Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just can't get over the feeling that there's something off about the personality tests I've taken. Two that I have taken have placed me as one type, a third test as another. The first two seemed fairly accurate, but the third didn't sound like me at all (and this third test even had more options).
I had read up on a few other types that the test hadn't placed me as, and saw some qualities that I identify with. I know people aren't cookie cutters, but how much stock should I put in to it?
Am I over thinking it?

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Um, well how about talking about yourself or a little, or going into the "type me" thread and answer some survey questions. Proficient MBTI users will be able to read it and converse with you to help you with your type. Most of them are quite good :) But you will have to ultimately decide on what you are.

Also, think of MBTI as solid colors. Red, Green, Blue, so on. MBTI only provides those specific colors, but all of us aren't strictly that color--we are a mix. We are cyan and we are maroon. So you might not fully agree with a type (nor do I think anyone should).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That makes more sense.

I don't really like these. I hope this is sufficient. Thanks to anyone that takes a look.

Also, I'd like to note that the first two tests I had taken ranked me as INTJ.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

That I seem to relate well with more than one type.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

Knowledge, mastery, expressing my creativity, making people laugh, and love. What else is there?

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

When I was teaching myself 3D modeling, and probably when I took a creative writing class. I was learning, and creating, and expressing myself. I still can, I just liked those moments.

Also, when I first fell in love, and she reciprocated.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

My need for my most beloved projects to be perfect. I don't think that I am a perfectionist except when it comes to certain projects of mine. It's so intense, that I feel like I can't even start. I can, it's just got to go through a very rigorous brain digestion. Otherwise, I don't think there's much perfectionist spillage anywhere else (just read some of my poems and you'll know what I mean).

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I've never had to make any big decisions yet, at least, none that I consider big. I would think about my family and friends, if it affected them, how I felt about it.... stuff like that.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

The idea is most important to me. If I have that, everything else falls in to place.

If it's a project that I created and love, I don't like anyone else messing with it. I will take advice and criticism, though. If it's mine, I must have control over it. If it's not, I don't care about how they want it to be. I'll give it my best, of course.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

Any time that my old best friend (that I happened to be in love with) would spend time together. We did all the things that I dislike. We went to a hockey game, dancing, ice skating, even church. It didn't matter. She was always fun to be around.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

It depends. If it can be done, I want to try it. If it can be thought of, I want to ponder upon it.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

What others see as clutter, I see everything as being right where I want it.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

If I want to understand it, I try to learn as much as possible, while crunching it through my head until it's understood.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

The latter.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I like to think before I speak, but I do sometimes say things without thinking. I do often think about something before I say it, but it doesn't always come out as clearly as it was in my head. I greatly prefer one-on-one communication.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I look before I leap. Action and words... depends.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

I'd watch my show. It's my favorite show, after all.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I can feel irritable, but I maintain control.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

I only really dislike people when they're mean, rude, and sometimes crude. Maybe sometimes noisy. It depends on the type of noise they're making.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

I don't generally like talking to people that I don't know. It depends on the person, and if I know they're interested in it, and I know the person, I'm more inclined to talk about the things that I enjoy. The areas of discussion are typically video games, humor, science fiction, science, or other random things of interest.

Rarely small talk.

If a friend wants to talk to me about anything, I will let them. I love to listen, and if I don't like what they're saying, I'll tell them.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life.

Politics and small talk.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

I think new friends see me as aloof and serious. I get lost in thought a lot, and don't like talking much, so they're spot on there. Close friends know how laid back I can be, while maintaining that previous aloofness and seriousness that I mentioned. They also know that I can be a funny guy if they let me. What'd they never say about me? I don't think they'd ever say that they'd find me at a party.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

The same thing I do every day, Pinkey. Video games, TV, stuff like that, or should I feel like it, some art thingy.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I just can't get over the feeling that there's something off about the personality tests I've taken. Two that I have taken have placed me as one type, a third test as another. The first two seemed fairly accurate, but the third didn't sound like me at all (and this third test even had more options).
I had read up on a few other types that the test hadn't placed me as, and saw some qualities that I identify with. I know people aren't cookie cutters, but how much stock should I put in to it?
Am I over thinking it?
Um, well how about talking about yourself or a little, or going into the "type me" thread and answer some survey questions. Proficient MBTI users will be able to read it and converse with you to help you with your type. Most of them are quite good :) But you will have to ultimately decide on what you are.

Also, think of MBTI as solid colors. Red, Green, Blue, so on. MBTI only provides those specific colors, but all of us aren't strictly that color--we are a mix. We are cyan and we are maroon. So you might not fully agree with a type (nor do I think anyone should).
Problem is that type profiles are first of all inaccurate, secondly they are filled with stereotypes, thirdly they are prone to the forer effect.
They are inaccurate as they try to engulf your entire personality with a system that is made to describe how you process information.
They are filled with stereotypes as the people who write them often don't understand the different functions and what they mean. Thus often relying on superficial understanding.

Thanks. That makes more sense.

I don't really like these. I hope this is sufficient. Thanks to anyone that takes a look.

Also, I'd like to note that the first two tests I had taken ranked me as INTJ.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

That I seem to relate well with more than one type.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

Knowledge, mastery, expressing my creativity, making people laugh, and love. What else is there?

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

When I was teaching myself 3D modeling, and probably when I took a creative writing class. I was learning, and creating, and expressing myself. I still can, I just liked those moments.

Also, when I first fell in love, and she reciprocated.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

My need for my most beloved projects to be perfect. I don't think that I am a perfectionist except when it comes to certain projects of mine. It's so intense, that I feel like I can't even start. I can, it's just got to go through a very rigorous brain digestion. Otherwise, I don't think there's much perfectionist spillage anywhere else (just read some of my poems and you'll know what I mean).

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I've never had to make any big decisions yet, at least, none that I consider big. I would think about my family and friends, if it affected them, how I felt about it.... stuff like that.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

The idea is most important to me. If I have that, everything else falls in to place.

If it's a project that I created and love, I don't like anyone else messing with it. I will take advice and criticism, though. If it's mine, I must have control over it. If it's not, I don't care about how they want it to be. I'll give it my best, of course.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

Any time that my old best friend (that I happened to be in love with) would spend time together. We did all the things that I dislike. We went to a hockey game, dancing, ice skating, even church. It didn't matter. She was always fun to be around.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

It depends. If it can be done, I want to try it. If it can be thought of, I want to ponder upon it.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

What others see as clutter, I see everything as being right where I want it.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

If I want to understand it, I try to learn as much as possible, while crunching it through my head until it's understood.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

The latter.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I like to think before I speak, but I do sometimes say things without thinking. I do often think about something before I say it, but it doesn't always come out as clearly as it was in my head. I greatly prefer one-on-one communication.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I look before I leap. Action and words... depends.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

I'd watch my show. It's my favorite show, after all.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I can feel irritable, but I maintain control.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

I only really dislike people when they're mean, rude, and sometimes crude. Maybe sometimes noisy. It depends on the type of noise they're making.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

I don't generally like talking to people that I don't know. It depends on the person, and if I know they're interested in it, and I know the person, I'm more inclined to talk about the things that I enjoy. The areas of discussion are typically video games, humor, science fiction, science, or other random things of interest.

Rarely small talk.

If a friend wants to talk to me about anything, I will let them. I love to listen, and if I don't like what they're saying, I'll tell them.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life.

Politics and small talk.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

I think new friends see me as aloof and serious. I get lost in thought a lot, and don't like talking much, so they're spot on there. Close friends know how laid back I can be, while maintaining that previous aloofness and seriousness that I mentioned. They also know that I can be a funny guy if they let me. What'd they never say about me? I don't think they'd ever say that they'd find me at a party.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

The same thing I do every day, Pinkey. Video games, TV, stuff like that, or should I feel like it, some art thingy.
It's always interesting to look at the questionnaire of someone who is fairly new and isn't in the "MBTI mindset" when they write their answers. Makes them seem more genuine and human (the negative aspect of it is a harder time to type them).

Anyways, there's nothing that stands out a lot in your answers, but I have a strong feeling for INFP atm.
Your answer to question 6 for example seems to be based around the internal values of Fi for example.

There's not much to go on actually, but I blame that on the questionnaire as it doesn't have any questions surrounding your perceiving functions. My hunch atm. says INFP at least.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts