Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so as many of you may know... i am 15 and i have issues at home. my parents cut me off today from all money... so i have to get a job to pay for my own like clothes, food, and anything else.

·
Banned
463 Posts
That stinks... I'm really sorry. I can give you some tips on looking for a job; in the meantime is there a friend you can stay with? That way you'll at least have access to food and what not.

It will be hard finding a job at 15, you're going to have to fake being an E. Apply at restaurants and fast food places. When you ask for an application you should also ask when the manager will be there. Turn in the application directly to the manager, if they don't interview you right then: call every few days to ask if they've looked at your application yet. Remember to be very polite.
Even though you will be feeling awkward and maybe nervous, just smile and try to talk in an upbeat voice.

The constant calling them will probably make you feel like you're being annoying, but they won't look at your application otherwise. It will be thrown with a bunch of other applications, and your will be chosen only if you're lucky.

Once again, I'm sorry this has happened. I wish there was something I could do for you, but this is the best I've got.

Reactions: tkdprincessxoxo

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That stinks... I'm really sorry. I can give you some tips on looking for a job; in the meantime is there a friend you can stay with? That way you'll at least have access to food and what not.

It will be hard finding a job at 15, you're going to have to fake being an E. Apply at restaurants and fast food places. When you ask for an application you should also ask when the manager will be there. Turn in the application directly to the manager, if they don't interview you right then: call every few days to ask if they've looked at your application yet. Remember to be very polite.
Even though you will be feeling awkward and maybe nervous, just smile and try to talk in an upbeat voice.

The constant calling them will probably make you feel like you're being annoying, but they won't look at your application otherwise. It will be thrown with a bunch of other applications, and your will be chosen only if you're lucky.

Once again, I'm sorry this has happened. I wish there was something I could do for you, but this is the best I've got.
i am actually about to have an interview for the local nursing home. if that doesnt work, i have friends working at the local dairy queen and theyre looking for more people. thank you so much for this advice.

but... i dont want to stay with a friend because im still busting my butt off to bond with my family so we can try to function without violence..

·
Registered
391 Posts
Working at a nursing home sounds like the perfect job for you! I hope you get that one. It would be nicer (I'm thinking) than working at Dairy Queen. OTOH, DQ would be a great place to meet people, hopefully make some friends closer to your age. But I really prefer old people to people my own age. But maybe that's just me.

In any case, good luck to you. (((hugs)))

·
Registered
707 Posts
You need to start looking out for you. It sucks, but you are being forced to be an adult right now by your family. Part of being an adult is knowing when to give up on certain situations and putting yourself in a place where you can do what is best for you. You can still bond with them from a distance, but technically, its still considered child abuse if they refuse to feed you and buy you clothes until you're 18. You are their responsibility, like it or not. Ask all the men out there who have to pay child support til their kids are 18. They sure don't like it, but that's our American society and the laws we have to live by. They do not have the option to not feed you- it's their job. It's not a bad idea for you to get a job, but you'd be best keeping the money somewhere that they have no access to or they're going to take it from you. You're too close to the situation to look at it objectively. Pretend that this were happening to a friend of yours. What advice would you give them?

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
I'm amazed at how different my approach would have been to family violence at the age of fifteen... seriously. I would walk around naked to protest the lack of paid-for clothing... I seriously would. As for food, eh, starving is OK with me.

·
Registered
815 Posts
You shouldn't have to put up with that kind of BS. I can understand getting a job (at 15) to buy nicer clothing and other such things but your parents have to feed you. I'm sorry but if this is true your parents are incompetent pricks and you should be elsewhere (with responsible/nurturing guardians).

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
I thought you were going to say that you would walk around with a knife or something... lol! Scare your family into feeding you! I have a great big mouth, so the entire world would know if I weren't happy about something.
Walking around naked is far more intimidating than a knife. It'd let everyone know who the boss is. I'm "gifted" in that respect. :tongue:

·
Registered
16 Posts
You need to start looking out for you. It sucks, but you are being forced to be an adult right now by your family. Part of being an adult is knowing when to give up on certain situations and putting yourself in a place where you can do what is best for you. You can still bond with them from a distance, but technically, its still considered child abuse if they refuse to feed you and buy you clothes until you're 18. You are their responsibility, like it or not. Ask all the men out there who have to pay child support til their kids are 18. They sure don't like it, but that's our American society and the laws we have to live by. They do not have the option to not feed you- it's their job. It's not a bad idea for you to get a job, but you'd be best keeping the money somewhere that they have no access to or they're going to take it from you. You're too close to the situation to look at it objectively. Pretend that this were happening to a friend of yours. What advice would you give them?
As an INFP, I know I should feel completely disgusted by any ESTJ opinion, but I have to say I completely agree. These laws exist to protect people like you. They can't deny you food and shelter until you are 18 and no longer their responsibility.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
You've had to do a lot more growing up than I have, and I'm ten years older. Stay strong. Don't let your parents' shortcomings hold you back and show them that you are ten times the person either of them are.

·
Registered
707 Posts
As an INFP, I know I should feel completely disgusted by any ESTJ opinion, but I have to say I completely agree. These laws exist to protect people like you. They can't deny you food and shelter until you are 18 and no longer their responsibility.
I promise, we're really not all that bad. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
i am actually about to have an interview for the local nursing home. if that doesnt work, i have friends working at the local dairy queen and theyre looking for more people. thank you so much for this advice.

but... i dont want to stay with a friend because im still busting my butt off to bond with my family so we can try to function without violence..
When I was 15 I worked at a dairy queen... whoa 11 years ago! It was an okay job, management in fast food restaurants could be difficult for infp's to put up with... be warned!!!

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
First of it is ILLEGAL For them to do that to you in the first place.
You are NOT 18 they have an obligation as parents to provide those things.

If I were you i'd march up to their faces and tell them that,I would also tell them that child abuse is illegal they
can go to jail for it,I know you don't want to fight but sometimes you have to.

You have to tell them that YOU will cut them off entirely not the other way around,that they are the ones that will have
No interaction with their daughter in the future. You have to be willing to get out of there and go to foster care.
I know you probably want to be with your parents but sometimes it doesn't work out.
Tell them that If you go into foster care if you leave you will be forced to erase them forever.
They will not see you attend college,fall in love,have children,be there at a wedding,be able to be grandparents and all
the other things parent usually look forward to.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There are probably a few women who have to pay child support too =P

·
Registered
113 Posts
There are probably a few women who have to pay child support too =P

My mom had to pay child support for my sisters and I, because she's the one who took off, and my Dad stayed but had just lost his job. She was a little slow about it, and my Dad was too easy on her, but there was that responsibility there.

So sorry you're going through this, tkdprincessxoxo...I ended up taking a paid high school internship when I was 16, which was good because even though it was a dull office job, it gave me some experience for my resume. I don't know if you have that option, but I thought I'd put it out there.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts