Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess I shouldn't say this is "my" praying mantis in the possessive sense, but today I encountered a praying mantis on my walkway, just standing there. Let me just tell you, I am in love with praying mantises, but I rarely ever see them. Today was my blessed day, because I found one and had time to spare to make friends with this fine specimen. In my estimate, there is something magical and almost sentient about praying mantises. The way they tilt their heads and move and look toward you; it's enchanting.

When I encounter insects, whether moths, dragonflies, or mantises, I try to send out positive energy and pheromones to them and reach out to let them stand on my finger. Many comply. Today, this mantis, who's name is Winthrop, by the way, crawled up my arm and onto my neck, like a parrot. Then I started placing him in different locations, and he got annoyed and scratched at me. I got the pictures I wanted, and then I asked for his forgiveness, which I truly believe I got.

Here is Winthrop (no thanks to photobucket's poor photo compression quality):

Striking a sharp pose on my fingers

Looking serene on a leaf with showers of sunlight

Winthrop being adventurous

Careful Winthrop!

I just have a feeling that other INFPs may appreciate and/or relate with the magical nature of mantises and other insects. Have you ever had a magical experience with an insect?

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
can't say i have...insects are the bane of my existence (mosquitos, flies, bed bugs, ants)...

that said, I love your pics, they're full of idealistic style!

·
Registered
470 Posts
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!! i love them toooooooooo! there was one in the park by which i live a few weeks ago, and i was with a friend and we were just hanging out with him, letting him hang out on our fingers and tilt his head and things. we named him but like a total asshole i completely forget what it was :(

anyway, i love your little winthrop :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
had to find this and post it. a praying mantis that was lounging right by my door four years ago on my birthday. i just came home from something or other and went to open the door and there he was, looking at me.

That is a fine praying mantis, there! I am glad I have found another mantis enthusiast. They strike the most captivating poses, do they not? :)

I'm going to see if I can find this one picture I have of a dragonfly that I held for like 30 minutes, with a moth that perched on the dragonfly.

·
Registered
602 Posts
thats awesome, i think praying mantises are pretty cool. i remember one time me and my friend were playing soccer in the backyard and found one that looked like the one u posted. it was really cool and it just looked so elegant.

this one is from a few years back outside of rite aid (where i worked), took a few pictures with my phone so it doesnt really show how beautiful it is. still, i am always grateful when i encounter one.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I think they look pretty cool but don't they eat each other? o_O that's always creeped me out

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Wonder-full pictures. Looks like from the praying mantis alien species group. Highly intelligent insects.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Definitely always had both a love and hate relationship with the praying mantis. It definitely is an absolutely beautiful creature and reminds me of a dragon.

On the other hand, I'm a spider fan ever since childhood and they will always be rivals! I know I'll sound like a brute saying this, but have you ever seen any Japanese Bug Fight videos out on the web? Some of the praying mantis battles are incredibly interesting from an observation perspective. Doesn't mean I'm into dog fights or anything though.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Well, I guess I shouldn't say this is "my" praying mantis in the possessive sense, but today I encountered a praying mantis on my walkway, just standing there. Let me just tell you, I am in love with praying mantises, but I rarely ever see them. Today was my blessed day, because I found one and had time to spare to make friends with this fine specimen. In my estimate, there is something magical and almost sentient about praying mantises. The way they tilt their heads and move and look toward you; it's enchanting.
Once, on the way to school, I found a baby praying mantis on the sidewalk. I was worried that it would get stepped on by the other kids walking to school so I picked it up. For a while I held it in my hand but then I just let it climb on me up my neck and into my hair. That day I had to write an essay, so I sat and wrote it with the little praying mantis on my desk. And on the way home, I was on a crowded bus and was super careful that he didn't get hurt. All the middle school boys on the bus were liek OMG GROSS WTF IS WRONG WITH HER, and I gestured to move the praying mantis towards them and they recoiled :tongue:

So I took it home and let it out in my garden, which is big and full of bugs and plants :laughing:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm extremely irritated of most bugs, like when I was last camping I was a total nervous wreck because of all the horseflies, or when a spider appears descending right above me when I'm relaxing in my room (looks up to check), or when a wasp nest appears outside my bedroom window, or when a centipede darts across my bare feet in the bathroom, or when the garbage bags tears and maggots spew out. Ugh, I'm already getting shivers! I really react like a stereotypical little girl when it comes to bugs, ahaha.

I didn't used to be afraid of bugs until one of my next door neighbours told me when I was like 5 not to step on ants because they have a soul and it hurts them...then I did everything to avoid stepping on any of them ever, which eventually just turned into me being afraid of them entirely. When I'm lawnmowing I still always try to avoid all the grasshoppers and butterflies and stuff.

Cooler bugs like praying mantis' I've always liked. Once when I was little I saw one on the playground, watched it and observed it, just sitting there on the pavement, tried to bring it grass to eat. Then the other kids came and squashed it with a basketball for fun...I really hated that.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I like mantis's, especially their rotating heads, so weird! Thanks for posting this, I just found a mantis today in my backyard and was inspired to take some pics. Reminds me of my highschool friends who used to collect them in their backyard and bet on fights to see which would would kill the other (humans are so brutal!) Here's my mantis.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AllorNuthin, what a beautiful mantis you found! Thanks for sharing.

Danse Macabre, haha! That reminds me of something I did in grade school (5th grade). I took an ant to school with me from home and I let it run around on my desk, and I ignored the class until my teacher realized things were happening at my desk. I told her I was just taking care of "Jigsaw", my ant. She said to throw it out, but I refused, so she sent me and Jigsaw to the principal's office. "What a commotion you made, Jigsaw!" I told him/her as we plodded toward the dreaded office. I brought Jigsaw in, and the principal told me to get rid of the ant. Jigsaw was crawling around my hand and I kept having to guide it around, and I said, "No, I can't just get rid of Jigsaw!" I was obviously in my little escapist fantasy land that I discovered I could use to avoid things like school, but then the fantasy world sort of popped when a threat of punishment entered my ears, and Jigsaw was quickly dispatched to the outdoors.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is a picture I have from September '08, where I held a large dragonfly for well over half an hour, as well as a moth that hopped on to join the togetherness! Here they are. They have no names, at least that I gave them. Who knows what their friends call them. Probably the dragonfly is named "Zzzpp zzt zzt Zrm" and the moth "Fft fft flutter flutter Flit Flit".. I'm just guessing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts