Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a picture of my first oil painting:

I think it turned out really well. I'm extremely impressed with oil paints. They have excellent weight, beautiful depth of colour, and I really like working with them. Who else has ever painted in oils? Any tips?

·
Registered
321 Posts
The houses look fantastic! Beautiful lines.

I love oils. I'll try to give some advice... I'm still learning myself. It looks like you painted the sky after the clouds. I would have recommend painting the sky first, then the clouds. It's all about building layers. Fun shit.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Here's a picture of my first oil painting:

I think it turned out really well. I'm extremely impressed with oil paints. They have excellent weight, beautiful depth of colour, and I really like working with them. Who else has ever painted in oils? Any tips?

the sky looks really pretty!!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Amazing painting. Were you drawn to the medium? Have you worked in other medium before?

I've never used oils. In my art school daze acrylics were the standard, apparently they can be worked like oils but they dry faster.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amazing painting. Were you drawn to the medium? Have you worked in other medium before?

I've never used oils. In my art school daze acrylics were the standard, apparently they can be worked like oils but they dry faster.
I worked in acrylics for 5 years before trying oils. I'm not an art student, but I do a lot of reading about art, and I've taken some professional workshops, most notably with Mike Svob.

I'm realising that I know a lot about oils because I've read so much about them over the years. I would read books and magazines for acrylic techniques, but oil techniques were close enough to be worth reading about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts