Personality Cafe banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
They have quite the gator and snake situation there; how will the koon manage?

<<<<<<--------------take it frum a koon!

There's a few gators in the panhandle but not like down south and all the python snake issues are all south as well - in the Glades and Big Cypress. TOOOO cold in the panhandle for pythons but I do have a couple good snake stories that I experienced when I was stationed in SE Asia 45+ years back but nothing I'ld write about. That for straight up alcohol conversations only.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
All of the scenic places I like to hang out at during daytime are essentially closed, shut down, non accessible, etc.
state & national parks, beaches, etc. Thanx Covid.

<<<<<-----------------take it frum a koon!

I've found a nice secluded & remote spot in the Osceola National Forest west of Jacksonville Fl and have been here now for about 24 hours.
IMG_0708.jpg IMG_0707.jpg

Haven't seen or heard 1 person, no quads, dirt bikes, USFS Rangers, NO 1! Zero, zip nata!
Temperatures will be rising into the 90's after tomarrow tho & coupled with this Florida humidity ? Will make it very uncomfortable to me. So I'm thinkin its time to slowly start making my way back North and I'll prolly head to South Carolina for a bit where temps will be in the mid to upper 70's. Much more comfortable.

·
Banned
5,408 Posts
All of the scenic places I like to hang out at during daytime are essentially closed, shut down, non accessible, etc.
state & national parks, beaches, etc. Thanx Covid.

<<<<<-----------------take it frum a koon!

I've found a nice secluded & remote spot in the Osceola National Forest west of Jacksonville Fl and have been here now for about 24 hours.
View attachment 840459 View attachment 840461

Haven't seen or heard 1 person, no quads, dirt bikes, USFS Rangers, NO 1! Zero, zip nata!
Temperatures will be rising into the 90's after tomarrow tho & coupled with this Florida humidity ? Will make it very uncomfortable to me. So I'm thinkin its time to slowly start making my way back North and I'll prolly head to South Carolina for a bit where temps will be in the mid to upper 70's. Much more comfortable.
Hi Koon, i just found this channel in youtube :

I believe you also had that capacity, and wisdom.

Sent sans PC

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Hi Koon,
I believe you also had that capacity, and wisdom.
PC
Haha, I ain't tooo sure about that wisdom part, dude.

<<<<<<---------------------take it frum a koon!

More like Socrates, "The only thing I know , is I know nothing."
maybe John The Baptist, "A Voice crying in the Wilderness,"

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Hmmm. I was wondering to myself about the best thread to post this in.
Candidates were, Venting thread, ask intj question thread, things that make intj laff thread, post intj pictures thread, etc.

<<<<<---------------------take it frum a koon!

This thread, I think, is where it belongs:
IMG_0720.GIF IMG_0718.jpg

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Left the nicely wooded spot I was at in the Osceola National Forest Friday eve just before dark. I had taken a nice shower in the woods just before sunset and, damn! I was feelin so clean & new jus figured it was time to move on before it got totally dark. So I packt vrything up and split while it was twilight.

<<<<<<<-------------------take it frum a koon!

Found a nice quiet place to park & sleep for Friday night and then set about to find a new secluded wilderness place and yep I found one!

IMG_0726.jpg

"When you come to the fork in the Road.........Take it." Yogi Berra

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
One thing I haven't covered is self protection while livin in my truck. I'm not into giving advice as to how or why you should or shouldn't have or use this that or the other thing to provide for your security. Its your life & limb and mine is mine. All i can do is tell you what I do and so here it is..............

<<<<<<<<<------------------------take it frum a koon!

The number one thing is to never park someplace where I'm not comfortable. Avoiding trouble is best so I try to only go to places that are very low possibility of having a bad and I always let my intuition be my guide - if it doesn't feel right I don't go there. For example, all across Murahka there are Walmart stores that will let you sleep in a truck, car, van, RV, Motorhome, etc overnight in their parking lot. A very few of these even have night time parking lot security which makes some travelers/vehicle dwellers feel better about staying overnight there in such a lot. My opinion tho, is from the other direction: Any Walmart that is in an area that they feel the need to have a night security patrol in their lot; hmmmm, well I don't want to stay there.

Now what about defense weapons: There are so many different jurisdictions that I stay in ,travel thru, etc that its impossible for me to keep track of all the differing & varied laws regarding the possession of this that or whatever that I might use for a self defense weapon; by this I'm referring mostly to gun laws here in the USA but also items like pepper spray too, and tasers, etc.

I'll address the pepper spray thing first: I don't carry it in my truck, don't bother with it cause its illegal in some jurisdictions or you need some kind of permit to have it etc. TOoo much hassle so I don't bother with it. What I do have in my truck, tho, is a big can of wasp/hornet spray you know , in case I run into a bunch of wasps or hornets when I'm out in the wilderness. Can buy it anywhere, carry it in the truck , its not illegal to have in the truck or in possession. And I get the big can that shoots a spray of this stuff over 20 effing feet. SOoooo if I'm like needing to pepper spray someone in order to defend myself well they're going to get a big shot of liquid hornet/wasp killer square in the eyes! Enjoy that asshole.

I'll address firearms next post. Jonny Koon Luzsha

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Firearms; do I carry a gun in my truck? Yes I do but not a handgun even tho I would like to have a handgun in my truck but there are just too many differing laws & jurisdictions that I frequent, pass thru, hang out in and while some of these places have the most lenient handgun laws in Murahka (Mississippi & Arizona) others have some of the strictest (California) so I just avoid the entire thing by not having a handgun in my truck. FYI tho, if I did have a handgun with me for my truck living experience it would be a 4" or 6" barreled stainless steel .357 revolver........
The firearm I have with me is simply a good old fashion "truck gun"..........

<<<<<<<---------------------take it frum a koon!

Whats a "truck gun"? You asked? Well a truck gun is synonymous with what we called , when I was a teen growing up, what we called a 'throw away gun". Meaning a gun that , well if you had to throw it away for what ever reason you wouldn't really care.
So what is the criteria for a truck gun?
1-Its a gun thats versatile; good at pretty much anything but not necessarily great at anything:
Can use it for hunting small game to deer sized animals; self defense if need be; fun like plinking/target shooting too.

2-Its a gun thats inexpensive to down right cheap;
Its in your vehicle, what if its stolen, you gotta throw it away or lose it; or maybe it gets confiscated. So you don't want a bunch of money invested in this thing.

3-Nothing that has any sentimental value; emotional attatchment to;
Prolly not the first gun you owned that you received for you 13 birthday from your dad or a hand-me-down frum grand dad.

4-A truck gun has to be rugged, built to take punishment;
Cause this thing is going to get bounced around, beat up, get dings & scratches from driving thru all kinds of places & terrain and there will be times you just throw it in the back somewhere for a time & it might get some surface rust & wear.
4-a Which also means its a gun that will have no scope mounted on it; open sights only.

5- Relatively small, cause well there aint much room in a truck anyway and if you are living in it; well there's even less.

6- chamberd for a common cartridge, so you can get ammo quick whereever you may end up at.

You get the idea now what a "truck gun" is?

I'll elaborate more on my particular truck gun but right now its time for a break.
Jonny Koon Luzsha

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Here's what gun I carry in my truck: its an old Western Field Model 150D .410 3 shot bolt action shotgun. Would this gun be my first choice for a truck gun? No but I've owned this thing for about 45 years or so & I paid $10 for it frum a guy who was gettin divorced at the time & needed money and it fits all of my previous post criteria for a truck gun.

<<<<<<<<----------------------take it frum a koon!

I took this .410 and shortened the barrel to 18.5" - used a pipe cutter on it and then cut the stock so the overall length of the gun is 28". This makes the gun very small for truck livin and also keeps it legal all across Murahka. After using the pipe cutter on it I "reamed" the end of the barrel with a 3/8" drill bit and then used a 13/32" drill bit on the end. I then used a round chainsaw file to "hone" the end and then I used a half inch bit to put a slight chamfer on the end. After this I drilled a slight hole in the top of the barrel about 1/4" from the end where I mounted a small brass screw to replace the original brass bead front sight that was on the original barrel. VOILA!! INTJonny Gunsmithin' 101!

Now some peeps might not be too impressed with a .410 but its a great gun for small game and properly loaded & applied will kill deer sized game and can be used for self defense. Don't count a .410 out! Within typical self defense distances the lil .410 loaded with 3" magnum slugs will EXCEED .357 magnum delivered kinetic energy and approach the energy levels of a .41 Magnum revolver! Thats some man stopping power! .........and with the soft alloy lead that shotgun slugs are made with , it provides for rapid expansion of the slug creating a massive wound channel and one doesn't need to worry about over penetration.

So there's what & why about my truck gun. Will elaborate in a bit on a few other options.
Jonny Koon Luzsha

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
Actually there's a ton of options for truck guns but if you're only going to have one gun while living in your vehicle you've got to decide if you want a small carbine type rifle or a small shotgun or a third possibility is the combination guns that are both and I'll take these first.

Combination guns: these types of guns are generally over under double barreled guns that have the upper barrel chambered for some caliber of rifle cartridge while the lower barrel is chambered for some gauge of shotgun. I.e. The upper barrel may be chambered for a .223 Remington or 30-30 or 7.62 x39 or 22LR rim fire while the lower shotgun barrel is chambered usually for 20ga or .410 shotgun. This gives a person complete flexibility regarding the choice - option - of using the same firearm platform for either long distance/large game rifle requirement or short range small game shotgun requirement.

In the small carbine rifle department its hard to beat, in my opinion the Paratroop SKS chambered for 7.62x39. I own one of these and it was hard to make the choice between it and the .410 I've previously described. The price difference really made the decision for me as my paratroop sks ,which I bought 30 years ago for 75$ is now worth in the neighborhood of 400$ to 500$ Compared to my .410 which is maybe worth 75$. Big difference and i have more versatility, I think, with the .410.

Shotguns: when people talk about shotguns, they always talk about a 12gauge but truth is a 12 gauge is a lot of gun for most people to handle. I'm 6'1" and about 190 and I don't care to shoot a 12 ga more than a few rounds at a time. Yeah at close ranges its a devastating firearm but it comes with a tremendous amount of recoil that most people never get accostumed to. Now there are a lot of small type pump guns out there like the Dickinson/ ATI or Mossberg that make excellent truck guns for less than 200$ chambered for 12 gauge but that smaller & lighter gun just makes it even more punishing to shoot which is why my recommendation is to get that small pump gun chambered for 20 gauge. A lot less recoil and at close ranges just as deadly and for the smaller people, especially women a 20 gauge or .410 is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
<<<<<<<<<--------------take it frum a koon!

Since my return to Michigan, I've been hangin at Kamp Jonny Koon but now that things are loosening up from the covid event was able to jump in the truck and spend soem time at beautiful Lake Michigan beaches. Mears State Park, Pentwater , Michigan & Ludington State Park, Ludington, Michigan.

Took abit of remembering how to function while living frum the truck and didn't forget to many needful items. The weather was warm to HOT with calm water so Beach Livin was top notch till the big storms rolled by Tuesday night & yesterday.

Will be doing some "beach recon" today & maybe bring the kayak.
Jonny Koon Luszha

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)
<<<<<<<---------------------take it frum a koon!

Got me a new Brella with tilt for when I'm beach livin frum the truk. Ordered it frum a Lifeguard Supply Store so its not a Kmart/Walmart piece of junk. Gotta tweak me a good mount yet but!; Lookin forward to beach chillin on my truk's 2nd story party deck, tunes playin, gin & ginger and throwin shade......... on me!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
<<<<<<<<<--------------------take it frum a koon!

The heat wave has me back livin from the truck and on or near some Lake Michigan Beaches. Pic From today. Its about 10 degrees F cooler near Lake Michigan then inland so with temps in the 90'sF for the foreseeable future I'm hangin at some remote & scenic beach places.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts