness meditation, posture exercises, and self help practices. I managed to get my anxiety down to a generally low, manageable level.

However after steroid nasal spray, and a course of antibiotics I had my chronic anxiety return, recently. I was baffled till I began to research into probiotics and anxiety, and supplements and anxiety. There is research indicating that the health of the gut affects psychology and that probiotics can help. And there is research that vitamin deficiencies can contribute to psychological and cognitive issues, and that taking vitamins and supplement can minimize or eradicate psychological or cognitive issues.

And after trying probiotics for a week (which my doc advised after I explained my symptoms) I'm beginning to feel like I was before I took the nasal spray and antibiotics. I'm also going to get b-complex vitamins, and chelated magnesium or magnesium taurate.

(If you want overkill, also check out vitamin D deficiency and lactium).

And like a previous poster said; Drink filtered water (1.5L to 2L) and try to eat whole, unprocessed foods, and get 8 hrs sleep.

Physiology affects psychology, and vice versa.

I also highly recommend 20 minutes a day of mindfulness meditation.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
masturbate

Reactions: strangestdude
1 - 10 of 10 Posts