Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon the preamble, it does have a point...

So, my son turns a year old tomorrow. We celebrated his birthday with the family yesterday. For several weeks before the event, I knew I had to come up with something semi-creative for the cake...Every so often I would bring it up with myself, but I didn't stress when my mind drew a blank. A few days before the party, I talked with my mom on the phone, and she suggested a boat cake that she had done once for my brother...I told he to go ahead and scan the instructions to send if she had the time. But, I just knew a boat wasn't really what I wanted...Sunday, the day before the party, I still had no idea what I was going to do. I thought maybe I'd just end up having to do a boring sheet cake or something. But I still wasn't too stressed about it; I'd think of something.

And I did. Monday morning, I woke up with an idea! It was brilliant! I knew exactly how I was going to do it, I made the cake, frosted it, and it was ready for the party that evening. Just like that.

So it always seems to be with me. I have an assignment of some sort, I know about it far in advance, I think about it occasionally, but it's almost always down to the wire before I really know for certain how I'm going to do it. But when the idea finally comes, it just comes like that, out of the blue. My Ni never lets me down, and I would do well to remind myself of that in times of doubt.

But this is not very J-ish of me. Isn't a J supposed to want more finality, more surety? Isn't a J supposed to be the type to have their plans all laid out way ahead of time, to finish their assignments early, to be unsettled if everything isn't planned out properly?

But it's different with INFJs, I guess...At least, once we learn to really trust our Ni. We somehow just know that the assignment will get done in time; that the idea we need will come to us, we don't have to stress about actively seeking it out. So we adopt this "go with the flow" attitude that is so characteristic of xxxPs, even though we're really J's who just have learned to relax and rely on Ni to see us through.

What do you fellow INFJs think?

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I think it's all about our intuition with us INFJs. We know that when push comes to shove, we'll know how to pull things together. So despite our J... we know how to "go with the flow" so to speak.

I think our J manifests itself less with planning than with other J's. I'm not 100% on how the system works... but does our J manifest itself as far as beliefs and judging other people's motivations and actions?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
sometimes I get stressed out

so I put my hands together, like for prayer and I go "dude, it's gonna be ok, it's gonna be just fine", I breathe deep then I have a drink of water and get back to work all chilled :cool:

·
Registered
290 Posts
vocalist, that's so funny - I just realized I do the same thing. What btmangan said makes sense, that our intuition kicks in to make us be more laidback when really, we're just adjusting to the ebb and flow of things.

I'm thinking about all the Halloween costumes I put together (the day of, when I just knew a genius idea would kick in, and it always did)... and all the college projects I put off, knowing I would get inspiration at some point and crank it out ten times as quickly...and about the way I go about my work day, letting projects pile up then getting them done very quickly in succession. The Ni in my head is sensing out things and adjusting, and when push comes to shove, my Se puts all the details together and gets things done.

Lookit the function of Se - Extraverted sensing

Se focuses on the experiences and sensations of the immediate, physical world. With an acute awareness of the present surroundings, it brings relevant facts and details to the forefront and may lead to spontaneous action.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
This should be put into an article. I think, for different reasons, that quite a few of the INFPs on this site might really be INFJs...

·
Banned
359 Posts
I did a lot of study on INFJ's and INFJ seems to be low on J.

There are two different reasons why certain psychological orderings could develop J kind of belief.

Some people need help with organizing things, and stuff. So they need the help of plans structures.

While some others have a strong J belief, they hold their dubious principles right no matter whatever. Likely to be
ExTJ's

E,T add cockiness to J

While I, F will have J on a milder tone as a supportive element in their lives.

So ISFJ's and INFJ's will be on a milder J tones. and least stubborn people of J's.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
So ISFJ's and INFJ's will be on a milder J tones. and least stubborn people of J's.
Actually ISFJ's are quite the stereotypical J's in my point of view. I haven't met an ISFJ that isn't critical about ordering their external environment to the extreme. They're the typical neat-freaks and all that jazz that describes the J component.

Though it would be rather interesting to ask ISFJ's about this tendency, I might be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
11,699 Posts
I did a lot of study on INFJ's and INFJ seems to be low on J.

There are two different reasons why certain psychological orderings could develop J kind of belief.

Some people need help with organizing things, and stuff. So they need the help of plans structures.

While some others have a strong J belief, they hold their dubious principles right no matter whatever. Likely to be
ExTJ's

E,T add cockiness to J

While I, F will have J on a milder tone as a supportive element in their lives.

Yes, I agree with you that INFJs seem to be low on J. From my personal experience (I have only met one other INFJ in person), I am an organizer of my outside world. I do organize my thoughts when I'm thinking about something very deep & troublesome. Yet, I do allow oraganzied chaos in different areas in my outside world, as well as, my thoughts. :laughing: I do have a tendancy to try to somewhat organize how I am going to make it through to the future (It is more like I think in a whole picture...if I did this, what will happen & what can I do to try to stop that from happening). I think in a wide view, not the moment. So, the low J must be the culprit of this. LOL Yes, my intuition is the strongest of me being INFJ. It overrides the J with such ease! :happy:

Reactions: vocalist

·
Registered
930 Posts
Well I think I totally mistyped myself over having the 50/50 P/J scored like lot so others have mentionedin recent threads & it threw me off, thinking I might be an INFP, but the more I read about how the functions work the more I think I am an INFJ after all. It can be confusing!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I woke up with an idea! It was brilliant! I knew exactly how I was going to do it, I made the cake, frosted it, and it was ready for the party that evening. Just like that.
Yep, that is exactly how I work. I will have all kinds of things laying around, but somehow I am able to throw it all together at the last minute and it comes out great. I thought I was just lucky alot...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I was pretty low on my J as well..

I plan things in life, its not like "woah this, that ect.
I'm going with the flow, making a few pit stops I guess.

I've lived with ISFJ for a few years every know and then, she is quite the planner - always has the house perfect. We like to support people just an completely different ways. I'm rather lazy when it comes to house work. I spend so much time in my head, the outside world kinda becomes blah but when i've organized my head ect. I will clean up. I just try to enjoy my life and not stress myself out because I already hold a burdened on how people feel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've always done things right at the last moment, and done it well.
I get stressed sometimes, but usually, I know that I'll be able to do it.
Uni has been a bit of a shock to the system in that regard, can't leave a 5000 word research paper to the last moment. :lol:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Like I have said before. the tests are poo!
I wouldn't be surprised if half the tested INFJ's are INFP's and half the tested INFP's are INFJ.

our first fucntion is a percieving function. albiet not one we communicate with.
for INFP's their first fucntion is a judging function. but because there second extroverted funtion is a percieving one they get labeled as percievers...
seriosuly though... I know a whole lot of INFP's with sponteneity issues... it seems like they plan their relationships out.
where INFJ's seem to just follow their gut and go with their internal flow.

key word FLOW!
lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
I often question whether I am a J or a P; I feel like I kind of just flow through life, my brain is very scattered and I am not generally all that organized... or rather it is organized how I feel comfortable but not so much to anyone else. :) I love options, and flexibility, and spontaneity, and I am very comfortable with works-in-progress. However, there are times when a decision has to be made, or something needs to come together or sorted through, and it's like a switch goes off in my head and that J-side kicks in. I read INFJ type descriptions and I know its what fits me most accurately, but I can't help to feel that I am just balanced in between the J and P functions. But maybe that is just typical? Or maybe I am just strange :) I don't know, I don't have any solid reasoning on why this is the case, but from personal experience and observations of others, INFJ's seem to be less J-ish than other J types. : )

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I think we have a J because our feeling function is extroverted.

This tends to manifest itself as having a strong desire to resolve conflict situations. We want harmony in our social environment and will act to achieve that.

The thing with J is that all the descriptions on it you will find are mostly wrong. Strictly speaking, J is when your decision function is extroverted. That's it. It doesn't actually say anything else about you.

·
Registered
473 Posts
This thread is making me feel even more confident that I am INFJ. My J and P functions are also very balanced.

I totally relate to waiting til it's down to the wire to finish a project. I usually ace it too. Sometimes I feel guilty for doing this, as if I'm not putting enough importance on it, or that I'm being cocky and over-confident. But I always work best under pressure (time pressure, not people pressure).

I'm really a go-with-the-flow kind of person. It's hard for me to attend to the daily minutia of life, it's so lack-luster compared to the goings on inside my head. I do feel somewhat more secure and relaxed with at least a loosely structured routine, but I'm definitely not a slave to the clock or a strict schedule.

It seems pretty common for INFx's to experience some confusion about the J/P dichotomy. When I first starting testing and learning about the functions, I had to do a lot of research before I became convinced that I was indeed INFJ.

Reactions: bengalcat

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm really a go-with-the-flow kind of person. It's hard for me to attend to the daily minutia of life, it's so lack-luster compared to the goings on inside my head. I do feel somewhat more secure and relaxed with at least a loosely structured routine, but I'm definitely not a slave to the clock or a strict schedule.
Yeah! Sometimes (ok a lot of the time :) I get so caught up in the stuff going on in my head that nothing else seems all that important or interesting. "I know there's laundry that needs to be folded, but, hmm...I wonder why so-and-so acted the way she did? Maybe she's experiencing stress because of... oh yeah and she told me this happened to her when she was younger, so maybe that's a contributing factor..." and so on and so on. haha : )

But I like what you said, about a loosely structured routine - I like that too, I just don't like for it to be so specific that there's no room for flexibility. I need some structure, just to keep me focused, or else I will just wander aimlessly, happily contented in my daydream world. :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Pardon the preamble, it does have a point...

So, my son turns a year old tomorrow. We celebrated his birthday with the family yesterday. For several weeks before the event, I knew I had to come up with something semi-creative for the cake...Every so often I would bring it up with myself, but I didn't stress when my mind drew a blank. A few days before the party, I talked with my mom on the phone, and she suggested a boat cake that she had done once for my brother...I told he to go ahead and scan the instructions to send if she had the time. But, I just knew a boat wasn't really what I wanted...Sunday, the day before the party, I still had no idea what I was going to do. I thought maybe I'd just end up having to do a boring sheet cake or something. But I still wasn't too stressed about it; I'd think of something.

And I did. Monday morning, I woke up with an idea! It was brilliant! I knew exactly how I was going to do it, I made the cake, frosted it, and it was ready for the party that evening. Just like that.

So it always seems to be with me. I have an assignment of some sort, I know about it far in advance, I think about it occasionally, but it's almost always down to the wire before I really know for certain how I'm going to do it. But when the idea finally comes, it just comes like that, out of the blue. My Ni never lets me down, and I would do well to remind myself of that in times of doubt.

But this is not very J-ish of me. Isn't a J supposed to want more finality, more surety? Isn't a J supposed to be the type to have their plans all laid out way ahead of time, to finish their assignments early, to be unsettled if everything isn't planned out properly?

But it's different with INFJs, I guess...At least, once we learn to really trust our Ni. We somehow just know that the assignment will get done in time; that the idea we need will come to us, we don't have to stress about actively seeking it out. So we adopt this "go with the flow" attitude that is so characteristic of xxxPs, even though we're really J's who just have learned to relax and rely on Ni to see us through.

I believe this can be "very INFJ" at times. Your sons mean alot to you and that makes the decision important. Time is necessary in these cases for the INFJ. ( If you still didn't have a cake (or) started yelling at everyone about it... then, I would wonder. But, this didn't happen. So, yeah... pretty normal to me. )

- With the INFJ, it does not matter how long it takes; they just don't stop until it is done. (They still see it through) That is the "J" thing.

- The "P" thing would be okay with something not being done... at all. (And it works quite well for them that way because they usually have an alternative.)

·
Registered
473 Posts
The "P" thing would be okay with something not being done... at all. (And it works quite well for them that way because they usually have an alternative.)
My husband is ESFP and he is truly okay with something not getting done....at all. And he doesn't always have an alternative. :confused:

Reactions: water
1 - 20 of 22 Posts