Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to figure out my MBTI a lot, and I think I've narrowed it down a lot, but there's still some doubt, so I thought I'd see what people would type me as based on how I learn/write/get things done.

Learning: I'm a visual learner. I prefer to learn from the basic college powerpoint lectures where concepts are presented and then elaborated on in bullet points below. I like when professors verbally elaborate beyond their slides, but if they throw down too much information I get a bit stressed out because I want to write it all down so I can remember it and there may not be enough time. And from there I basically like to memorize the concepts, and see how they all fit together. A couple hours of studying and I'm good for a test, and sometimes I can remember what my notes looked like on the page, which can jog my memory in a test situation. My long term memory for facts (one's learned in school at least) can be poor -- I'll generally remember the general concept/take away point with 1 or 2 facts to support it, unless the topic itself is crazy specific like Chemistry.

I like the Humanities, but can have difficulty explaining the concepts I learn to people, even though I find them interesting and think that I understand them. I think I'm best at hard sciences, though I may like the arts most.

Writing: I really don't like writing papers. It's always been my weakest academic skill (my strongest probably being math). With problem sets, or studying, you simply figure out each problem, understand/remember each concept bit by bit making steady progress, but with a paper, you have to get everything all worked out first -- your idea, your essay structure, your examples...and then you still have to write the whole thing. (I know some people who can write in a more laid back way, and I don't get it). I tend to do my outline/brainstorming one day, and then write the whole thing the next day, a day or two before it's due. (Sometimes I'll find the quotes I need as I go, as long as I know they're out there). It may just boil down to me being bad with words -- I have a decent vocabulary, but can't seem to access it very well on the spot.

General Functioning/Other: I have trouble being on time for things, I like to save up a large chunk of my work for one or two days of the week, so I have more days free/open. I think I need external structures to function best, but I generally like to do things at my own pace. I have some trouble keeping on top of practical matters, but I do get them done. (Sorry, that's vague I know). I do like to do lists, but generally only complete the top things on them. With cooking I need to follow a recipe if it's anything beyond "chicken with herbs", and if the recipe requires cooking multiple things at once, I run into trouble with coordinating it all without burning things...

What do you think? Do I fit a type?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't know if you're still active on the forum, but my intuition says you are likely an INTP.
However, personality types are not a one-size fits all descriptor as many people seem to think.

People can learn in different ways regardless of type, but generally you sound like an INTP because of your love of knowledge (especially sciences), focus on concepts rather than specific facts in the long-term, and difficulty communicating exactly what you mean with words. You might score close on P and J, and it might change depending on the circumstances since you seem to plan your projects. Though, you say you have trouble being on time, following your plans, and keeping up with practical matters, which are stereotypically INTP things.

I'm not an expert on diagnosing types, so this is just a musing since more information would be required for further accuracy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts