Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She screamed for me. I came to help her.. but was unsure what to do. Mom exclaimed : "I twisted my ankle" (To myself I said what am I supposed to do? Should I go call someone who "knows" what to do in this situation?) I abandoned my mother many times uncaringly. I helped her get in the house.. eventually then she proceeded to go back outside to try to put her bike away. I helped her.. I am angry with her. I don't know why though.. I guess I'm completely lacking in emotion when it comes to these things..

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Depending on the severity the Rest.Ice.Compression (joint support wraps).Elevation (on a chair or couch) approach normally works just fine, just be aware of sprains differing in pain levels and often taking only a few days to recover from unless tendon damage (easily done but more likely very minor twisting).

As for the annoyance, only you can figure out the source or what outcomes you imagine versus their likelihood.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I've been in similar situations. Person complains loudly about physical ailment. I'm confused, because I can't help them with said ailment, but feel a vague guilt that I should, so I help them awkwardly. But then Person goes about their day, no worse for wear, and I'm left feeling angry and insulted, because not only did their screaming unnerve me, but it looks like they weren't even in that much pain to begin with. They created all this fuss for nothing.

I'm not comfortable soothing other people's emotions. So I feel resentful when I'm expected to do so. I'm just not a good caretaker.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts