Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went for a job interview. I was pretty hyped about the position and all, cos it offers a change of environment and a new industry to learn about. But now I'm having doubts... I'm dreading having to get to know all these new people and colleagues, and prove that I'm up to the job and not a pushover, etcetc.

So now I'm half hoping they won't offer me the position so i don't have to face having to decide whether to put myself through the whole meeting new colleagues/customers thing.. :/ I always end up with these kindof thoughts when it comes to new opportunities, I'm my own worst enemy ><

Anybody feel the same way? How'dyou deal with it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think most people find the unknown a bit frightening at times. I do sometimes too, I tend to just ignore those thoughts and keep going. Once you say yes to an offer and sign a contract it's too late and you have to do it.

Something I do when I feel nervous about job interviews in particular is to look at all the people around me. I think to myself that everyone who has a job had to go through the interview, meet new colleagues and customers, learn new things. If they can do it, then so can I. Not the most earth-shattering technique, but it works for me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Haha, I feel that way all the time when I'm starting something new. It looks like one of the problems you are having is thinking too far ahead. When we think too far ahead, it allows doubt to creep in. That doubt then starts to exaggerate the challenges we may face in the future. To tell you the truth, they really aren't as bad or scary as we thought they were when we actually reach them. Take things slow, remember why this new position excites you, and trust yourself to be competent enough to get the job done. Just be the best Hrinfaxi you can. If it doesn't work out even after you've given %100, then you have nothing to be mad or disappointed about; the job was just not a right fit.

But anyways, Good luck.:proud:

Reactions: hrinfaxi

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... that's what I needed, a reality check. StraightCrushin, I think you hit the nail on the head, the problem is thinking (worrying?) too far ahead.

I think most people find the unknown a bit frightening at times.
I have a bad habit of filling up the unknown with all sorts of unpleasant what-ifs :p Not to mention obsessing over the difficult questions or (perceived) negative comments of the interviewer.

While I've learned to understand this pattern, I've yet to conquer it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a bad habit of filling up the unknown with all sorts of unpleasant what-ifs :p Not to mention obsessing over the difficult questions or (perceived) negative comments of the interviewer.

While I've learned to understand this pattern, I've yet to conquer it.
I do the same thing, thinking about worst-case scenarios. Sometimes you just have to ignore your own mind.

Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard back from the company…they offered the position to someone else, cos they wanted someone more ‘vibrant and dynamic’. I wasn’t too surprised by that, cos at the interview they asked me whether I had a late night the day before, since they thought I came across as pretty un-energetic. (To which I replied that I’m always like that… d: so sue me. I’m not a cheerleader, have never been)

Aaanyway. It’s funny, I’m actually feeling pretty good about being rejected as not being a good ‘fit’, almost as if I’ve liberated myself from having to be someone I’m not while at work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hmm, maybe you should spend a little time figuring out exactly what you want from a job, that way you can apply for positions that excite you and where you will be a good fit. Otherwise you'll just end up unhappy at work.

I recently worked with a career coach to find out my strenghts, values and needs and it was enormously helpful. I'm much more selective about job applications now. You don't have to pay someone to help you, there are plenty of books on the subject.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I realized recently that I definitely need to go about this in a more targeted way. I read Do What You Are : Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type. I found the personality descriptions (based on the MBTI) a little too general and sometimes hard to distinguish between the types. But it's been a good exercise in introspection and being honest with myself.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You should go deeper than just your personality type, there's more to you than that. I went to my local library and flipped through all of their career-type self-help books (they'll be in amongst the "how to write a good cv/resume books"). Look for one that actually have exercises about things like what you enjoy doing, what you're good at etc. MBTI will be quite general, you need to look at work stuff specifically as well.

I haven't read it personally, but I have heard of a book called "What color is your parachute". I think a lot of people like it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.