Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have to come up with a theory of personality in a paper for a class. I wanted some feedback, shit was apparently due monday, but i had it in my mind as being due today.

We are all born with a collective unconscious right? Im saying that we are all born with the innate urge to fullfill our own personal "self" archetype. It is our main goal, behaviorally at least. We have this because our unconscious is genetically programmed to tell us that it is the best way to survive. So our entire lives we go about strengthening the certain traits that we have. We are attracted to those areas that we are interested in, or that our minds tell us are most important. These traits want to get stronger and stronger, partly controlling our behavior.

When we arent able to pursue this by using our traits, our minds get shocked and become neurotic. We develop the social-self or ego in order to cope with this. Most of us create a thick ego to cope with society, and some of us become depressed or anxious due to being unable to be ourselves.

This would make the goal in life to strip ourselves of social mental constructs and reach that true, core "self", which would bring us psychological health and happiness.

Its kinda blending ideas of a few different psychologists that lived over the past hundred years...what do ya think? I need criticism.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
It's basically Jung, with the exception of the social constraints would favor more the persona than the ego (your construct of Ego is a little more Freudian).

I don't know that we're born with the collective unconscious so much as it is something that just sort of exists as a part of humanity. It's not quite instinct but a little more ethereal than that. For example the Archetype of the good mother, it would be hard to really know if that was something we have just learned, that has just been passed down from generation to generation and functions almost innately, or if it is something more innate like a biological predisposition.

Jung would also argue that any dissociation or splitting of the psyche will result in problems (so the ego splitting off to form a conscious sphere, and its subsequent persona, though these things are necessary for survival, also by nature create a conscious sphere that is separate from the inner Self). Likewise the cognitive functions represent a further splitting of the ego itself down to four variables and the attitudes a further splitting of those variables and so forth.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's basically Jung, with the exception of the social constraints would favor more the persona than the ego (your construct of Ego is a little more Freudian).

I don't know that we're born with the collective unconscious so much as it is something that just sort of exists as a part of humanity. It's not quite instinct but a little more ethereal than that. For example the Archetype of the good mother, it would be hard to really know if that was something we have just learned, that has just been passed down from generation to generation and functions almost innately, or if it is something more innate like a biological predisposition.

Jung would also argue that any dissociation or splitting of the psyche will result in problems (so the ego splitting off to form a conscious sphere, and its subsequent persona, though these things are necessary for survival, also by nature create a conscious sphere that is separate from the inner Self). Likewise the cognitive functions represent a further splitting of the ego itself down to four variables and the attitudes a further splitting of those variables and so forth.
interesting. I just finished the paper actually haha. Lets just assume there's a collective unconscious for now, for the sake of theory haha.

I basically related our selves to a doll in my paper..like a toy baby doll. We start out as children, knowing only good, and then are corrupted. As the doll moves through life it gets torn up, and then either patches are put on it (ego) or we leave them and get depressed. Depression would be closer to the true self, but it would suck, while the patches would give us less free will and create a false sense of self. ya haha.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you're implying that you develop cognitive "filters" to cope with what could potentially break you, although these filters essentially "break" you down anyway?
Yeeaaa kinda. More like defense mechanisms than filters. It could be something like taking pride in a status or role, or making an object part of who you are, making a brand name part of you....literally in some cases...i knew a kid in HS who got an Adidas symbol tattoo...what a loser.

If we let go of all of these social attachments and constructs, we wouldn't judge people, and we would be able to experience and do more things to enjoy life. Tons of people get old, and it hits them that they wasted their lives on stupid things that didn't have any real meaning to them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts