Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My two best friends are an INFP and an ENTJ. I get along with both of them great; the INFP because she is creative and fun, and the ENTJ because she's logical and driven. The problem is that these two seem to get into a fight every time I'm not there to mediate.
Today at lunch for instance they were talking about the new band shirts (the INFP is in Marching band), which say REVOLUTION with a fist holding a music note and some red bursts of sunshine... they started talking about whether or not it looked communist. Typical...
According to my INFP friend, Ms. ENTJ became insistent that red was a communist color and that it should have been changed to a blue or an orange. Apparently, she was overly oppinionated, stoic, and unrelenting on the subject to a point where my INFP couldn't take it any more and tried to whesel her way out of the conversation by going to say hi to a couple friends across the quad. Which seriously offended my ENTJ friend who has a history of making something out of nothing.
According to my ENTJ friend, she was just having a normal conversation about whether or not the band shirt was communist when Ms. INFP insulted her and ran off to go be with another group of friends! Later she said the reason she was so insistant was because INFP wouldn't even consider her side of the argument.
What I want to know is if this is a common theme in ENTJ/INFP relationships. And is there a way I can help?
I posted this in INTJ because I want your honest and logical opinions and comments (that I usually agree with:laughing:)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes, this is common.
According to Socionics, which utilizes this kind of personality typing, the type of relationship is refered to as supervision, which is defined:
"Relations of supervision are asymmetrical; one type supervises another. Relations of supervision are characterized by the supervisor's attempt to introduce his base function into the supervisee's life. The supervisor often perceives the supervisee as an interesting person and understands the supervisee's lifestyle, since the supervisor's creative function is the supervisee's base function. Nonetheless, the supervisee is often on the defensive since the supervisor's base function is the supervisee's point of least resistance (the function most vulnerable to criticism). The supervisee often perceives the supervisor to be the evil incarnate, while the bewildered supervisor wonders why the supervisee reacts so poorly to his objective and benevolent assistance."

What can you do? Get the ENTJ to be less forceful and less specific in their suggestions for change, allowing the INFP the freedom to make up their own mind and own any descission. INFPs will generally see ENTJs as quite forceful, and will look to them when leadership is required. But when there is no need for leadership, or if that leadership is percieved as pushy, the INFP will withdraw. If you tell the ENTJ that the INFP looks up to them but needs to be treated with respect, the ENTJ should be able to modify their behaviour to cause less conflict.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts