Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often wonder about my dad's MBTI type. I wouldn't really feel comfotable asking him to do a test, but it still intrigues me.

I'll try to describe him in as much detail as possible - I tend to assess people according to their "vibe", or a very general sense I get of them in real life, but that doesn't translate very wel into writing so here goes:

He's very methodical, and I'm almost certain he's a J - he is extremely neat and organised, and has a very fixed set of notions of right/wrong, and "that's just the way it's done". He's also *incredibly* stubborn once he digs his heels in. I'm a J too so as you can probably imagine arguments between us can be very interesting... *eyeroll*

At the same time, he can be very empathetic and sympathises easily. He's very loyal to his family and you can tell that he really loves them, whatever difficulties may arise between us.

He can be very... overwhelming, I find, in arguments. He does have a bit of a tendency to 'shout' his own way. Not in a deliberate attempt to be intimidating, I think. But he certainly doesn't have any problem in verbalising what's on his mind or fighting his corner.

I personally feel he has a tendency to over-dramatise things or make them out to be bigger deals than they are. He would respond to normal misbehaviour on my teenage brother's part, for example, in a way I think is totally disproportionate. He thinks my brother's behaviour is indicative of some sort of sociopath, when really he's just being cheeky and not doing enough study.

He can have an explosive temper when he feels wronged.

He doesn't have *great* self-awareness. He doesn't recognise the "alpha-male" element that exists in a lot of his confrontation with my brother, for example. He's better than my ISFP mother though, who ironically as an introvert has no self-awareness or introspection at all.

He does seem to plan ahead and think about the future. He asked an ex of mine what his 5-year-plan was :blushed: fucking mortified.

I'm thinking either ENFJ or ESFJ, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I think he is ESFJ indeed.

I know one ESFJ with a great deal of N and your description is just like him. I asked him to do the test, and he was intrigued by the result and the description. At first I didn't expect him to react like that at all, I thought he wouldn't find it very interesting. But only for the moment he was interested, I'm pretty sure he didn't do anything with it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts