Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Yes, I know this is kind of personal.

But, I really can't stand the idea of something messing with my system and I previously had a scare so I want to make sure I'm protected. I want a natural form of birth control. What are natural forms of birth control that are effective?
I haven't really taken advil, tylenol, or pills in general. So, I'm not the kind of person that will turn to them.

I also was previously on Yaz. Then, I was in a bad relationship. I didn't feel like myself. I still don't know how much of an effect birth control had on that with messing with my moods and how much was me in a relationship or that time of my life. You can imagine that being really freaky. So, hey, this is my reality, but was I so moody really, or was it the pill? Yaz is actually off the market and there are accounts of bad things happening. So, imagine that also.

While on the pill years ago, I got a really light period and I freaked out. I researched and I thought it could be some form of pregnancy. Because we would also have sex where he would not have a condom, but he never ever came in me. Precum, etc. Just general paranoia, because sex can lead to pregnancy and we weren't safe and my body was going through changes. We actually went through clinics and hospitals, tests, and stuff. Thinking of options if I was pregnant. Needless to say it was just ridiculous. I was being ridiculous. But, I do get really freaked out about these things.

Anyways, fast forward to now and I'm having sex again. We used condoms. There were problems in his department because his condom was too thick for him, then it ended up being too thin and the condom broke. And he came in me. He went with me and we took the morning after pill, Next Choice, last week. Now, I'm bleeding lightly but I don't feel as though it's my period. My stomach feels iffy every once in a while, like a stomach ache. And I feel a little nauseous but that might only be when I think the possibility of pregnancy is there. When taking the pills, my boyfriend and I felt like all we had to do was wait for when my period would come. That's not reassuring at all. Anyway, I'm bleeding lightly and I feel like this pill will mess with me again. So, I'm going to see a nurse. Does anyone have experience with the morning after pill? Would you feel comfortable telling me about it? I want some kind of reassurance...

I kind of have this aversion towards sex. I'm not ready to have a baby at all. And twice in my life, I've thought I could be pregnant... What gives? It's pretty traumatic. My boyfriend is still acting attracted to me physically and I don't understand him. It's no longer flattering. I just want to be left alone. I've already gotten attention for my looks and it really pisses me off. Anyways, I think I want to abstain for a while. But, I don't know if I have to get over this to have to be okay with sex again or what. Maybe I'm being dramatic but I am going through something. I just want to have my period normally. I'll celebrate for crying out loud.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the morning after pill? Would you feel comfortable telling me about it? I want some kind of reassurance...
I have taken it twice. I am also using completely chemical-free birth control methods (rhythm plus condoms and spermicide) -- feel free to ask me about that if you want, but for now I'll talk about the morning after pill.

What it does: it delays ovulation by a day or two, so that any sperm wandering around your body die off before the egg makes its appearance. If you have not ovulated yet, this works. If you already ovulated, the pill can't change that.

The morning-after pill can throw your cycle a little out of whack, since it delayed your ovulation and the start of your period is tied to that. Is your current bleeding on schedule? (do you have a schedule?)

If you're getting stomachaches, that's probably stress. Uterine pains will feel like they're down by your bladder. (I occasionally feel myself ovulating, that's how I know.)

Feel free to ask me questions, PM me, etc... and take a few deep breaths. You'll get through this.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
l was on a pill with 20 mcgs of estrogen, very low dose and l had a reaction with my legs swelling too much that l thought was normal at first.

Until it got really bad, l was reacting like someone who smokes and l don't smoke :cool:

l coud have tried somehting else, ut l wa turned off forever at that point. That's all normal for Plan B, your cycle is reset.

l would veer away from natural birth control, some condoms l don't find so bad.

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
l was on a pill with 20 mcgs of estrogen, very low dose and l had a reaction with my legs swelling too much that l thought was normal at first.

Until it got really bad, l was reacting like someone who smokes and l don't smoke :wink:

l coud have tried somehting else, ut l wa turned off forever at that point. That's all normal for Plan B, your cycle is reset.

l would veer away from natural birth control, some condoms l don't find so bad.
I don't have a problem with condoms. I encourage condoms. What my ex and I did was stupid.

Swelling of the legs. Scary.

I hope it is my period. I am feeling better about it.

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have taken it twice. I am also using completely chemical-free birth control methods (rhythm plus condoms and spermicide) -- feel free to ask me about that if you want, but for now I'll talk about the morning after pill.

What it does: it delays ovulation by a day or two, so that any sperm wandering around your body die off before the egg makes its appearance. If you have not ovulated yet, this works. If you already ovulated, the pill can't change that.

The morning-after pill can throw your cycle a little out of whack, since it delayed your ovulation and the start of your period is tied to that. Is your current bleeding on schedule? (do you have a schedule?)

If you're getting stomachaches, that's probably stress. Uterine pains will feel like they're down by your bladder. (I occasionally feel myself ovulating, that's how I know.)

Feel free to ask me questions, PM me, etc... and take a few deep breaths. You'll get through this.
I'll look into the birth control at another time. Hehe. Abstinence all the way!

How do you I know when I've ovulated?

My period is the end of the month. Now is too soon. But, I am bleeding lightly. And I am/was moody and I've had that with my periods. Or maybe it's the morning after pill. I wish I wasn't so moody also.. :{ Moodiness is also connected to pregnancy. Life is wonderful.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
How do you I know when I've ovulated?

My period is the end of the month. Now is too soon. But, I am bleeding lightly. And I am/was moody and I've had that with my periods. Or maybe it's the morning after pill. I wish I wasn't so moody also.. :{ Moodiness is also connected to pregnancy. Life is wonderful.
Generally ovulation happens 14-15 days after your period starts... with the usual caveats about everyone's different, YMMV, take this with a huge grain of salt, etc. etc. There are a variety of ways to track it: your body temperature will go up a bit when you're ovulating (people trying to get pregnant track their fertility that way), you may feel a little pain when the egg releases, you might (like me) get ridiculously horny when you're ovulating...

Humans are noted for how difficult it is to detect ovulation, unfortunately. It's a good idea to keep track of your cycles, though, that will help you predict your likely ovulation times.

Bleeding now could be the morning-after pill. It could be the stress of you worrying. (When my dad had his stroke, my period hit me a week early.) Moody doesn't prove much when you're freaking out. :happy:

Another note: if your boyfriend is breaking condoms... aside from possible manufacturing defects, make sure they're fitting him right. Condoms that are too small will break more easily.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Doesn't the morning-after pill induce a period?

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Any kind of hormonal birth control can seriously mess with your moods and your cycles. Some can make you feel crazy. No joke.
If this happens, definitely have the pill adjusted. Even the morning after pill can affect hormones and your cycle.
Also, as far as condoms go, there are different styles and sizes on the market. If you can't find anything local, then you can order somewhere online.

The only natural form of birth control (besides abstinence) requires fastidious planning, temping, and checking of cervical mucus to meticulously chart your cycles. You would have to know your body intimately and have sex on "safe days." It's not easy. That's why barrier methods are usually recommended.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
What's in spermicide that's chemically-free?
I think she means birth control methods that don't fuck up her hormones.

Because nothing is chemical-free.

I am not on the pill or planning on going on, but I am also prepared to go through with a pregnancy should it happen.

As for condoms, if your guy is having trouble finding the right condom for him, you can try the female condom or 'in condom'. Basically, instead of putting it over the man's penis just prior to intercourse you put it inside the female's vagina anywhere from just before to a few hours before intercourse.

There's some information on them in THIS video:

Reactions: unINFalliPle

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Cervical cap plus condoms together might be a good non-system-invasive approach with more effectiveness than condom or cap alone (unless you're allergic to the materials they're made of). When I was in a hetero sexual relationship years ago, I was terrified of getting pregnant and as an enneagram 6 type was pretty intense about preventing pregnancy. I also didn't want to take pills because yes that stuff does mess with one's system and I remember reading the precautions on a friend's pill prescription and thinking HELL NO.

Anyway, cervical caps are great because they're easy to put in (unlike diaphragms) and comfortable, they are a physical barrier right over the cervix, they also have a second barrier as you put a dab of spermacide in the tip. Combine that with a condom and then if one of the other fails, there's a backup.

Nothing is 100% but 2 non-invasive methods are better than just one IMO. And quite frankly, a guy who wants intercourse with a woman unwilling to become pregnant and isn't willing to wear a condom ... well, unless he's willing and able to carry any child himself in his own body, I say he should learn to deal with it already.

·
Grand Inquisitor
8,120 Posts
Natural Family Planning.

If you're not married, though, forget it. Honestly though, is there something wrong with waiting for marriage?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Cervical cap plus condoms together might be a good non-system-invasive approach with more effectiveness than condom or cap alone (unless you're allergic to the materials they're made of). When I was in a hetero sexual relationship years ago, I was terrified of getting pregnant and as an enneagram 6 type was pretty intense about preventing pregnancy. I also didn't want to take pills because yes that stuff does mess with one's system and I remember reading the precautions on a friend's pill prescription and thinking HELL NO.

Anyway, cervical caps are great because they're easy to put in (unlike diaphragms) and comfortable, they are a physical barrier right over the cervix, they also have a second barrier as you put a dab of spermacide in the tip. Combine that with a condom and then if one of the other fails, there's a backup.

Nothing is 100% but 2 non-invasive methods are better than just one IMO. And quite frankly, a guy who wants intercourse with a woman unwilling to become pregnant and isn't willing to wear a condom ... well, unless he's willing and able to carry any child himself in his own body, I say he should learn to deal with it already.
I am glad to know I am not the only one who has qualms about taking the pill.

Reactions: Aquarian

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Natural Family Planning.

If you're not married, though, forget it. Honestly though, is there something wrong with waiting for marriage?
Yes,because people are alive before that happens.

@OP Your boyfriend, or whoever you're having sex with, should learn how to get the right condom regardless of what other methods of birth control you are using.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The temperature method combined with checking cervical mucus is actually very safe if you do it right and don't have hormonal problems of sorts (which you'll also find out btw, because your curve won't look the way it has to), but it's also a bit of a pain because you need to be very meticulous about it. It's not the method that's unsafe, it's people who don't do it right, or still have unprotected sex during the timeframe they know they shouldn't.

You can also pee on sticks to find out your ovulation. There are computers like e.g. Persona that then do the calculations for you. It's less safe than the temperature method if used on its own though.

Both methods have in common that the time after ovulation is relatively foolproof. The time before, you will need to monitor for quite a while, and it's less safe (there's always scope for a cycle to be out of whack), so it's a better idea to use additional measures like condoms.

I stopped taking the pill in my 20s because I hated what it did to my body and my voice. I've tried different ones; none were completely without side-effects. Some were better, some worse, but ultimately, I just didn't want it anymore. I've since used NFP (which means we have to use condoms on certain days), and I've never fallen pregnant despite having sex several times a week ;)

When I wasn't in committed relationships, not using condoms would have been out of the question anyway. And it's true what others said: I wouldn't recommend to rely on NFP alone unless you're VERY disciplined. You'll always need to combine it with condoms. The only reason why I use NFP is that it gives us the opportunity to have sex without condoms for at least half of the time. If you're not that bothered about that anyway, you might just forget about it. Then I'd recommend finding the right condom sizes and practising their use a bit more ;) Or go for some of the other recommendations.

You could also go to a Family Planning Clinic, if available; they can help you to find the best method for your circumstances...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts