Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, after much effort, I've taken time to write down my personal principles and philosophy on how to live a meaningful life. I would greatly appreciate it, if you would take a few moments and read them, and share with me any compliments, criticisms, critiques, experiences, thoughts, or whatever comes to your mind.

I've spent about 15 hours writing this today, but it's imperfect and lacking content in areas. Still, I'd appreciate some opening comments :)

Principles | David L. Bowman

Also, be gentle. It was very hard for me to share my inner-beliefs publicly :)

·
Registered
ISFJ
5,197 Posts
@dlb i like it. you seem to have crammed a lot into a small space in a good way. my only area of confusion was the intro. You mention a next four principles but don't mention a first four principles first. i think those two bullet points, first leg and latter leg are a little confusing because of this. i honestly think it could possibly be taken out and the writing would not lose anything for it, not saying it doesn't sound good if you think it's necessary, or maybe just some rearranging. like -

-For complete understanding of our Purpose on Earth, we’re required to master eight principles.The first leg of this journey < and first four principles> begins with “The Self.” It opens with accepting your authentic-self, with all of its positives and negatives. We’ll progress into developing self-growth and sharing ourselves through self-expression. Lastly, but maybe most importantly, we’ll learn how to have self-compassion. For, compassion is the mechanism that propels us to continue.
-On the latter leg of this journey, we’ll discover “The Other.” It’s important to realize these next four principles mirror the previous four. Just as we ended with self-compassion; we’ll begin here with other-compassion. Then we’ll progress to other-expression and other-growth. Ultimately, we end in Oneness; which, in my opinion, is the same as the authentic-self. For, when we stare into the windows of another soul; we recognize the shared sparks-of-humanity and understand the Oneness of our Journey. Now, we’re all born with strengths and weaknesses. Our goal is to establish our strengths and seek out help for our weaknesses. We have a lot to learn, but also a lot to teach.

i don't know, i think it sounds more coherent like that. i do look forward to reading it again and a little more slowly.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@dlb i like it. you seem to have crammed a lot into a small space in a good way. my only area of confusion was the intro. You mention a next four principles but don't mention a first four principles first. i think those two bullet points, first leg and latter leg are a little confusing because of this. i honestly think it could possibly be taken out and the writing would not lose anything for it, not saying it doesn't sound good if you think it's necessary, or maybe just some rearranging. like -

-For complete understanding of our Purpose on Earth, we’re required to master eight principles.The first leg of this journey < and first four principles> begins with “The Self.” It opens with accepting your authentic-self, with all of its positives and negatives. We’ll progress into developing self-growth and sharing ourselves through self-expression. Lastly, but maybe most importantly, we’ll learn how to have self-compassion. For, compassion is the mechanism that propels us to continue.
-On the latter leg of this journey, we’ll discover “The Other.” It’s important to realize these next four principles mirror the previous four. Just as we ended with self-compassion; we’ll begin here with other-compassion. Then we’ll progress to other-expression and other-growth. Ultimately, we end in Oneness; which, in my opinion, is the same as the authentic-self. For, when we stare into the windows of another soul; we recognize the shared sparks-of-humanity and understand the Oneness of our Journey. Now, we’re all born with strengths and weaknesses. Our goal is to establish our strengths and seek out help for our weaknesses. We have a lot to learn, but also a lot to teach.

i don't know, i think it sounds more coherent like that. i do look forward to reading it again and a little more slowly.
Thank you :) I'm currently rewriting it and it looks a little off. I'm going to do what you said :) Thank you for reading!

·
Registered
ISFJ
5,197 Posts
@dlb i just read it again and i think it's perfect! the only thing that i thought was off at all was when you said ,"Silly people focus purely on their strengths and weaknesses, but this leads one down the path of self-rejection and despair." One, no comma is necessary after silly people and two, before that you wrote , "Now, it's important to realize your unique personality came with a bag of unique strengths, weaknesses and talents. These are your "tools of the trade. " Treasure them... This just confused me a bit. The way I read it is basically like your saying we are our strengths and weaknesses and talents, so why is it silly to focus on them? What else should we be focusing on? I guess it could be our uniqueness that we should be focusing on, but i am just a tad bit unclear here. Also 1.2 a. has a couple semicolons in it that shouldn't be there. "if you are deeply passionate and fearful about something it's a clear indicator you should be doing it. Never forget your strengths for they are the hammer and chisel sculpting your beauty, but never forget to carry your weakness to safety. Besides that I didn't see anything off at all. I think it is beautifully written and perfect as it is. A lot of food for thought and a great lesson in self-discovery and compassion.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@dlb i just read it again and i think it's perfect! the only thing that i thought was off at all was when you said ,"Silly people focus purely on their strengths and weaknesses, but this leads one down the path of self-rejection and despair." One, no comma is necessary after silly people and two, before that you wrote , "Now, it's important to realize your unique personality came with a bag of unique strengths, weaknesses and talents. These are your "tools of the trade. " Treasure them... This just confused me a bit. The way I read it is basically like your saying we are our strengths and weaknesses and talents, so why is it silly to focus on them? What else should we be focusing on? I guess it could be our uniqueness that we should be focusing on, but i am just a tad bit unclear here. Also 1.2 a. has a couple semicolons in it that shouldn't be there. "if you are deeply passionate and fearful about something it's a clear indicator you should be doing it. Never forget your strengths for they are the hammer and chisel sculpting your beauty, but never forget to carry your weakness to safety. Besides that I didn't see anything off at all. I think it is beautifully written and perfect as it is. A lot of food for thought and a great lesson in self-discovery and compassion.
Thank you again :) This is secretly me, bearing my soul. I'm still rewriting everything, and I'm going to make your corrections. I really have no idea what's grammar. When I publish, I always have an editor, and he or she fixes all of my stupid mistakes... :p I really look forward to seeing your comments next to me when I rewrite those sections :)

It means a lot to me.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
@dlb ... that was wonderful. Thank you, so much for sharing. I am gonna have a big smile on my face, all morning, me thinks :happy:

I think that I get what you mean by strengths/weaknesses vs parts. My life started to get so much easier when I started seeing that my weaknesses were simply mis-used.strengths. It got even better when I realised that all of the different parts of me had the same goal/purpose: "to protect, love and nurture me." It made me stop in my tracks and think, "why am I attacking and/or ignoring parts of myself that are just trying to love me."

Is that kinda what you meant? Or am I projecting ... which is entirely possible, because I do that sometimes :laughing:

Reactions: dlb

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@dlb ... that was wonderful. Thank you, so much for sharing. I am gonna have a big smile on my face, all morning, me thinks :happy:

I think that I get what you mean by strengths/weaknesses vs parts. My life started to get so much easier when I started seeing that my weaknesses were simply mis-used.strengths. It got even better when I realised that all of the different parts of me had the same goal/purpose: "to protect, love and nurture me." It made me stop in my tracks and think, "why am I attacking and/or ignoring parts of myself that are just trying to love me."

Is that kinda what you meant? Or am I projecting ... which is entirely possible, because I do that sometimes :laughing:
YES :D :) :) :) I need to get back to writing :) :) It's hard for me to write this because it's so much me :) I'll start now :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
YES :D :) :) :) I need to get back to writing :) :) It's hard for me to write this because it's so much me :) I'll start now :)
In my opinion, the most inspirational products of the mind are those that contain an element of the author's heart. You show much heart @dlb. I wish you every success!!

Reactions: dlb
1 - 8 of 8 Posts