Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Awhile back I mentioned that I'm a beach bum at heart so I generally find my way to a beach whenever I can. Here's some pix of the portable solar panel in operation while hangin at my best place:
IMG_0476.jpg IMG_0471.jpg
Left if you look close you can see the solar panel set up on the rocks. Your viewing it on its thin edge side so hard to see. The one on the right is obvious. Those are my 2 Off Grid vehicles. The Pickup & The Burb. I have the pickup set up now so I can party on top too while hangin at The Beach so I'm not confined with just sittin in back , haha, enjoying water, wind & Sun sent fotons! The Burb I leave back in West Michigan for the winter - put it in storage.

There is some major league perks from hangin at a beach on top of your Off Grid vehicle with tunes blasting while powering it all with a solar panel too! I meet a lot of NT beach babes who gota know about that solar panel and the entire set up system.
IMG_0357.JPG IMG_0487.jpg IMG_0412.jpg
I might b off grid but Life's still a Beach!............INTJonny Luzsha

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This post is little bit on OFF GRID Lifestyle. This weekend I decide to head to the beaches at San Diego . In particular Ocean Beach, Mission Beach & Pacific Beach. Yes I'm in the pikup truck. I spent today mostly a OB and now I'm parked at my STEALTH spot for the night.
I mentioned STEALTH about page 1 or 2 - way back in the beginnig of this thread and this is a good time to elaborate on a live event. San Diego is 1 of the No 1 Van Dweller STEALTH city metro hangs prolly in all of the USA cause well the weather is so conducive to living a vehicle oriented minimalist OFF GRID Lifestyle A few tips.

First it is Against The Law to camp / sleep in your vehicle in San Diego City limits but the cops generally don't push it lest u b a real asshole - and truth is there benuff of STEALTHers that r. NowI'm at my usual STEALTH spot now and I've NEVER been rousted by popo here; in fact I've NEVER seen any other STEALTHers here that IS how good of a spot I've got! Anyway here's the general rundown Kay?

(I gota kinda rite this in text speek cause I'm almost doing it by kandl lite and I'm just trying to hit keys that exhibit sumthin telligbl).
There is entire sub culture here in SD that lives like STEALTH. Some of these peeps don't have much money so they b livin owta they vehicles kawz they hit hard times, others are Idealistic hippy types out to xperience lyfe; others just live this away period - deal with it......... Now most hang at the beaches cause SD has plenty of big parking lots on ocean beaches or Mission bay blah blah where its scenic beautiful etc and you can park there all but from 2am to like sum 4 others 5 am. So around 9 to 12 midnight or so every1 takes off to their STEALTH spot for the night to sleep where hopefully the cops won't rowst you. Then around 5 or 6 am we all start trickling back to the beach where we spend the day till it hits 9 to 12m idnight or so and e'ery1 returns to their STEALTH spot.

Now its just good strategy to have several spots so you don't keep going back to the same place every nite. Gota rotate it. I personally run my show thata way. I got 2 spots in Ocean Beach and 2 spots in Pacific Beach that I use and I've never been rousted by popo at any a them. now its important to realize that the ONLY THING YOU do at your STEALTH spot is sleep. you want to have all your life's shit takin care of what e'er it is and when you pull up to ur STEALTH parking spot you shut that engine down and you immediately go to bed to sleep for the eve. You will then minimize any possibility of being spotted by , generally some fucking SJ Guardian who might blow the whistle on ya ass. WHEN STEALTH - make no mistake SJ's b the fukin ENEMY! Then when I awake which tonight will prolly b arownd 4 or 5 am I'll qwik get my conscious shit together qwik jump in the drivers seat & make my way to the nearest park on mission Bay which happens to be about a mile or so away and it opens at 4 am so I'm good to park there.

I'll qwik make a cup a koffee, maybe douse a teaspoon of a 5Hour for wake up purposes and then I'll head to whatever ocean beach spot I want to spend the day at. once ther I'll make coffe, breakfast, brush the toofees, all that walk em up stuff. Then I'll take a walk on the shore, out on the pier etc. Then I'll get set up for the day - chair on top, tunes speakers , connect the solar panel - Cawze this OFF GRID livin bay bee!!etc, sit on top, njoy Life the view sites TUNES!. Start off with Jimi H. Luv Red House O'er Yonder! Thaz my Beach Bum livin life! Around 2 pm I pour me a gin n tonic, etc. Sashay around the beahcwatch the surfer dudes surfing and watch the surfer babes - kawz well they Babes! Thaz a day at the beahc sumware around tween 9 & midnight I've decided which spot I'll bunk up at 4 the eve head o'er there go to sleep & the cycle peats itself when I awake. Sorry bowt typos tex speak...........deel wit it!

Beach Bum Jonny b tawkin @ ya.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok INTJ's - here's typical STEALTH AM wake m up time while at SD Beachville. Woke up around 5:30AM & after a qwik peak eyeball reconnoiter out the windows by pulling a corner of the reflectix insulation back just enuff 2 see - I jump into the drivers seat & away I go to The Beach!.
IMG_0491.jpg This pik is typical breakfast while OffGrid truckin it - cept I forgot to bring some bowls so made my cereal mixt with kawfee staple mixed in one a my plastic cups. Bowt it. Views are good:
IMG_0492.jpg IMG_0493.jpg
Typical sunrise and now I'm going to enjoy a bah eeee U taful beach day n Dee Ah Go!
INTJonny Luzsha 4 evah bay bee!

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
I do have some questions, but I have to formulate them.

Maybe it doesn't mean anything to you, but I want to apologize if I seemed hostile or dismissive in replying earlier.

This is the most information-packed thread I've read just about anywhere, and I think ... well, maybe not anyone, but at least I'm grateful.

So, MI, I don't anything about, indeed, that whole route along the I90 and the train up through Whitefish-->Minot-->Blue Earth, those are just routes to me.

But what's the scene like around just north of Missoula? I lived there a few different times, and a single gal had a big old Harvester bus, got in trouble (law isn't good in Missoula, college town, very insular, IMHO) parking out in back of our house.

Obviously, cold as shit, gelid, in the winter.

Well, I'm just wanted to say I'm going to keep reading and just wanted to say thumbs up, not that it means a damn, but this is really good stuff.

Not sarcastic.

Ad your latest, that was pretty quick thinking when you got the roust from some citizen do-gooders. Damn right! Clean and serene. I like it!

·
Registered
344 Posts
From an ISTP with similar ideas about escaping from civilization…
Too complicated, dude. Way way too complicated.
Just dig a hole into a hill, build a stove, put a roof over it, maybe a couple bookshelves. Find the nearest creek. Scout out where the best hunting/fishing/gathering spots are.
You'll be comfy.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Just dig a hole into a hill, build a stove, put a roof over it, maybe a couple bookshelves. Find the nearest creek. Scout out where the best hunting/fishing/gathering spots are.
You'll be comfy.
Yeaa Ill have to agree to a certain extent, this is just modern living on the move tbh. I wouldnt go full primitive like you propose, the weather around here wouldnt allow for that, a warm house of some sort is pretty much a necessity.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeaa Ill have to agree to a certain extent, this is just modern living on the move tbh. I wouldnt go full primitive like you propose, the weather around here wouldnt allow for that, a warm house of some sort is pretty much a necessity.
When I say hole, I mean slightly more hobbit-ey than you I guess. :p

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You'll be comfy.
I live as simple & minimalist yet healthy lifestyle of anyone I know. as far as hunting, fishing wilderness spots its where I've lived & worked ALL my life and I'm not like 20 or even 30 dude I'm 63 fucking years old. You need to go back a few posts and check the pik of my Michigan wilderness spot as well as its description. You think its complicated prolly just because like many SP'syou grow weary of an informative read........ Don't matter there's a reason I titled this thread My Guide...... & not A Guide or gawd fuking forbid The Guide. And its explicitly for INTJ's anyway. there's a reason I didn't post this on one of the general forums.
Haha.........INTJonny Luzsha

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Welcome to my home town! That's Mission Bay park, right?
Good eye spot on your part! A lot of people that live in SD would not have known this exact location just because so many of the beach parking lots look identical! Yeah Mission Beach, Ocean Beach & Pacific Beach are my hangs in SD - I never go downtown, don't do Gaslamp, no Coronado none of it. I won't lie tho - once in a great great while, only on rare occasion I'll glam it up and go to La Jolla - not because I really want to but because I FUKING CAN!!
IMG_0497.jpg
Yesterday at Mission Beach. I'm in SD today and prolly 2maro as well. Then I'll return to my desert base camp for a few days or a week and then on to Bombay Beach on the Salton Sea - do some kayaking. Then its either Joshua Tree or into Zona to Quartzsite.
Stay tuned..........INTJonny Luzsha

Attachments

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
everything can be taken to extreme - including OIff Grid living. Here's an example of some1 who is an insane 'holier than thou' Off Grid Extremist: View attachment 762170

·
Registered
344 Posts
I live as simple & minimalist yet healthy lifestyle of anyone I know. as far as hunting, fishing wilderness spots its where I've lived & worked ALL my life and I'm not like 20 or even 30 dude I'm 63 fucking years old. You need to go back a few posts and check the pik of my Michigan wilderness spot as well as its description. You think its complicated prolly just because like many SP'syou grow weary of an informative read........ Don't matter there's a reason I titled this thread My Guide...... & not A Guide or gawd fuking forbid The Guide. And its explicitly for INTJ's anyway. there's a reason I didn't post this on one of the general forums.
Haha.........INTJonny Luzsha
C'mon no need to get butthurt just cuz somebody suggested something easier :p

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Another thing I forgot to mention that I must include at least some info on are Solar Ovens. I've made several of these - the box type. They're really easy to make actually and the first one I ever made some guy gave me 65$ for it. Haha. I thought he was joking at first and when I realised he was serious I tried to explain to him just how easy they are to make but he was determined to buy it so I sold it to him and made another one. Haha Here again I'm talking about the 'Box Type.

The ones made out of a parabolic mirror you gota watch closely tho as if you remember that in a parabola all of that sunshine gets focused to a single point and if your pan is at that position well some parabolic solar cookers cans melt steel so you gota understand the physics involved.

Anyway here's a link to discover the info on solar cookers: Solar Cookers: Types and Styles.

There's several different ways to make them if your interested. Making one using a Fresnel lens will work really nice If you can find one and there are places that sell them: https://www.greenpowerscience.com/
this place is a great place to start. Remember parabolic & fresnel lenses when focusing sunlight to a point can melt steel so if you want to go this route make sure you read up on them.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So now that you've decided to go Off Grid, you've gotta figure out a strategy & impliment tactics that will make it a reality. First you'll need SUN to 'go solar so you'll want to find out where the Sunniest and cloudiest places are; then if you're also interested in supporting your Off Grid electrical supply with Wind power you'll need to investigate where the windy areas.

A good place to start your research geographically for these places is here:
https://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/largest-cities-list.php

This site will help guide you to the information on geographic locations that pertain to climatic & weather conditions that will help you make the best choices for your particular Off Grid Lifestyle. Obviously for Solar panel power you'll want to know the sunniest places like Phoenix or Yuma Az, The Desert SW, etc....... Being INTJ, tho you'll prolly not wana hang in any large metro areas for too long so the large city info gives you a general area to start your search for 'A Spot'.

Also, just because places are sunny doesn't mean they're Warm! Especially in winter. Even the higher elevations in the US desert SW can be cold with snow! so something to consider. Along with this, if you're interested in Wind power you'll need to find windy areas by this 15 mph winds - yes it takes a pretty windy day to generate any substantial amount of electricity to put back into your battery bank. 15 mph may not seem like 'fast' but try hanging out in a sustained 15 mph wind for any amount of time - and this isn't considerring gusts.

Where are places that all of these number lines intersect for you to decide where to go? Well its a tough find and compromises will have to be implemented ; trade offs decided upon. i.e - you may love mountains & skiing & cold doesn't bother you. These areas are more prone to having higher wind velocities and because it snows - more clouds which means less Sun. So a really good Wind generator may be more worthwhile than a huge elaborate solar panel setup.

The above link will get you started where you can investigate, study, think about the data for a given time of year & place to make the necessary decisions that pertain to how you want to live your Off Grid Lifestyle.

Mine is fairly simple: I don't care for snow & cold anymore and living in mountainous regions is not an interest - I like looking at mountains but I like a BEACH! More. Haha I also need SUN! For health reasons. 'Sunshine Deficit Disorder' as I call it. Days on end of cloudy overcast weather puts me into the ground! And I've always been a Beach Bum at heart so Sun, Warm & a Water/Blue Sky defined horizon is a great combination! These places also attract millions of people! too, tho, which isn't conducive to my major league Introverted genetic makeup. I also still have a few clients as I very much enjoy my profession just not on a fulltime basis anymore; so I've had to devise a plan that optimizes all of these parameters to enhance my Off Grid Healthy Lifestyle.

I came up with my Double Base Camp System. Time for a break and then I'll elaborate.
Thanx................INTJonny Trailer Trash.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
How my "Double Base Camp" Plan evolved:

SOooooo given the previous paragraph sorta outlining the major parameters of my Off Grid wurl; geographically it starts in West Michigan and my beach spot there is Pere Marquette Beach. From there my beach loop goes to Wrightsville Beach near Wilmington Norht Carolina; then to Panama City Beach - Florida Panhandle; Magnolia Beach - Texas Gulf and onto the Desert SW and previous mentioned beach(s) in San Diego and back to Pere Marquette Beach on Lake Michigan. Thaz what I call my 'Beach Loop'. I don't always 'hit' the Atlantic & Gulf spots annually like I did years past but generally at least every 2 to 3 years now.

West Michigan is my main hang & only the cold weather and lack of sunshine has driven me away in winter. North Carolina Summers are too warm & humid; winters, while not cold are not warm enough! And sunshine availability doesn't compare to SW USA. Florida Panhandle & Texas Gulf coasts are similar in that there is very decent temperatures but the amount of sunshine available is lacking as the humid sub-tropical climate lends itself to too much rain & clouds. So for me; when not in Michigan the best place for me to set up Base Camp #2 was easy to choose - The Desert SW.

Living off grid at Base Camp No 1 in West Michigan is really designed around 2 things: Pere Marquette Beach & my profession. The weather there during April thru May is generally fairly cloudy & cool and often I need to run my generator for some decent charge on my battery bank - sometimes I even find it necessary to change the batteries out with my truck battery just to get a decent charge; boost & equalization for them. During spring I generally do a fair amount of professional related work as the Beach is still quite cold and none of the beach hangs have opened yet (they're seasonal). Once Memorial Weekend arrives tho I have psychologically gone into Beach Mode and my professional workload drops and I go full 'Beach Bum' as June thru August there is a lot of sunshine, till around mid September or so when I pik it up professionally again till sometime in November as when it gets Cold - HEeee GOWN!!! And I head to Base Camp No 2 in the Desert SW USA!

At BC no1 in West Michigan is a very sunshine less area in spring & fall. Where I'm at has less available sunshine than in Seattle Wa which is the cloudiest large metro area in all of USA - so its very cloudy, overcast, etc also because I'm back in typical large Northern deciduous/coniferous forest land I'm sheltered by the forests from much available wind - why I ruled out a wind generator and in the Desert SW there is SOOOOoooooo much sunshine, supplementing a battery bank charge with wind isn't needed. So having a backup gasoline powered generator became a necessary evil for me. I prolly could've put the $$$ into a much larger battery bank solar charge set up and made it work most of the time but spring & fall can get cold where I'm at and like investing in the stock market, diversification is always a good long term strategy.

So I have several different ways to charge my battery bank, I have several different ways to heat my trailer or truck, I have several ways to obtain water and I have several different BEACHES!!! To enjoy the rest of my healthy life at/on!!
Off Grid works! But.......
IMG_0274.jpg

Life's not Topsy Turvey. Haha! Life's A BEACH!!!!...........................Beach Bum INTJonny lookin at ya!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I gota talk about inverters now. Have only really mentioned them but there are a few things I think outa be pointed out about them and kinda important.
Inverters convert 12 volt battery power to 120 volt use. Thats about it. If you have something that needs 120 volt to wake up the needed watts an electrical device requires you'll need some kind of inverter. Now back on some of those links I asked that you study/browse about battery power blah blah it explains inverters - so I assume by now you've read that stuff over and at least have a mental concept of and when an inverter is needed.

2 types of inverters - modified sine wave & pure sine wave. U need to understand this difference! Now most electrical devices really don't require a pure sine wave inverter and the $$$ difference between equal wattage pure sine wave & modified sine wave is substantial. For me, I have one of each as noted way back when on the beginning of this thread somewhere.
My Mod Sinewave inverter is 1500 watt & this is more than enuff for me to run off my battery bank what few minor 120 volt appliances I care to use that inverter for. Keep in mind I have a huge 4000 watt generator that will pretty much run anything one wants to BUT...... I don't care to run the generator for as long as what sometimes I might need that 120 volt power for.

My Pure sine wave inverter is only 300 watts and I really only use it to charge my MacBook Pro. Anything with sensitive electronics is going to need to be charged with a pure sine wave current - be it frum an inverter or the generator. A modified sine wave inverter can damage the charger on sensitive electronic devices like my MacBook and if that charger becomes damaged that can lead to further damage to the internal battery itself on my MacBook. To replace the charger is about 50$ but to replace the internal battery on my MacBook is at least 1500$ prolly more like 2000$ sooooo a 150$ small wattage pure sine wave inverter is both functional and an insurance policy! Also don't need to run my generator for at least 5 hrs just to provide such a minimal power demand.

You may decide to splurge for a really big battery bank and thus a really big pure sine wave inverter; i.e like a 3000 watt PSW inverter in lieu of a 4000 generator like mine to power all ur 120 volt goodies; thaz ur decision but remember you'll need to get some kind of PSW inverter to charge/run any sensitive electronics or you amy damage them.

Thanx...........INTJonny Boi tellin it like it iz!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yesterday was one of my favorite Off Grid living days & times - Laundry Day! YEAH!!! (Sarcasm)
But with my new Off Grid Washing Machine I bought myself for Christmas :
IMG_0503.jpg
I'll have nice clean clothes in no time! and coupled with my never fail Off Grid Solar Clothes Dryer!
IMG_0502.jpg
Hey what more does 1 need when its time to launder the linens..........INTJonny Desert Air Fresh

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Conservation of Energy Part 1
INTJonny Trailer Trash otherwise known as The Off Grid Kid is back to write about Conservation of Energy; no,no not the 'Law" of Physics tho directly related, you'll have to read up on that if you want a more theoretical explanation.

Nope! This is about making the most of your battery's sun stored photons turned potential electrical power. Most of this stuff should be just plain common sense and is no different than On-Grid living; like turning the fucking lights off when not in use; but there are also a lot of little techniques and 'ways of doing' stuff that will help to maintain a decent level of battery stored power as well as to help maximize the overall life of your battery(s).

One of the easiest & obvious things you'll want is to make sure all of your lighting is of the LED variety vs incandescent bulbs. LED's for = lumination (lumens) will use less than 10% the electricity of what an incandescent bulb requires. For me it was 0.15 amps LED vs 2.2 amps incandescent - that's HUGE! Difference of battery drain and since you're generally using your lights when its dark; and ahh, since its dark cause there's like no Sun, and ahhh & dahhh since there's no Sun there'll be no photons to breed with your solar panel......... you got the point.

Another thing I'll quick mention is about the fridge in your RV - RV fridges are generally 2 way or 3 way meaning theres 2 or 3 ways they can be powered to keep your food cold. One way is by burning propane to make your fridge cold (yeah I know this seems contradictory but well Science & physics is a wonderful thing so you google it) but it requires 12 volt power to ignite the propane; another is to use direct 120 volt power, like if you are using a generator, or some can also use direct 12 volt power. Blah, Blah, blah.
That fridge has a 12 volt powered heating strip built into and around the door seal to reduce condensation caused from the ambient air's humidity and its 'on' all the time, using amps from your battery. So if you're in an area for an extended time like I am in the Desert SW where the relative humidity is Very Low; you just don't need this strip running 24/7 so I've pulled the panel on the back of the fridge; read the schematic drawing there as well as in the manual; found the plug connection and disconnected it. In the Desert its not needed. When I return to Michigan where its very humid I replug it.

These are a couple examples of little techniques that added together will help to decrease battery drain on your power system. Another really big one is when its cold at night & you need to run the furnace. Most of the electricity used is to power the blower to distribute the heated air - those blowers use ALOT of 12 volt electricity and here again its night time and its running off & on all night while you sleep; soooo when you wake in the morn those batteries are going to be very low; and if its also a cloudy day well you have no way to recharge the battery bank!

There are a lot of ways & lil things you can do that can help to maintain battery power conservation as well as Battery Life! To give you a much enjoyable Off GRid Lifestyle. I'll write more on some of them and you'll prolly discover some of your own.
Enjoy! INTJonny Trailer Trash aka The Off GRid Kid b tawkin @ ya.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Conservation of Energy Part 2
IMG_0380.JPG
Now we have to address Conservation of Energy as it pertains to WATER. When you're Off Grid water resources must be conserved otherwise you'll find your self running here & driving there to constantly top off your water tanks/barrels/jugs what ever you use to store your water in. There are a myriad # of ways & techniques to stretch an H2O molecule if one is so inclined; to multi-task that molecule.
Obviously the more storage capacity you have the less you need to be concerned about having to resupply but also one has a tendency to waste more if they have easy access. As written previously I top off all my water capacity when I first set up the base camp but once settled in I use my 55 gallon water drum to resupply the 106 gallon fresh water tank on The Box. Generally I'll refill when its around the 20 to 40 gallon mark depending.......... no set rule really; sorta like refilling the gas tank on your car, really. My use of the 106 gallon RV water tank I use almost exclusively for taking a shower and when I turn on the hot water, it takes about a quart or so of water to come out of the shower head before it gets warm - this cold water is not allowed to simply go down the drain. No no! I will let it pour into the plugged sink or sometimes let it pour into the coffee pot which is then later used to make coffee or used for plain drinking water. If I let it go into the sink I'll use it to brush my teeth and then to shave with. Another use for the dirty shower or laundry water is to use some of it to put out the campfire.

Also I sometimes will use the used shower water and/or the laundry water to work double duty as the flush the toilet water. Water conservation is a technique you'll get good at and its really surprising how little water you can use for every day living OFF GRID IF repeat IF you really want to conserve it. Another place to conserve water is doing dishes - here you'll want to employ things like paper plates and utilize cooking techniques where you're cooking stuff together rather than using numerous pots & pans for a meal.
The used paper plates double as the campfire starter too! And since this is INTJ Off Grid living there's prolly only 1 of U just like there's only 1 of Me and saving on water use etc becomes simple. My dishwashing generally uses about 1 to 2 quarts of water at most and that is when I do dishes as i don't generally to do them every day. I'll often spray with vinegar & wipe with a paper towel (which again joins the paper plate in the fire pit) then let them stockpile for a few days before a real thorough cleaning with boiling water & soap. The dishwater I heat on the propane stove.

So there a lil bit on the water aspect. Now the place where 12 volt battery drain and water use intersect is at the 12 volt water pump! And because this uses electricity from the battery bank I generally take the shower in the morning so the sun can recharge the battery quickly. Also if you have a Hot Water on Demand system like I do, you'll want a water pump that can produce at least 45 psi because that is the minumum required to operate such a system. Another thing you'll want to keep on hand is a spare water pump. You never know when one might qwit on you and you'll want to replace it immediately and you'll most likely - remember Off Grid!- be in the middle of no where when it stops working. Jez sayin.

There are all kinds of ways to make your own water system and you are the one that controls its use. I ran into one guy who had a very elaborate set-up outfitted with 5 55 gallon drums all interconnected with 2 12 volt water pumps integrated to his RV water system. He was married too tho and the 2 of them would use much more water than i would just by myself.

There's a little FYI food for thought to get you started on your own OFF GRID water usage........INTJonny Luzsha!

21 - 40 of 110 Posts