Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon introspection recently i've noticed something strange. i'm revising for a Physics A2 exam in june at the moment, and in order to focus and get into the right mindset to understand it i sort of enter a very logical "zone". what's curious is that this changes my whole personality to the point that if the two were in different bodies facing each other across a room they would be almost two different people.

You could notice if you wished that i tend to come on here and have random philosophical debates i would normally not bother with, and analyze things very logically, where normally i am very easy going and conflict-free. I begin to keenly observe statistics where before they are a passing interest.
Some statistics on world class players and what it takes to make it. - The Kop Blog post - Liverpool FC
this is a blog with a huge amount of statistics and logical analysis of football (the blog is about liverpool if you are a football fan :) ) now i KNOW this is not the sort of thing i'm normally good doing.

Probably i'm not the same easy person interacting with people though- i notice my language gets geeky (for lack of a better word) and mirrors NTs. My empathy is literally reduced, and my morals less of a concern. It's enormously beneficial and helpful to be like this while focusing on physics but the effect is slightly unsettling nonetheless.

I think we touched on this once before and the ideas seemed to revolve around the tertiary function and stress effects. What do you think? I'm curious to think how it might be linked to stress, or whether it's the effect of giving Te more focus than normal, or whether other factors might come into it.

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
I'm in this "zone" probably 85% of the time at least. When dealing with other people or the outside word I would probably rarely present as an ENFP. I'd present as more of a ENTP. I still use Ne alot, but Te, Ti, Ni, kick in depending on the situation and I can bury my own personal feelings about something and become much more logical than I naturally am. I can focus on objectivity, I can see the patterns, I can present the information in a very structured manner etc. I can focus really hard and bust some really good shit out when Im more motivated to do so. Some times Im just not in the mood for a debate, or theory (though rare) and would prefer to be playful and tease some. I think of it like a scale. Im usually balanced but under certain circumstances, and in certain moods, I can shift from one side to the other.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
I stick to the camp that believes that ENFPs take on the traits of ISTJs under stress -- except in a really negative way. Tiny little things pissing us off, caught up on details that don't matter and missing the big picture, stubborn, critical, etc.

Of course, a little bit of stress can be a good thing. Channeling some of the above characteristics -- but not going overboard -- can be useful.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
I can tap into any state of mind I need to. It's about focusing and becoming whatever I need to become in order to perform in a satisfactory manner. I almost take on different personalities if you will... Alter egos of sorts. Sometimes, I forget who the real me :O It's so easy to get lost in the world of alter egos. They're part of me, and a major reason as to why I'm so inconsistent, too. It's a blessing and a curse.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Can this happen with INFPs too? I also feel like I can go into "logic-mode" sometimes (or even a lot of the time).

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I most certainly can relate. I can't say that it's stress related for me, although when stressed, I tend to be this way during fun, silly situations moreso than usual.

I wonder if it has something to do with the amount of exposure to NT's/ST's and vice versa? Perhaps NT's /ST's with more exposure to NF's/SF's are more playful and soft? Idk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts