Personality Cafe banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Here is a picture I have from September '08, where I held a large dragonfly for well over half an hour, as well as a moth that hopped on to join the togetherness! Here they are. They have no names, at least that I gave them. Who knows what their friends call them. Probably the dragonfly is named "Zzzpp zzt zzt Zrm" and the moth "Fft fft flutter flutter Flit Flit".. I'm just guessing.

Any kind of flying bug will send me into a complete freak out... :unsure:

But I absolutely love dragonflies...they are so beautiful. I just don't want them to touch me....and all is good. :happy: This is a wonderful picture.

And very cool pics of the praying mantis'....thank you for sharing.

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
733 Posts
Matchbook, way ahead of your time as far as appreciating nature and life in general, if everyone felt the way you did we wouldn't have environmental problems. All adults should be forced to take a class in living life to its fullest taught by you and jigsaw. You were probably ignoring school because it was boring, don't them them dehumanize you. Good to hear someone else cares about things more important than human false-reality.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
That's so beautiful!

I do this kind of thing with butterflies. At my old house we used to have a cherry tree and a buddleia so there were quite a few butterflies around. I use to stand with my arms out either side of me, in their flight path, hoping one would land on me and they did!

I also used to wait for them to land on the ground and I would creep up on them and put my finger under their feet and they would climb on my finger. I love butterflies :happy:

I also get what you mean about trying to give off 'positive energy' I try to do that too.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Riy - WHOA! That is one awesome looking moth. I haven't seen any moths like that where I live, but we still have some pretty cool ones, like this one large one that comes out at dusk and hovers and buzzes around flowers like a hummingbird.

Umbrellasky - That sounds so wonderful with the butterflies landing on you. I used to be a majorrrrr butterfly enthusiast in grade school, but I didn't really have the proper respect for them, because I used to catch them in my net and then put them in a jar with a cottonball of fingernail polish remover so they would die and I could put them in my collection. I know, it's horrible. But I was only following what one of my books had in it, but something about it felt wrong. Now I respect them. I also like to hold out my hand for butterflies. A couple of months ago I was sitting in the forest with a friend, talking, and there was a northwestern fritillary butterfly flitting around us for awhile, and after 5 minutes I moved over to a stump that was in the sun and held my finger out, and I told my friend, "Just give it a minute, and it will land on my finger. I'm inviting it." We continued to talk, and I relaxed my body and mind and smiled inside to attract it, and it came and landed on my finger and sunned itself for a little bit, and took off. This amused my friend. It felt spiritual in a way.

AllorNuthin - I've always loved things in nature, but it's taken awhile for me to develop a deeper and more spiritual respect for it and all of the organisms in it. The older I get, the more wondrous it becomes.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
i thought praying mantises (manti?) were well refined killing machines, designed by nature as the perfect weapon to rip apart smaller insects and devour them. that always just kinda got in the way of me ever appreciating a praying mantis's beauty fully.

and nothing like a movie showing ladybugs predatorially devouring those tiny insects (cant remember what theyre called) to put you off THEM.. i mean at least wasps and hornets are sociable..

21 - 27 of 27 Posts