Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was after I called my cousin a tree-hugger vegetarian at the dinner table, as a joke. How insensitive do you guys get? The thing is that I kind swelled up in pride when my mom was telling me about how insensitive I am. The whole time I was thinking "nice".

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
D'oh.....I don't know how insensitive I am. I can't tell if I just said something too blunt. I'm insensitive!

Seriously, though, I only discover I have done this if someone tells me, and I am pretty sure that for every occasion that someone tells me, there are five more occasions where nobody says anything but they all think I am a jerk. The saving grace is that mostly people know I mean well, and they do seem to realise that the lack of a brain-mouth filter is also a sign of honesty, and appreciate that.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Yeah, I think I am on the verge of being ordered to therapy for stuff like that.

Fuck'em if they can't take a joke.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This was after I called my cousin a tree-hugger vegetarian at the dinner table, as a joke. How insensitive do you guys get? The thing is that I kind swelled up in pride when my mom was telling me about how insensitive I am. The whole time I was thinking "nice".
And your problem is............?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Very. I'm starting to wonder if I'm an ENTP, honestly. Random witty crap shoots out from my mouth at the speed of light and I'm joking...well, MOST of the time. I do wonder if people take it the wrong way.

Anyway, not being sensitive youself is a great trait to have, so emotions don't rule you. But upsetting others can get sticky. =\ It happens.

·
Registered
826 Posts
so she gave you a compliment then. ahh, the good old warthog, the most misunderstood animal of them all

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Heh you're actually proud of it? That's an idiotic mentality. Maybe it's the 'females should feel' hogwashanda that I'm subjected to, but I get annoyed when people say stuff like that to me. It means I've "lost points" with them, which I'll need if I ever want them to do/agree to something with me. I've learned that a lot of people are simply oversensitive, but those people could be your customers, career networking prospects, professors, and others who influence your outcome.

EDIT: ok ok, I secretly don't give an f. I do find people's overreactions highly amusing. It's all in the act, like "omgosh I didn't mean it that way!" But don't say "omgosh" yourself - unless you like shoe shopping and Madonna.

Try living with emotional Dom or Aux Fe types. You'll see the importance of a mouth filter within 36 hours.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Try living with emotional Dom or Aux Fe types. You'll see the importance of a mouth filter within 36 hours.
Yes, but maybe not for the reason you have in mind.

I've found that emotional women are secretly turned on by that sort of thing. Sometimes in really inappropriate contexts.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Yes, but maybe not for the reason you have in mind.

I've found that emotional women are secretly turned on by that sort of thing. Sometimes in really inappropriate contexts.
Well, I'll keep that in mind. Turning chicks on is not on my agenda.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yeah, I think I am on the verge of being ordered to therapy for stuff like that.

Fuck'em if they can't take a joke.
No kidding! I usually come off as being insensitive when I'm trying to prove a point:

...at a company-sponsored Happy Hour:

Clerk: This job sucks! I want more money and an office.
Me: You are under-educated and spoiled.
Clerk: It's not fair that you college-educated punks get offices/salaries and us working-class folks get cubes/hourly wages.
Me: Well...maybe if you showed some initiative and went back to school, you wouldn't be thought of as just another overpaid key-monkey.

The next day...ALL of the clerks hated me. I thought, "Damn! Is that all it took? I should've done that months ago!" Fucking clerks: you can't live with them and you can't kill them either.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
No kidding! I usually come off as being insensitive when I'm trying to prove a point:

Me: You are under-educated and spoiled.
Clerk: It's not fair that you college-educated punks get offices/salaries and us working-class folks get cubes/hourly wages.
Me: Well...maybe if you showed some initiative and went back to school, you wouldn't be thought of as just another overpaid key-monkey.

The next day...ALL of the clerks hated me. I thought, "Damn! Is that all it took? I should've done that months ago!" Fucking clerks: you can't live with them and you can't kill them either.
Watch it, buddy. Some of us are clerks to put ourselves through college.

Well, my title is technically "Market Research Analyst", but I still spend half the day shuffling papers and emails anyway.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Watch it, buddy. Some of us are clerks to put ourselves through college.

Well, my title is technically "Market Research Analyst", but I still spend half the day shuffling papers and emails anyway.
We all have to start somewhere...I opened electric bills in a basement from 10pm to 2am (they had people doing it 24 hours a day) and then was a bank teller until I graduated college.

The problem I have with "career" clerks is that they almost always have this warped sense of entitlement...it's as if, even though they didn't finish college, they should get the same perks that everyone else gets out of "fairness." Fairness? WTF? Fuck fairness and fuck everyone that whines about <fill-in-the-blank> not being "fair."

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

My version of that conversation would have gone like this:

Me: "You want more money and and office? Why should they give that to you?"
Clerk: "Because I think that's fair."
Me: "Really? You know what's not fair? The fact that there are 1.3 billion people in India, most of whom live on less than a dollar a day. Thanks to the wonders of the Internet, most of them can do your job from the other side of the world for a fraction of what you get paid. I think it's not fair that you are making $40K/year or whatever just because you live here. So rather than complaining about not getting paid enough to afford your lifted pickup or whatever fucking lower-class emblem of success you aspire to, I would instead put a lot more effort into contemplating how you're going to compete against clerks who make a dollar and hour and are just happy to not be dying of dysentery."

And then, after smiling clearing my throat - - -

"So, any good movies out now?"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts