Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to type the rest of my family. So far I didn't have much trouble with my mother and sister (both obviously ESFP) but my father is a bit harder to type.

About him:
- I assumed he was an I first, because he's not a very social person. He doesn't have many friends and he's not outgoing at all. But on the other hand he can't stand being alone. He's also a very good talker, and convince people easily if he needs to.
- I'm pretty sure he's a P. He doesn't plan things ahead, but just waits for anything to happen. He's not that organised or structured.
- He does everything to fix a problem now, regardless of future consequences.
- I noticed that when he buys something new, he will always read through the manual or guidebook before even touching it.
- He's intelligent, and his ideas are usually rational and logical.He works with computers, and has a very good understanding of how they work.
- He's also a very emotional and sensitive person. His feelings are hurt easily, and he will do a lot for the people he cares about.
- He's manipulative. He can play in on other people's feelings very well, only to use them for his own needs.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm trying to type the rest of my family. So far I didn't have much trouble with my mother and sister (both obviously ESFP) but my father is a bit harder to type.

About him:
- I assumed he was an I first, because he's not a very social person. He doesn't have many friends and he's not outgoing at all. But on the other hand he can't stand being alone. He's also a very good talker, and convince people easily if he needs to.
He's an E for sure coz he can't stand being alone.

- I'm pretty sure he's a P. He doesn't plan things ahead, but just waits for anything to happen. He's not that organised or structured.
- I noticed that when he buys something new, he will always read through the manual or guidebook before even touching it.
That's a P alright

- He's intelligent, and his ideas are usually rational and logical.He works with computers, and has a very good understanding of how they work.
That's a T

- He's also a very emotional and sensitive person. His feelings are hurt easily, and he will do a lot for the people he cares about.
A bit of F, but maybe not dominant

- He's manipulative. He can play in on other people's feelings very well, only to use them for his own needs.
That's a T

I have a feeling that your dad is either ESTP or ENTP.
I have some further questions

For ESTP, the dominant is Se.
- Is he very hands on?
- Does he enjoy doing out door activities or playing sports

For ENTP, the dominant is Ne
- Is he funny, make sarcastic jokes and etc?
- Seems lively
- Does he tend to be critical and complain about almost everything?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I'll do the best I can with these...

Sounds like it could be Fe...

I live in a family of Js, and that could certainly still be J.

I'm not quite sure...

Not P at all as the above poster indicated. Especially if it's an Ne or an Se dominant user as I notice these types more than others seem to enjoy figuring things out for themselves.

Ti?

You would need to know his motivation, but this could be Fe or Fi.

Again, sounds like Fe.

I'd try XXFJ.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For ESTP, the dominant is Se.
- Is he very hands on?
- Does he enjoy doing out door activities or playing sports

For ENTP, the dominant is Ne
- Is he funny, make sarcastic jokes and etc?
- Seems lively
- Does he tend to be critical and complain about almost everything?
I would say no to all of those questions except for the last one. Having criticism on everything is very much like him. But he's not a very active or lively person, and a procastinator.

Thanks for the input, both of you. I'll read into the suggested types to see which fits. :)

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
you're misunderstood I/E Extraversion implies gathering energy from the outside world.
It does NOT mean people.

Again you have misunderstood, I know definite J's who lack organization in certain areas but are insanely organized in others. Some simply won't know how to organize if not shown.

Be specific does he read through it, look at the pictures or skim it?

hmm

I'm thinking ISTP.

what does he find funny?
What kind of music does he listen to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you're misunderstood I/E Extraversion implies gathering energy from the outside world.
It does NOT mean people.

Again you have misunderstood, I know definite J's who lack organization in certain areas but are insanely organized in others. Some simply won't know how to organize if not shown.

Be specific does he read through it, look at the pictures or skim it?

hmm

I'm thinking ISTP.

what does he find funny?
What kind of music does he listen to.
He reads though it entirely. As for music, I know he likes Santana, Sting, Simply Red.. that kind of stuff.

It's a bit hard for me to say what he finds funny. He often pretends to laugh at whatever anyone else says/finds funny, so i'm not sure what he genuinely likes.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
But on the other hand he can't stand being alone.
Probably not an ISTP then. Most ISTPs really enjoy their alone time. I agree with the possibly XXFJ assessment. The laughing at other's unfunny jokes seem like another possible indication for stronger Fe along with the manipulation and sensitive feelings.

Have your read about function theory? http://personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/24032-intro-function-theory-more-detailed-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html has some info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts