Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently had an MRI and decided to ask to have the pictures on disk. I find them fascinating but noticed that there is a marked difference between my right and left hemisphere. I am unsure which lobe is larger, the left Frontal, the right Parietal or the right Occipital? (I am seeing a doctor and am in no way using what you say as diagnosis, simply curiosity). I figured an entire forum of people who live to dissect and process information was the perfect place to post this! Have fun, I look forward to what you have to say and how you think it may relate to my personality type...

https://plus.google.com/u/0/110917127798723390751/posts/8PghQN5ceSv?pid=6137240621829919410&oid=110917127798723390751

·
Registered
87 Posts
You made me laugh. I didn't look at your MRI. It would require brushing up on neuropsychology to be able to fully appreciate it.

What stuck me as funny is that while obsessing on my upcoming gallbladder surgery, my main concern is, "I must insist that the doctor give me my gallbladder afterward. I want to see it. Open it up and look inside." Now how weird is that? Not weird at all for an INTJ. I want to ask doctor to video tape the surgery for me, too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol Chani8 I am no INTJ but I have a curious streak a mile wide! I have a feeling that by the time I sit down with my doctor on the 27th I will have a million questions for him and none of them related to the headaches for which I received the MRI lol. I see the images and I question the composition and what it means, the amount of grey to white matter and what it means, why one side is bigger than the other and what that could possibly mean. How the composition of my brain relates to my being an ENFP? So many questions and no direction lol. I envy my J hubby for how easily he can boil things down to what really matters. At the end of the day it is simply really cool to be able to say that you have seen your own brain!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hm... well with the fact that you're all too willing to allow INTJs to see into your head (metaphorically and literally) and dissect and process that which is your brain, I can safely assume that you, my dear, are 100% ENFP. :wink:

Case closed. *brings down gavel against the desk*

Serious answer. I don't know enough about neuroscience to accurately give you an answer as to whether or not it correlates to your personality. But in all honesty, it doesn't seem to me like the right lobe is larger than the left, it just seems as though the bottom half is just simply not aligned straight enough to be perceived as equal in size. So I don't think it has anything to do with your personality. It's just lopsided.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
fMRI probably would be more informative as far as cognitive functions, given that it's functional MRI, haha. I think grey vs white matter is too subtle to detect by eyeballing it at the whole-brain level. It would be an interesting study if they found a way to measure different cognitive processes that reflect the MBTI framework, but MBTI in itself isn't empirical (it's a top-down framework whereas studying cognitive functioning with fMRI is more bottom-up); i.e., take an established mental function such as working memory and measure it, look at what happens in the brain, such that you have a physiological definition of "working memory". But if the functions could actually be tested with certain tasks like working memory can be, I don't think it's that farfetched. Ambitious, maybe.

I was a psych major/bio minor so I'm just an amateur and I could be wrong. ;)

Reactions: FortyTwo

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mimari: You made me actually laugh out loud and I thank you, for I dearly love to laugh. It is not everyday you hear someone tell you that your brain is lopsided and have them mean it in a literal fashion!

Ninjahitsawall: You sound brilliant and I am sure are at this very moment looking to see if this research has been started at any level!

I suppose for myself: I will continue to have a million questions with no answers; however, I do love hearing how differently you approach the subject than I do.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Mimari: You made me actually laugh out loud and I thank you, for I dearly love to laugh. It is not everyday you hear someone tell you that your brain is lopsided and have them mean it in a literal fashion!
I didn't think that would be funny, but then again people seem to always laugh at things I say seriously without intent to be funny then when I do say things with the intent to be funny. That has always puzzled me. But hey, glad you could get a laugh. :p

·
Registered
234 Posts
I recently had an MRI and decided to ask to have the pictures on disk. I find them fascinating but noticed that there is a marked difference between my right and left hemisphere. I am unsure which lobe is larger, the left Frontal, the right Parietal or the right Occipital? (I am seeing a doctor and am in no way using what you say as diagnosis, simply curiosity). I figured an entire forum of people who live to dissect and process information was the perfect place to post this! Have fun, I look forward to what you have to say and how you think it may relate to my personality type...

https://plus.google.com/u/0/110917127798723390751/posts/8PghQN5ceSv?pid=6137240621829919410&oid=110917127798723390751
What marked differences do you see? I don't see anything physically significant. I'm not familiar with current research correlating MBTI functions with MRI scans. fMRI, PET, or MEG scans would be interesting to correlate with certain mental states / activities from MBTI functions perspective, while controlling for other factors.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't think that would be funny, but then again people seem to always laugh at things I say seriously without intent to be funny then when I do say things with the intent to be funny. That has always puzzled me. But hey, glad you could get a laugh. :p
I guess for a person like me who is always being referred to as one type of crazy or another it was amusing that what could have been an inference of my being "off" was an actual literal comment on the physical composition of my brain. Although your comment in regards to my most certainly being an ENFP was part and parcel of the laughter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts