Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend seems to come across as an NT type. But I'm not sure which?

It's hard to tell if he's an Extrovert or Introvert. I'd lean towards E as he can be very loud and confident when he wants to be and he can approach almost anyone and start a conversation with them. He's very talkative and often dominates the conversation. He'd like to work as a nursery assistant or mentor so that involves other people. At the same time, he prefers to hang out in one-on-one situations a lot of the time, and often chooses to stay home reading, studying or playing video games rather than going out to a party. He's not shy by any means but he is prone to anxiety.

He seems to be more Intuitive than Sensor. He often talks using analogies and metaphors and is interested in abstract topics like psychology and theoretical physics. He is self-taught, has a photographic memory and loves to teach himself new ways of remembering information. He thinks of multiple outcomes to situations and likes to prepare for the worst. He's always thinking about the future and plans out the best way for him to succeed, but then regularly changes his plans depending on the obstacles life throws at him. He's the kind of person who will already have a plan B, C and D in place. He's a keen observer of other people and forms his own view on human behaviour through his observations, using his knowledge to communicate and manipulate. He loves to learn new information and forgets to take care of everyday things like chores and his room is always a mess.

He seems to be more Thinker than Feeler. He gets frustrated if things don't make logical sense and takes an analytical approach to most things. He's a problem-solver and likes to approach life in a trouble-shooting way, analyzing the data, then thinking up the most efficient solution. He often tries to argue his point even if it's not exactly true. He often mixes up his facts or figures but continues to stress how right he is. Then the next day he'll totally contradict his previous argument by having the opposite view. He's not very consistent at all so you can never trust what he's going to say or do. He can be quite abrupt and insensitive when he speaks and doesn't always consider how other people feel. The only time he seems to act polite and charming is when he wants something. He's also a very emotional and turbulent person and gets offended easily and lashes out. He finds it hard to put his feelings aside sometimes and if someone is upset with him he will pursue the matter until it gets resolved (usually he just tries to argue his point until he wins them over).

Judger or Perceiver? This I am really not sure of. He desires control over his environment and likes to plan and prepare for every scenario which makes me think Judger. He always says how he hates wasting time and energy. But also, he can be very impulsive, spontaneous and unplanned like a Perceiver. He can be very risk-taking at times. He says he likes to weigh up the odds and gamble , sometimes putting his life and his relationships in danger. He gets bored easily so likes to play Devil's advocate to shake things up. He's also quite indirect in the way he speaks like "maybe I'll call you later" or "I might do that next week, what do you think?". So I don't know...

P.S. I know there are the Cognitive Functions to consider as well, but I thought I'd just start with this for now.

·
Banned
375 Posts
@jobloggs

It's hard to tell if he's an Extrovert or Introvert. I'd lean towards E as he can be very loud and confident when he wants to be and he can approach almost anyone and start a conversation with them. He's very talkative and often dominates the conversation. He'd like to work as a nursery assistant or mentor so that involves other people. At the same time, he prefers to hang out in one-on-one situations a lot of the time, and often chooses to stay home reading, studying or playing video games rather than going out to a party. He's not shy by any means but he is prone to anxiety.
Doesn't particularly indicate anything of E or I nature that could be easily determined. You should ask him whether he "recharges" himself by being alone or by being in a group. Whether solitude or socializing grants him greater energy and comfort.

He seems to be more Intuitive than Sensor. He often talks using analogies and metaphors and is interested in abstract topics like psychology and theoretical physics. He is self-taught, has a photographic memory and loves to teach himself new ways of remembering information. He thinks of multiple outcomes to situations and likes to prepare for the worst. He's always thinking about the future and plans out the best way for him to succeed, but then regularly changes his plans depending on the obstacles life throws at him. He's the kind of person who will already have a plan B, C and D in place. He's a keen observer of other people and forms his own view on human behaviour through his observations, using his knowledge to communicate and manipulate. He loves to learn new information and forgets to take care of everyday things like chores and his room is always a mess.
That last part is probably common for all guys no matter what type they have. They're likely to be messy until they get married. Then their wives take care of their mess.

Whether he's an N and S is again difficult to say from your paragraph, although I see a slight leaning towards N.

He seems to be more Thinker than Feeler. He gets frustrated if things don't make logical sense and takes an analytical approach to most things. He's a problem-solver and likes to approach life in a trouble-shooting way, analyzing the data, then thinking up the most efficient solution. He often tries to argue his point even if it's not exactly true. He often mixes up his facts or figures but continues to stress how right he is. Then the next day he'll totally contradict his previous argument by having the opposite view. He's not very consistent at all so you can never trust what he's going to say or do. He can be quite abrupt and insensitive when he speaks and doesn't always consider how other people feel. The only time he seems to act polite and charming is when he wants something. He's also a very emotional and turbulent person and gets offended easily and lashes out. He finds it hard to put his feelings aside sometimes and if someone is upset with him he will pursue the matter until it gets resolved (usually he just tries to argue his point until he wins them over).
This whole paragraph could be indicative of both T and F.
Males, especially if they're introverted, will by large behave in a very T-ish manner even if they are actually F.

Judger or Perceiver? This I am really not sure of. He desires control over his environment and likes to plan and prepare for every scenario which makes me think Judger. He always says how he hates wasting time and energy. But also, he can be very impulsive, spontaneous and unplanned like a Perceiver. He can be very risk-taking at times. He says he likes to weigh up the odds and gamble , sometimes putting his life and his relationships in danger. He gets bored easily so likes to play Devil's advocate to shake things up. He's also quite indirect in the way he speaks like "maybe I'll call you later" or "I might do that next week, what do you think?". So I don't know...
Just as with everything else you've written, it's very difficult to say. I'd say he's slightly more J based on his behavior.

But this whole description in my view is way too generic to be of any help in typing. Many guys can find themselves to be fitting this template, me including. You should focus on things that really make him stand out. I can give an example of my best friend. He more or less fits the template you described, but:

- Despite being friendly, sociable and (softly) argumentative on the surface with everyone around him, he's actually extremely private deep below the surface. Even as his best friend, I rarely know of any of his grievances or problems, because he doesn't share those with anyone, not even with his parents. Even his girlfriend sometimes wonders what he's thinking or feeling, as he simply refuses to share his inner world with the rest of us, unless we force him to do it. Once every 2-3 years he might ask me for a very important life advice completely out of nowhere, but after he receives my advice, he closes up again, until next time. Even though I fit your template as much as he does, I'm quite the opposite in terms of privacy. I may be shy to share my inner world in public, but I will at the very least do it over online chat, and sometimes it may be impossible to shut me up. I try to include my friends into my inner world by default, while he by default tries to exclude them. Hence, even though I may appear more introverted/shy in public than him, he's actually the more introverted one.

- Both me and him prefer to avoid conflict, and attempt to disarm an opponent with words or actions without actually having to fight. But he has moral codes that prevent him from fighting no matter what. For some reason, as he told me, if he would jump into a fight, he'd lose respect for himself. Whereas I am quite the opposite. I will lose respect for myself if I keep running away from fights, hence I have a much shorter fuse when it comes to dealing with people. I will jump into a fight once a fight is warranted, and I will enjoy it. I will indefinitely protect myself, my dignity, as well as my friends and their dignity. Because I see "protecting my tribe" as one of my primary purposes in life. Fighting for what is "right" and fighting for "my people" gives me an ecstatic feeling of fulfilment.

- We both notice high intellectual capacity in each other, but the way we use it is very different. He tries to focus more on solitary sciences, has an obsession with astronomy and space photography, and is actually currently attempting to get employed at a company that manufactures some parts for satellites. He's really the type of guy who could probably wear a lab coat for the rest of his life and explore space 24/7. While I on the other hand, find space-related issues to be of secondary importance, as my primary focus is on the human realm. I have a strong leaning towards jurisprudence, security, diplomacy, political science, philosophy, history, military science. He's more devoted to reshaping the technological world, while I'm more devoted to reshaping the human world. And I definitely could never imagine myself spending my life away in a lab.

In light of the above, he's more T and I'm more F, even though we both more or less fit the template of your boyfriend you described; both highly concerned with logical consistency in speech and thought; etc.

If you want to figure out your bf's type, it's best you subject him to a large number of tests, as well as try to dig much deeper into him than what is seen on the surface.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts