Personality Cafe banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
IMG_0599.jpg
This shell is called a Tun and I found it while in the Keys. Its one of my favorites.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
IMG_0600.jpg
This was a very good day shelling at Bahia Honda Key.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
IMG_0601.jpg
Found these 2 cowries and the big Lightening welk at Avalon Beach, Atlantic Ocean. I'm very partial to Lightenning Welks as they are the ONLY shell that is Left Handed and since well I'm left handed, us Lefties gotta stick together!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
IMG_0603.jpg
Met this huge 12' gator while driving down Loop Trail in Big Cypress Preserve. It was on the side of the trail sunnin' itself and I did not get out of the truck too take the picture.:shocked:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
IMG_0610.jpg
Ran into an old friend at Delnor-Wiggins Beach near Naples Florida........

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
IMG_0613.jpg
And this guy eating some veggies for brunch.

Reactions: NoFear3

·
Registered
INTJ
128 Posts
This is really a neat guide -- very detailed and informative. Thank you! It's all a person needs to live off the grid. My own experiences are limited to short camping trips.

I like nature and solitude, too. I spend a lot of time alone. But I get bored after I'm done with activities. I have to read, write, play music, talk to people, watch movies. I would miss my other hobbies, which require more equipment than I could haul around in a truck and trailer.

Just wondered, what do you do when you're done looking around? I don't drink or smoke, so getting into an altered state of mind is not part of my day. (Also, please, no jokes about sex. This is a real question.) Are you busy enough with chores that you are ready to go to sleep by the time you're finished?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
jus a side note: I haven't made out to Az / SoCal yet this fal/winter and don't know if i will as I've hung out there so much over the last 10 - 12 ish years or so that I've just needed a change of scenery. The Atlantic & Gulf coasts won and I've spent most of the time so far hangin at Florida. A comment tho on the SW area for off grid vehicle livin':

<<<<<--------------------take it frum a koon!

The qwiker Az passes a rec weed law the better. Geeesh! Its a major league pain in the ass having to park the truck out in the desert straddling the Cali / Zona border and having to keep the weed on one side of the truck and the guns on the other. jus sayin.
Jonny Koon Luzsha bay bee. alway hav alway will.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
So, a week ago I left Florida to spend some time at my dawterz in North Carolina and dump all of these shells I found off on her - she's a major league shell nut so she gets them and I get to free up what lil free space I have in my 'truck house'. I left her place Friday and have returned to SW Florida for the foreseeable future and thaz where I b right now.

<<<<<-----------------take it frum a koon!

I'm kinda stuck inside the truck today as it is a major league rain & wind day in this part of Murahka and so I'll prolly be posting all kinds of shit toady as I'm getting bored stiff not moving around outside exploring sumthin. Oh well even tho I don't have nice sunny weather I have gin and the internet and Perc Mall. WTF, over?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I think I'll elaborate a lil bit about life in a vehicle and taking showers.......... I use a solar shower which I've described somewhere in this thread unless I'm able to make use of a real hot shower from a real shower - like when I was at my dawters place last week: my own room with my own bathroom and the ability to take a loooong hot shower. Yep.

<<<<<<------------------take it frum a koon!

Some Vehicular livin peeps get a membership at a nationwide fitness chain - like Planet Fitness; seems to be the most used. Open 24/7 with literally thousands of locations across the USofA. You show up whenever you want , show em ur membership card and go get poofed & douched........ nice hot shower and the membership is like 22$ a month ; simple, easy, convenient & inexpensive. Why not? Well I have yet to sign up for this; not that I won't one day and truth is I prolly will but i haven't yet. Why not?

Cause Planet Fitness wont let you pay the entire yearly fee, either by credit card, cash or check and they won't let you pay the monthly fee that way either. Instead they take the monthly charge frum your checking account which means you must give them the routing number to your checking account so they can get their payment directly from your account.

Now I'm not too keen on the idea of giving my checking account routing number to anyone so I haven't signed up with Planet Fitness. I would prefer to pay the entire yearly amount - good for 12 months- by either credit card or cash but they won't do it that way and i am absolutely NOT! Going to give anyone my checking account routing number giving them access to remove their monthly charge directly from my account. NAH GUNNA HAPPEN.

What I am thinking about doing tho is opening up a 2nd checking account at my bank dedicated for planet fitness; give them that routing number; put the yearly amount plus a lil - you know like 300 bux or so into the account and planet fitness will only get access to that account rather than my entire checking account life. Follow me? I haven't done this yet but its a viable solution that I'll prolly implement 1day when I get around to feeling like a doin it.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
The best shelling in Fla is in Sanibel Island... Some of the best in the world in fact. I'll post some of my collection when I get around to it

<<<<<--------------take it frum a koon!

Kool!
Yeah, thats basically where I've been after I left the Keys. I haven't been directly on sanibel this round but I'm hangin at Delnor-Wiggins , Marco Island & Lovers Key Beachs which all basically surround sanibell...........
Fact is I'm sitting in Lovers Key Beach for the day right now as I rite this & sanibel is just across the water.........

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
The best shelling in Fla is in Sanibel Island...
Yes & no. Depends what your looking for...........

<<<<<----------------take it frum a koon!

Some shells are only on the Atlantic coast, some only on the Gulf, some only in the Keys, others 2 of the 3 or all 3.......
for example: knobbed welks, like Keiners Welk are only found in Florida North of Cape Canaveral on the Atlantic Coast, Lightning Welks are almost everywhere.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Been shellin' here & there but mostly at Lovers Key Beach for the last couple weex and I've got to post some pix:
IMG_0621.jpg
I posted this pik of 2 gorgeous Lace Murex' I found on Xmas day in another thread but want them here, too.
IMG_0627.JPG
I found this awesome horse conch a cupl days after xmas day. Aren't they just the most beautiful brilliant orange?
IMG_0628.JPG
I found it in about 18" of water at very low tide and its about 12" long.
IMG_0629.jpg
I tossed it out into deeper water because it was xmas weekend and there were ALOT of boats beaching at low tide in this area and I didn't want it to accidently get struck by a metal sponson pontoon boat.

Reactions: Squirt and R.O.B.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Here's a pik of the horse conch when I first found it while its under water. IMG_0632.JPG

Reactions: Squirt

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
IMG_0631.jpg
More shells.........
IMG_0630.jpg
Yep. I've turned into a 'shell whore'. I can't say NO! And I can't stop workin' The Beach & picking them up. I'm a shell whore. And those shells all have shell whore names too! Like Bubbles, Tulip, Slippers, Olive, Nutmeg, Pear, Fig & Cockles. Yep, I've turned into a shell whore cause I can't say no and I can't stop picking them up.........

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
When you're living out of a truck, sometimes shit is going to happen............

<<<<<<-----------------take it frum a koon!

SOooo a few days back the truck - MY HOUSE! - blew the water pump out. Leaking coolant / my added water on a regular basis. checked into the nearest Ford dealer at 3 pm Tuesday for a diagnosis & Emergency Surgery. Everyone there was GREAT!Explained my situation, that I live out of my truck on the road, off the grid, beach bum, etc........ Everyone was great! Service manager says - can you leave it here now & we'll try to get to it and get started with the diagnostic analysis. Might take a couple days as we're super booked.
I'm like - well let me chek into , theres a motel about 2 miles down the highway, let me get chekt into that place for a couple nights and I can unload the shit I need, blah, blah, blah. So they fill me up with water so I can drive to that motel, i get chekt into it for 2 nights and unload my stuff - waht I'z guna need and or not want to leave in my house without me being there. Then I drive back and give them my house er truck.
They're like we have a shuttle service & can give you a ride back to the motel and I'm like NO WAY! I'll walk back, I need the excersize - I love walking, runnin' excersizing my ole man bod! So i did. Next day, I'm walking to this wilderness park thaz bout a haf mile from the motel and I get the a call - its the Ford dealer giving me the scoop blah blah and I'm like yeah Mann DO IT! then I'm exploring here & there hoofin around, I end up in a Barnes & Noble book store - GEEE imagines that , thatz bout a mile from the Ford Dealer.......

Anyway about 2:30 jonny boi gets a call from the Ford Service Manager and he's like Jonny Boi, ur trux all set & good to go! Gives me the $$ balance & I'm like I'm at the Barnes & Noble be there in a few minutes. He's like we can pick you up with a shuttle - NO WAY dude! I'll hoof it I love movin my body! Be there in a few!

..........and that was that! Great service by my ford peeps and jonny boi got his house back and back to the beach where he's back to beach bummin his beach bummin life!
Jonny Koon Luzsha baybee - alway have; alway will!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
SOooooo we got The Pesky Pelican; The Red Pirate and The Blue Parrot.........

<<<<<<<<----------------------take it frum a koon!

Where the fuk am I?
​no its not the Deliverence Tabernacle Church of Christ.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Been hangin at St. George's Island State Park the last few days and its been a lil bit cool, temperature wise. Now the northeasterly 4.5 miles part of this park is closed to any vehicle traffic but foot traffic on the beach is ok and I'm trhinkin' Man, if I hike just a Mille or so up the beach where no1 much goes I can prolly find some kik ass shells. So a cupl mornings back thaz what I do.

<<<<<<----------------------take it frum a koon!

I didn't realy find anything much till I got to the very end - 4.5 miles of walkin and then I hit the jackpot.
IMG_0634.jpg IMG_0635.jpg IMG_0636.jpg
Look at those huge welks and thats the largest shark eye I've ever found! 3.5" in diameter! HUGE! And that 12" Lefty Welk dyed a beautiful bluish black frum an iron sulfide rich mud burial.........
It was a cool windy morning so I'm like dressed in my hiking boots, blue jeans & leather coat but when I get to the end - 4.5 miles! I'm seeing good possibilities out there in the low tide shallows so I strip down to my shirt & skivvives and I'm out there in knee deep water fishin for shells the results of which are in the above pix. then I had to get dressed and lug all those things back the - yep - 4.5 miles........ I'm going back there 2maro morn - cant fukin wait!

·
Registered
548 Posts
"You, too, can live like a homeless person without giving up your creature comforts, and for just a few million bucks!"

61 - 80 of 113 Posts