Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rationale:

I've been trying to sort through my own understanding of the four dichotomies (which I'm more interested in here than the cognitive functions; that debate belongs elsewhere).

I've generated 20 paired statements for each preference and I'm curious for any feedback (see questions at the very bottom).

My priorities were using fairly simple language for the uninitiated, and especially avoiding the irritating tendency in these metrics to make Sensing sound dull-minded or inferior.

I don't really see the point of mixing up these statements to obscure what they measure; I think the preferences come across quite clearly and it's up to the test-taker to be mature enough to be self-honest, and not seek to fit a type they're attached to.

Caveats:

I know there is variability within types (obviously) so I don't expect these results to be incredibly unambiguous or consistent for everyone.

There are some personal value statements here that I think derive from temperament, but which individuals of any given temperament may personally put more or less stock in.

You may very easily strongly agree with both statements in some cases (I think a well-balanced person inevitably will) and not relate to either in others. But the important point is, of course, which way you tend to lean more often, however slightly.

[HR][/HR]
INTROVERT / EXTROVERT

I feel most at ease in my own inner sanctum.
I feel most at ease out where things are happening.

I run out of emotional energy when I spend too much time around other people, and have to recharge on my own.
I run out of emotional energy when I spend too much time on my own, and have to recharge around other people.

I can be exhausted by the energy levels of my external environment; I like things to be calm.
I can thrive on the energy of my external environment; I like things to be busy.

I’m often drawn back into my own head, away from other people.
I’m often drawn out of my own head, to the outside world and other people.

I’m very cautious about exposing myself to new risks.
I love to try new things, even if it means taking a risk.

Even if I don’t care about the opinions of others, I’m often uncomfortable when I might face their disapproval.
Even when I care about the opinions of others, I’m mostly unfazed if they don’t respond positively right away.

I’m comfortable with what is familiar to me and under my control.
I get bored with routines and familiarity; I’ll try anything once.

I’m easily overstimulated and often feel the need to withdraw.
I’m easily understimulated and often feel the need to put myself out there.

I like to mentally prepare myself before getting involved in something.
I like to jump straight into the action.

I’m primarily interested in my own priorities, ideas and concerns.
I can be even more interested in what other people are thinking and doing, than in my own plans and ideas.

I’m more uncomfortable when people approach me out of the blue.
I’m more uncomfortable when others around me don’t let me in on what they’re doing.

I feel more sure of myself when I pause to self-reflect.
I feel more sure of myself when I’m in the middle of doing something.

However much I engage with the external world, I like to mull it over in my own head afterwards.
However much I examine and reflect on myself, I like to come back to the ‘real world’ afterwards.

I’m more worried about getting into an unpleasant situation.
I’m more worried about missing out on the action.

People are more likely to mistakenly think I’m disinterested or uncomfortable.
People are more likely to mistakenly think I’m shallow or attention-seeking.

I’d rather take in information by listening and observing.
I’d rather take in information by participating and experimenting.

I think things through in my head and work them out privately before I start.
I talk things through with others and work them out as I go along.

I like having time to prepare my comments, even if I’ve already thought about the topic at hand.
I like sharing my ideas right away, even if they’re half-baked.

When I’m stressed, it can feel like things are moving too quickly.
When I’m stressed, it can feel like things are moving too slowly.

I prefer to play with ideas in my head and imagine potential outcomes.
I prefer to experiment in my actual environment to see what happens.

[HR][/HR]
SENSING / INTUITING

I’m most interested in the real world and what happens in it.
I’m most interested in the possibilities beyond the world as it is.

I’m more likely to discount a possibility because it doesn’t fit with the established facts and my relevant experiences.
I’m more likely to discount a possibility because it doesn’t fit into the comprehensive conceptual system that I’ve built up.

I feel a clearer sense of direction once I can identify all the steps.
I feel a clearer sense of direction once I can imagine the big picture.

I feel more engaged when I’m learning about specific facts.
I feel more engaged when I’m learning about hypothetical theories.

I think it’s particularly important to be down-to-earth.
I think there are more important personal qualities than being down-to-earth.

I figure things out by closely examining the facts before me.
I figure things out by considering all kinds of possibilities.

I feel more confident when I approach a problem sequentially.
I feel more confident when I approach a problem systematically.

I feel that I really understand something once I grasp all its components and dynamics.
I feel that I really understand something once I fit it into a comprehensive system beyond it.

I’m more interested in conducting experiments and seeing the results than in developing the hypothesis.
I’m more interested in generating and considering hypotheses than in carrying out the experiment.

I dwell more on practical and concrete implications.
I dwell more on symbolic and conceptual implications.

I feel sure I know what’s going on when I have practical experience of it.
I feel sure I know what’s going on when I have a coherent theory about it.

I’m more easily distracted by something irrelevant if it seems like I might find practical use for it later.
I’m more easily distracted by something irrelevant if it brings up all kinds of fascinating possibilities.

I’m more likely to get lost in the moment.
I’m more likely to get lost in thought.

I’m convinced of something once I can point to the evidence and identify all the logical steps.
I’m convinced of something once I can explain the theory and relate it to other useful ideas.

A process has more value if it delivers practical outcomes.
A process has more value if it generates new possibilities.

I prefer things to be clearly defined in a specific way that I can make practical use of.
I prefer to ‘get the gist’ and consider concepts in flexible terms that I can apply in all different ways.

I want to know that it’ll work in practice before I think about all the theoretical possibilities.
I want to think about all the theoretical possibilities before I try to put it into practice.

I feel informed once I know all the facts.
I feel informed once I know all the concepts.

I’d rather let others think through all the ideas, if I can take practical action myself.
I’d rather let others take practical action, if I can think through all the ideas for myself.

I like to try out some different approaches before I commit.
I like to brainstorm several different ideas before I commit.

[HR][/HR]
THINKING / FEELING

I discount my emotions when I’m trying to interpret what’s going on.
I consult my emotions when I’m trying to interpret what’s going on.

I can understand and communicate systematic logic better than I understand and communicate personal feelings.
I can understand and communicate personal feelings better than I understand and communicate systematic logic.

I subordinate feelings and values to my logic and reason.
I subordinate logic and reason to my feelings and values.

I try to understand and apply my subjective values by first establishing objective reality.
I try to understand and deal with objective reality through the lens of my subjective values.

If my feeling about something seems at odds with the facts, I will double-check my feeling first.
If my feeling about something seems at odds with the facts, I will double-check the facts first.

I’m more interested in how the world works.
I’m more interested in what’s important to people.

If something feels wrong, but I can’t say why, I need to make sure something’s wrong.
If something feels wrong, but I can’t say why, that’s enough for me to know something’s wrong.

To do the right thing, you’ve got to have a clear head.
To do the right thing, you’ve got to have a pure heart.

If it’s meaningful, it will be possible to measure, analyse and prove it.
If it’s meaningful, we don’t have to be able to measure, analyse or prove it.

I’m more uncomfortable if I get a sense of inconsistency.
I’m more uncomfortable if I get a sense of disharmony.

Right and wrong is a matter of correct and incorrect.
Right and wrong is a matter of acceptable and unacceptable.

I can get too caught up in the task at hand and lose sight of other people.
I can get too caught up in other people and lose sight of the task at hand.

We need to discuss empirical facts and data when considering feelings and perspectives.
We need to consider feelings and perspectives when discussing empirical facts and data.

I’d rather be a bit cold than too sentimental.
I’d rather be a bit sentimental than too cold.

Just because I don’t make a big show of it, doesn’t mean I’m unfeeling.
Just because I’m up front with my feelings, doesn’t mean I’m unreasonable.

Ideals are pointless without a strong rational approach to make them possible.
You can be as rational as you like, but it’s meaningless without strong ideals.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
Never compromise on your ideals, no matter what.

I’m more immediately concerned with how I understand a situation rationally.
I’m more immediately concerned with how I experience a situation emotionally.

I’m less likely to notice flaws in people or things when I don’t care about them at all.
I’m less likely to notice flaws in people and things when I love and value them.

The argument cannot be compelling to me until I see the reasoning and evidence.
The argument cannot be compelling to me until I see what it means in human terms.

[HR][/HR]
PERCEIVING / JUDGING

I hold off on making a judgement until I have to.
I’m quick to make at least a preliminary judgement.

I tend to think it’s arrogant and presumptuous to think you can judge things quickly and accurately.
I tend to think it’s wishy-washy and feeble not to be able to make a discerning judgement.

I’m explorative in my tastes; I often discover things I wouldn’t have thought I’d like.
I’m exacting in my tastes; I know what I like and what I don’t like.

I’m naturally tactful; criticism takes more effort.
I’m naturally critical; tact takes more effort.

I hate to put things in boxes.
I find it very useful to classify things.

I’m more concerned about regimentation; it’s important for things to be flexible.
I’m more concerned about chaos; it’s important for things to be orderly.

I push against the boundaries if there is too much structure.
I create my own structure if there is none.

I feel in control if I can keep my options open; I like things open and adaptable.
I feel in control if I can make the final decision; I like things settled and resolved.

I feel more comfortable going with the flow.
I feel more comfortable following a plan.

People are more likely to find me aimless and vague.
People are more likely to find me rigid and overbearing.

It would be worse to miss out due to being inflexible.
It would be worse to miss out due to being non-committal.

Nothing is as harmful as misjudging something unfairly.
Not judging something at all can lead to as much harm as misjudging.

It’s worth finding compromises with other points of view.
It’s worth doing things the way I know they should be done.

I feel stuck if I have to make a decision to move forward.
I feel lost if I can’t make firm decisions to move forward.

I can get lost in the possibilities and thus fail to make a practical goal.
I can get locked into a goal and thus miss other practical possibilities.

I prefer to be able to change course even if that leaves things a bit vague.
I prefer to have a firm destination in mind.

I like to combine work and play.
Work and play are completely separate modes for me.

I don’t mind being seen as unreliable or lazy if it means that I can play it by ear.
I don’t mind being seen as rigid or uptight if it means that things go according to plan.

Some minor errors won’t bother me, if it works on the whole. (If it’s worth doing, what matters is that it gets done.)
Even if it works on the whole, it will bother me if there are some errors. (If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right.)

If you try to sort everything out exactly, you’ll miss life’s little happy accidents.
If you leave too much up to chance, all your efforts will be wasted.

[HR][/HR]
Questions:

Do you mostly match the colours that correspond to your type (assuming you're confident about it)?

Do any of these paired statements:

A) appear to be straight up repetitions?
B) seem far off the mark (rather than just variable)?
C) strike you as merely stereotypes or misconceptions?
D) seem confusingly worded to you?
E) appear to have any errors I've missed?

Any other comments? Would you expect someone could get something of an idea from a tool like this?

Is there anything you like about this, or any of the particular statements I've come up with?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Some of them are pretty good, though some of them seem like they could be from other categories. I find S/J and N/P are often confused for each other.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I related to my type. The only one I'd be getting a less clear result in is E v I but that's to be expected since I am not a full blown extravert. Still, got E as the majority there. Certainly better results than tests that question if you love people since it takes into account extraverts aren't always people centric.

I'm wondering if things like judging/perceiving ones might be a little muddier for Ji-doms and Pi-doms, if this suits socionics. Like "I'm quick to make at least a preliminary judgement"... But I'm not a Ji-dom. Just curious because it's often how I try to justify the difference between INFP and ENFP.

Struggled with this one for intuition: "I’m more likely to discount a possibility because it doesn’t fit into the comprehensive conceptual system that I’ve built up."

It just sounded to convoluted that I couldn't relate. I'd probably pick the sensing one here just because this doesn't make sense to me. I mean I guess I disregard things if it doesn't suit my morality, otherwise I don't disregard possibilities but when I read that statement I don't interpret that as morality being my "comprehensive conceptual system" because I don't look at it that way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts