1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first Enneagram test, care to join and type me? 馃榿

EDIT: My phone corrected "quest" instead of "test", sorry about that
Hi guys! I'll go for this quest, I like Enneagram theory a lot
Here I go

Main Questions

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?

I'm quite ambitious, care to make a difference in the world and become quite famous and competent in my sector, but, unfortunately, a bit too lazy to completely dedicate myself to something and prefer to switch from different things to do, I love new experiences!

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?
Reaching my objective and become knowledgeable and competent in whatever I do, trying to make the best out of my sector and reach important milestones, possibly managing to change something in it or , better, in the society

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?
Someone who deliberately hurt others or never managed to have accomplished something in my life, living a steady, superficial life; my most strong value is the free speech and liberty of action, everyone's opinion should be respected in a way or another, I try to be kind and gentle to everyone, hoping to make a good impression, and try to be as helpful as possible to people close to me

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?
Losing my mind and my free will/liberty of action, because I would feel stuck in the circumstances and have the terrible sensation of being powerless

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?

I would like to feel appreciated, be seen competent, knowledgeable and capable of reaching goals, I would make others know that they can count on me and always feel free to express their opinions, without being afraid of judgement; I see myself as lazy, with a decent intelligence, but having troubles to keep a constant pace on things, becoming indecisive in some ways...

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
When I am praised and acknowledged at work/ in my studies or in my personal hobbies and when people thank me and tell me I've been helpful; I felt worst when I lost my cool-head in critical situations or made a lot of mistakes on important situations/tests

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.
a) sometimes I lose my Temper mostly because I get angry at myself, but I prefer to keep self disciplined and in control of my Emotional/diplomatic state
b) well, I always felt a lot judged in my life, so feeling shameful is always been a constant for me xD but lately I'm trying to become more carefree, but I have quite the perfectionistic tendencies xD
c)I'm pretty controlled and hardly got by anxiety, but sometimes it happened and it sucks, but is the most rare situation of these 3 states

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.

a) low threshold to stress and easily lose confidence on my capabilities in these situation, but, especially on work, I try not to back down and turn the tables
b)Neutral, I enjoy changes of pace and novelty in different situations, but probably have a preference to a steady and sustained rhythm
c) I can be quite assertive and obstinate on my ideas and accept and enjoy conflict(I'm quite competitive, especially when things regarding myself xD), but prefer diplomacy and common ground
9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?
I'd like to be in a "Charge" position on things and necessarily require the authority in doing so, and accepted the responsibility deriving from.that power, but I'm quite skeptical of others in that position because a lot of people in authoritarian position just prefer to ignore their powers or, worse, abuse of them to take advantage of the weaker and subjected people under it

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?

I'm a philanthropic kind of guy, I love meeting new people and always believe that they can make something good from their potential if given the possibilitiy , but at the same time I'm skeptical AF of their motives and hardly trust someone who I just knew, even if I'm quite open about myself and my experiences

Optional Questions

11. Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.
My first work experience last year, it made me aware of my potential and I enjoyed been put in tough situations to see and learn how to cope with them! It boosted a bit my self-esteem and helped me a lot with my indecision issues :D

12. Comment on your relationship with trust.

When I give trust to someone is because I give them the 100% of respect and love them as human beings, it's quite hard to get if from me since I'm pretty skeptical, even if hardly put large barriers when meeting new people, but it takes a lot to gain my trust; when I trust someone, is because I feel free to tell them every single thing of me and be as natural as possible without feeling judged

13. List some of the traits you: a) like; b) dislike most about yourself.
A) my sense of responsibility in the workplace, giving everything I got (I have a harder time on this in University); my sense of adaptability and my ability in being a "jack of all trades"
b) my second doubting issues; my shyness with the other sex and difficult times with romance and flirt; my overthinking style of life xD

14. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?
Their potential and capabilities, their sincerity and dedition to their ideals and thoughts :D

15. If a stranger insults you, how do you respond/feel? What if they compliment you?
If someone insults me, at first, I keep my mouth shut,, then I'l if it's prolonged I can easily pick on their weak spots and hurt when they suffer most, but I hardly ever done it xD
If someone compliments me I feel pretty happy and acknowledged and, especially if a close friend of me, compliment them in exchange :D

16. What's something you are: a) thankful you have; b) wish you could have? Why?
My family and the liberty of doing whatever I wanted for all of my life and some of the values they transmitted to me and the happiness and reliability guarantee that people close to me transmit;
I wish I could had more wealth and economic Independence because I'd love to live alone and make my investments, and also more spontaneity and physical coordination without much overthinking because sometimes I feel "paralyzed" to act since afraid of losing better possibility

Thank you guys for the patience and the help :D
If you have an idea also to my MBTI type (I guess xNTP) I'd gladly accept it!
My big five is SCUEI BTW! Thanks again

Banned
Probably 9w1, I guess? If not, 2w3 would be my next guess, followed by 6w7.

The main reason I picked 9 over 2 is you seem to have a connection to 6 and that's 9's disintegration point.

You seem more like an FJ than an NTP, as a side note.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Probably 9w1, I guess? If not, 2w3 would be my next guess, followed by 6w7.

The main reason I picked 9 over 2 is you seem to have a connection to 6 and that's 9's disintegration point.

You seem more like an FJ than an NTP, as a side note.
Thanks for the reply! Yes, 9w1 seems a viable choice, I can be quite assertive and stand-offish sometimes when my ideas are threatened or people make pretty close minded judgement, but I definitely have a preference for harmony and hardly start a fight or become pretty pushy...
Interesting your observation about the FJ preference! I don't think I have a so high Fe valuing, I'd rather prefer logic about sentiments, but anything is possible, I guess :)
Thanks again

Banned
@Jackobuss
On second read and after some sleep... I'm not as confident about 2w3 anymore, or even 9w1. Sorry about that; I was really tired as I read it. 3w2 might be a better option. Or 1 itself, either wing. You talk about shame and competence, both of which fits 3 if you follow the buzzwords. But 1 might apply, too, since anger can turn into shame if repressed.

Which instinctual stacking do you relate to the most, so far?

FWIW, if you're actually an ENTP, 3 would be more "typical" than any of the other suggestions (except 6w7), but as an INTJ 6w7 I'm certainly not going to try to fit you into a box :tongue:

Banned
@Paradigm - Out of curiosity, how does anger turn into shame if repressed for 1s?
In basic terms, they feel shame about being angry, as if they should be "above" that (usually). It can go the opposite way, too - pretty much anything can be confused for anything else.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evil-deeds/200901/the-primacy-anger-problems
In my view, it is a grave error to dismiss anger or rage as secondary and therefore less significant emotions than fear, shame, anxiety or love in the psychotherapy process. Anger is a primary emotion that tends to be repressed in most patients. Indeed, it is an emotion, like the experience of anxiety, about which we often feel shame, due to our negative views of anger.
Most patients who seek psychotherapy suffer far more from "anger phobia" than "shame phobia." Indeed, for most patients, it is easier and seems more acceptable and less threatening to allow themselves to feel shame than anger or rage. In this respect, shame, fear or anxiety can mask anger or rage.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
@Paradigm
Thanks again for the reply! Actually, I figured it out that I'm INTP and I'm pretty sure about it :)
Aside from this, I took some test online today and most result were something between 9, 1 and 3, somewhere 2, but I won't rely too much on them!
As for the variant, I think I have a preference for the social one, but also some traits of the Sexual I think they resonate with me!
I prefer not to focus, BTW, on "typical" suggestions because I don't resemble very much the "typical" INTP in some behaviours, since I belong in the Ne subtype :p
@grumpytiger thanks for the reply! So you agree mostly with Paradigm too, I assume? :D
Anyway, I've written a little bio on reddit asking there too, I link it here if it could be some kind of use to you.
Thanks again guys: https://www.reddit.com/r/Enneagram/comments/79nygr/no_idea_of_my_enneagram_care_to_join_in_and_try/

Registered
In basic terms, they feel shame about being angry, as if they should be "above" that (usually). It can go the opposite way, too - pretty much anything can be confused for anything else.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evil-deeds/200901/the-primacy-anger-problems
Ah thanks nice link, finally someone doesn't call anger a secondary emotion. :cool:

@grumpytiger thanks for the reply! So you agree mostly with Paradigm too, I assume? :D
Yeah and np!

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
@Paradigm so what are the main differences in your opinion between the 1 and 3 Enneagram? And how do they relate and differentiate with the 9? :D

Banned
@Paradigm so what are the main differences in your opinion between the 1 and 3 Enneagram?
Quick link: http://personalitycafe.com/enneagra...gram-reading-information-topics-interest.html

Okay, well, there's the obvious differences in triads:

Basic 鈥
Anger (Gut): 1, 9, 8
Shame (Image): 2, 3, 4
Fear (Head): 5, 6, 7

Hornevian (Freudian) 鈥
Compliant (Superego): 1, 2, 6
Assertive (Id): 3, 7, 8
Withdrawn (Ego): 4, 5, 9

Harmonic 鈥
Competency: 1, 3, 5
Positive Outlook: 2, 7, 9
Reactive: 4, 6, 8

Object relation 鈥
Frustration: 1, 4, 7
Rejection: 2, 5, 8
Attachment: 3, 6, 9

There's disintegration points to consider:
A "healthy" 1 goes to 7, an "unhealthy" 1 goes to 4.
A "healthy" 3 goes to 6, an "unhealthy" 3 goes to 9.

I find these more helpful in typing in the long run, honestly. Many people would describe likely traits and habits - and I will, somewhat - but these are more "comprehensive" in my opinion since they cover more ground and have less likelihood to pigeonhole people into having to act like whatever their type stereotypically is like. (For example, I'm a 6, but I'm not suspicious, nor am I fawning, like many descriptions claim.) It's entirely possible you may relate to one triad over another - Frustration is the one I relate to when I "shouldn't" - but typically you should have a majority relation to one type's triads over another type's.

While I do feel like most people don't really understand a few triads (Hornevian and Object Relation are the main ones, IMO), with enough reading you should be able to get a grip on 'em. Most people don't read enough, is all.

And how do they relate and differentiate with the 9? :D
9 is "asleep" to itself, more than any other type. That's not to say it's the least self-aware type (no type holds that, whatever you may read), but it tries to drown out anger more than 8 and 1 would. They disengage themselves socially and from the environment to maintain "inner peace," their priority, but also while trying to maintain "outer peace." As an example, the failure to maintain outer peace could be they say "yes, I'll do that" to your face, then end up not doing it. This is because their inner peace comes first. But a "healthy" 9 will see this is frustrating to others and try to avoid doing so, while an "average" 9 may see they do that (or not!) and not care.

However, it should be noted that many people fall on a spectrum of "healthy," "average," and "unhealthy" characteristics of type; that is, they can have traits from all categories. People can also be unhealthy in non-Enneagram ways (such as mental health) but be not-unhealthy in Enneagram ways. Because why would this be easy, right?

So, stereotypically, both 1 and 3 will be more outspoken in their objections: they don't strive to maintain inner peace as much. However, they both have influences from 9: 1w9, fairly obvious, and 3 from disintegration / being "unhealthy" / feeling "secure." (Keep in mind that a 1w2 is still influenced by the w9, it's just that their 2 either "overrules" the w9 preferences and/or [typically or] the w2 traits are more numerous than the w9.) A 1 is more aware of how their actions affect others - or themselves / their conscience - because of being a Superego type; a 3 is more concerned with things like "how will this make me look," "how will this impact me overall," and such.

As for the differences between 1 and 3, that's a bit harder for me tbh, and I'm more comfortable describing them along triad and disintegration lines than using their descriptions. However, I do have a few thoughts that, while maybe not exactly descriptive, can influence how you see the types.

1: The problem in their descriptions is they come off as 1s can moralistic only by society's standards, when that's not true. 1 is concerned with their own values, whether they be "Good" or "Evil" or in between. Every 1 values different things, and not all of those are going to align with how people describe 1s. An example I used last week, 1s are described as being super diligent, but a 1 may not value diligence, or apply diligence in only a few areas of their life, or have a completely different idea of what being diligent means... Among other things.

3: Two things. First: not every 3 is concerned with their career. 3s do tend to focus on being super-awesome at whatever they think they need to be, but it's not always their career. Some alternate examples: being the best partner, being the best spouse or parent, being the best academic.
Second: not every 3 is successful. They may be working towards being successful, but not have any luck at it, or fail at recognizing what they need to do to improve/advance, or feel they hit their "skill cap" (more rare). This is important because sometimes life just sucks, and there's this idea out there that 3s are incapable of succumbing to that. They are Assertive, yes, and that means they have a strong(er) desire to fight to reach their goal, but not every goal is attainable or immediately completed.
Oh, and additionally, some 3s and descriptions of 3 say they have a hard time recognizing their inner self (a trait shared with 9s), or like they don't even have an inner self. I tend to think this isn't universal, that many 3s are confident in who they are, but you may see this pop up once in a while.

I seem to have wrote a novella, so I'll just stop now >_>

Registered
Paradigm covered a lot of good points. I suggest you figure out your stacking. Whenever I see someone go on about their "potential" (for yourself and other people), I automatically think type 3.

I have a soft spot for 3s. A lot of descriptions describe them negatively but I find if you get to know them, they're incredibly giving, self-sacrificing, motivational, and genuinely care about the welfare of others.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
@Paradigm
Thank you, that's an amazing explanation, very full of details and notions!
Well, first of all, I have a strong system of principles that I strive to follow, but, sometimes I wonder If I do it mostly for myself or my "appearance", that's why I relate a lot with 1 and 3 enneagrams, so that's why I found some difficulties to estabilish. I'm pretty sure I have some traits of the 2, but I won't say is my "first" preference, except if it's 2w3! I want to be seen as competent and reliable to others, a "pillar of strenght" on which they can count on, but I have a preference for assertiveness I'd say!
Even if I'm INTP, I value pretty much my Fe and use it as a tool, combined with Ne, to understand others' and their motivations, and usually I'm quite proficient at it (don't wanna sound arrogant, of course :O just telling things that people said to me) and, an interesting detail, some friends of mine told me I could be a very good seller and quite capable of convincing others on my Pov with reasoning, BUT I have a hard time imposing myself on others and force them to do what I want (That's why I would never consider 8 as a possibility).
Another Thing! I always try to have a positive outlook on things, simply because others don't appreciate very much pessimism and neither do I :p Another thing that my best friend told me (sorry for the papyrus, I'm trying to come as clear as possible with you guys xD) is that, in cheering others up, I focus on a single detail and turn the perspective in a positive key, I don't know if all of this things are related, in some way, to a, enenagram preference!
Anyway, with all this cheerleading, sometimes I just feel the urge to disappear and recharge myself , working my own way thorugh my problems, since I feel the most capable on dealing with them and don't like to throw them in other people's face, just when I really feel down and in an impotent state, but that's maybe because I'm an introverted at heart and don't like to appear very much a troublesome guys in face of the others (that's one thing I read that 2 have a tendency to do, to "voice" all of threir problems and counting on others to work things together, that's something unnatural for me)
Thanks again for the awesome explanation, I already started my reasearches on it, thank you:)

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Paradigm covered a lot of good points. I suggest you figure out your stacking. Whenever I see someone go on about their "potential" (for yourself and other people), I automatically think type 3.

I have a soft spot for 3s. A lot of descriptions describe them negatively but I find if you get to know them, they're incredibly giving, self-sacrificing, motivational, and genuinely care about the welfare of others.
thanks a lot for the reply ASD! So, you're guessing I could be a 3 of some way? :)

Banned
Anyway, with all this cheerleading, sometimes I just feel the urge to disappear and recharge myself , working my own way thorugh my problems, since I feel the most capable on dealing with them and don't like to throw them in other people's face, just when I really feel down and in an impotent state, but that's maybe because I'm an introverted at heart
Everyone needs time alone. That doesn't make you an introvert if you use cognitive functions. The way people talk about extroversion as "getting energy from people" is extremely simplistic and doesn't really follow in MBTI.

Again, you still seem FJ to me. Probably an ESFJ, who use Fe-Ne. If you must type at NT, you're probably an ENTP as they value Fe higher. An INTP practically ignores it.

and don't like to appear very much a troublesome guys in face of the others (that's one thing I read that 2 have a tendency to do, to "voice" all of threir problems and counting on others to work things together, that's something unnatural for me)
Meh, not always. Males - in many cultures, not all - are conditioned to not voice their problems or emotions, but to instead handle both on their own. It's better to include these types of things, to begin to understand where you begin and where conditioning (or in many cases, mental health) begins.

It's like people trying to type at 6 because they have general anxiety, or at 4 because they're depressive, and so on.

Thanks again for the awesome explanation, I already started my reasearches on it, thank you:)
Glad to help :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
@Paradigm
Hmm I still don't think I value Fe so much, neither I'm so attuned to other emotional states... If you take a look at my vids, it would be pretty clear that I have a tendency to suppress emotions and talk/speak/say things in quite an INT way, I've been typed by almost everyone on the Socionics forums and groups as an INTP, and also by other people I know well, and kinda resonate with many things from that type rather than the ESFJ, while here on MBTI forums I was mostly typed ESFJ, it's quite peculiar :O still, maybe I just need to mature and grow more to reach a definitive conclusion :p

Aside from this, all my breakdown in the paragraph above have been some use for you to get a possible grasp on my Enneagram? Or have you got some interesting tips or sources to understand better what could I possibly be and what to grasp?
Thanks again, sorry for the loads of replies :)

Banned
Hmm I still don't think I value Fe so much, neither I'm so attuned to other emotional states.
Okay.

Aside from this, all my breakdown in the paragraph above have been some use for you to get a possible grasp on my Enneagram?
Another Thing! I always try to have a positive outlook on things, simply because others don't appreciate very much pessimism and neither do I :p Another thing that my best friend told me (sorry for the papyrus, I'm trying to come as clear as possible with you guys xD) is that, in cheering others up, I focus on a single detail and turn the perspective in a positive key, I don't know if all of this things are related, in some way, to a, enenagram preference!
I have a friend who I'm pretty sure is ENTP 3w2, and he's kinda like this, actually. He gets really enthusiastic about new things and talks about how super-awesome they're going to be, while I'm more reserved about how good it's going to be. We had to learn how to work around each other, me being less critical and him being less... jumpy. He's still really scattered, though more understanding now.

Trying to maintain a positive outlook is generally 2/7/9, but for them it's more rooted in their system, so to speak. It's part of their coping mechanisms, basically. Other types can do it for their own reasons, and that reason can vary in the same type, too.

So far I'd put you at 3w2 :) You definitely have SOC as an instinct but it's hard to tell where atm.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
@Paradigm
Perfect, thank you very much, you helped me a lot! I think so too, reading some 3w2 descriptions online seems fitting a lot! I'd definitely check out the link that you sent to me and focus to learn more about the 3 and how to improve!
About the stacks , yes, SOC seems that I value it a lot, and probably Sx as Secondary! For a while I thought a could be 7, so maybe I have a preference for Sx rather than SP, but my judging could be easily biased and wrong!
Thanks a lot for your insight and knowledge, it was pretty useful and clear, I trust your judgement!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts