Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please share some exercises?

I know participating on a forum should be great exercise, but I never have the motivation to participate.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Play games to sharpen up your Te. Specifically strategic games like chess or Civilization or any other intellectual game. It's not the whole answer, but it's definitely a great place to start.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
How do you know your Te is not that good?

Not having a deep understanding of functions yet (so someone please correct me if i am totally off) but Te is like a reality check as far as i understand it, and keeps your thoughts in check so you don't turn into a conspiracy theorist that believes your garden gnomes are planning to rule the world. So you might want to ask yourself "is this real?", "is this efficient?", "will this work in practice?", "sounds good, but is there data to support this or is this just a wild hypothesis", "will it blend?:wink:".

Maybe a fun thing to do is pick some of the more believable conspiracy theories and try to figure out why they might be wrong. I'm a fan of the podcast 'Skeptics guide to the universe', they deal with those questions a lot so it might be useful to try a few episodes, if not for practice then just for infotainment.

Or maybe a nice exercise is to just look at commercials and analyze them asking yourself what part of the population is targeted and what 'tricks' or methods to sway the target into buying the product are used. Why do people fall for the Nigerian prince scam etc etc.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, moreso the part that enables me to write my thoughts.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Do stuff by yourself.

So if you fail, you can diagnose where and try again.

It removes blame and excuses from the equation and places you at the strategic end and implementation end simultaneously.

Learn until you succeed.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do stuff by yourself.

So if you fail, you can diagnose where and try again.

It removes blame and excuses from the equation and places you at the strategic end and implementation end simultaneously.

Learn until you succeed.
that's my life, my dear. I need to stop doing things alone.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm. In that case what do you hope exercising Te will help you achieve?

What is your goal besides just the exercise of Te?
My goal is to express myself more thoroughly. To write longer exposés. To bring out what my Ni gives me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My goal is to express myself more thoroughly. To write longer exposés. To bring out what my Ni gives me.
Then talk aloud to yourself when you're thinking or figuring something out. Well, that's if you want to be a speaker. If you want to be a writer, practice writing your epiphanies or your explanations for different phenomena. As you do either process, you'll see where you hit roadblocks, where you don't know something, where you use confusing wording, where you order thoughts non-linearly, etc etc. You can then attempt to correct it once you've identified the behavioral pattern to even exist.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Hmm. So a matter of communication.

I'd tackle the method by understanding how others work and are different from you. With INTJs you run the risk of them intuitively understanding what you are communicating, which defeats the purpose of being able to communicate by virtue of your competence at communicating.

Although there is no reason so simply go with my suggestions, I do suggest just explaining things to non-INTJs to experience how they deal with learning about new things.

I think you will find Ti has some intresting quirks - that information needs to be more logical and defined rather than derived from analysis of the objective environment. (In an oversimilified sense: booksmart and riddles v task force briefings)

I think you will find with Si that the experience and past practices of the listeners can influence the speed of what they grasp even more so than their capacity for imagination and abstract comprehension.

I think you will find Se will be better be able to grasp your concepts if your vocabulary and speech does not diverge too sharply from what they have come into contact with, rather than rely upon their capacity to simply imagine and through imagination learn.

I think you will find with Ne that the opportunity for novelty and exploration needs to be appreciated, but managed.

Some forms of communication involves identifying the needs of your listeners and meeting them. They have their quirks.

In some ways communication is like counter-intelligence, but without antagonism. It is teaching yourself how to teach. Through the application of listening and unrelenting albeit silent analysis.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I recommend talking with a Te dominant that can be trusted to give good critique.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
on a side note, I think it's very interesting that most of the responses recommend talking to yourself.

i think it's slower for one to self teach than to have an expert give you appropriate, measured, reasoned responses. I can dig out a study, if need be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts