Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was randomly taking the Jung-MBTI test and I got:

Extroverted (E) 51.61% Introverted (I) 48.39%
Intuitive (N) 51.28% Sensing (S) 48.72%
Thinking (T) 58.54% Feeling (F) 41.46%
Perceiving (P) 66.67% Judging (J) 33.33%

I'm crushed because my precious I which I thought was set in stone disappeared. D: It might just be me being more social in school though.

The strange thing is that the percentages are all really close, so maybe I'm just one of those people who fluctuate between types, except for P, which is my faithful anchor.

I'll take it again when I finish another practice paper >.<

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You are confusing the test result with your actual type, and your MBTI type with your personality. And it wasn't really the MBTI test either—you can't just take it randomly—what you did find was some free online knockoff. One shouldn't put too much weight in the odd test result.

Your scores (which by the way are normally confidence, and not degree) are so near 50/50 that I'd suggest you read up on cognitive functions to understand the difference between the types. The ENTP and INTP are not that different really, but INTP and INFP are totally different creatures, so just one letter is not always just one letter; it's about the system.

Or you could just post whatever you were already thinking of... :happy:

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your scores (which by the way are normally confidence, and not degree) are so near 50/50 that I'd suggest you read up on cognitive functions to understand the difference between the types. The ENTP and INTP are not that different really, but INTP and INFP are totally different creatures, so just one letter is not always just one letter; it's about the system.

Or you could just post whatever you were already thinking of... :happy:
Bolded part was exactly the kind of response I was hoping to get, since it was kinda strange that everything is 50/50.

Speaking of the tests, does the one in the bar at the top of the page count? Since that one kept classing me as ISTP a week ago, but I took it like yesterday and it classed me back as INTP. :/ Granted I was more focused yesterday since I was studying before that and I was pretty much on the ball teaching my juniors Computer Science while taking the test (long story :p).

I still expect my type to be INTP, thanks to that MBTI test that my school forced everyone to take (and they paid good money too). I thought it was an attempt to pidgeonhole all of us into classes with similar people/mixing the more compatible types together, but the only thing that came out of it was that we appreciated ourselves better, so I'm sticking with it (obviously I answered honestly), though it was years ago and I might just have evolved. :blushed:

@ starri: FUKKEN SAVED. For when my rendition of that laugh can't reach the intended target/I have a sore throat. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Bolded part was exactly the kind of response I was hoping to get, since it was kinda strange that everything is 50/50.

Speaking of the tests, does the one in the bar at the top of the page count? Since that one kept classing me as ISTP a week ago, but I took it like yesterday and it classed me back as INTP. :/ Granted I was more focused yesterday since I was studying before that and I was pretty much on the ball teaching my juniors Computer Science while taking the test (long story :p).

I still expect my type to be INTP, thanks to that MBTI test that my school forced everyone to take (and they paid good money too). I thought it was an attempt to pidgeonhole all of us into classes with similar people/mixing the more compatible types together, but the only thing that came out of it was that we appreciated ourselves better, so I'm sticking with it (obviously I answered honestly), though it was years ago and I might just have evolved. :blushed:
When you did the MBTI test in school, was the test properly followed up with a best fit consultation? The accuracy of the test is very low, even for the real thing. This is because the test can only report what you put in describing behaviour and preferences. Therefore, it only captures the conscious part of your personality and is also clearly affected by your learned behaviour and values. So the test in itself is only the first step in finding your type. (This goes for the test at this site too, obviously.) :happy:

If your true type was INTP when you tested in school, then it still is. Type does not change. What changes is how you experience and express your type, as you grow older and develop more self-awareness and more functional skills of different sorts.

So what I would recommend you doing, is listing all the types that you have tested and how many times and in which situations, and that would be a good starting point for looking at type descriptions. I normally refer to The Personality Page for that. Find out which you relate to the most, and which not, and note why. :happy:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Lets just say people are not always the best judges of themselves. So when you are answering question on a test like this are you sure your answers and the best and most accurate representation of you how you really are? :p

Best way to determine you type is to read about cognitive functions, correlate them to the way that you normally think/feel, and also read through several profiles of personalities that you think might fit you and find one that fits the best.

Places to start:
Intro to function theory: personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/24032-intro-function-theory-more-detailed-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html
ENFP Wiki
MBTI characteristics & 16 Personality Types
Function Attitude
Personality Types - ENFP
ENFP - Jung Type Descriptions

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is considered as follow-up for the test? Basically when we got our results it came bundled with a fair few sheets of paper about how that MBTI type acted in general and listed suitable professions. I suppose all of us took the test at face-value, even the teachers. :x

I suppose heavy research is in order about this. :D

Also useful links are useful. Thanks!

Reactions: vel

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
What is considered as follow-up for the test? Basically when we got our results it came bundled with a fair few sheets of paper about how that MBTI type acted in general and listed suitable professions. I suppose all of us took the test at face-value, even the teachers. :x

I suppose heavy research is in order about this. :D

Also useful links are useful. Thanks!
That's kind of what I expected. Unfortunately...

From what I've heard the test in itself has about 60% accuracy, which is OK considering we are talking about 16 types, and taken into account all the inevitable problems with that kind of testing. But, clearly, that is not enough for the test results to be accepted without further work. I'm not trained in this, but what I understand as the proper procedure is a consultation were several type descriptions are read in order to establish which type seems to be the best fit. There might still, even after this, be some uncertainty, and in that case, further introspection and observation could be neccesary. Hanging around on these forums is a great way to compare yourself to other people of different types, so just being around here and interacting, is a great follow up in itself. If you do several different tests and several times, you would probably get a list of different types. Start by checking out type descriptions of all the types you think could be a possibility. If you want to go further, check out vel's links about cognitive functions, which is really where the action is.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it normal to feel like your response to a question in the quizzes could go either way? I keep feeling trapped especially on those questions that force me to choose if I prefer to mingle with only the people I know or with everyone at a party. I generally spend the first twenty minutes or so running around and looking for everyone I know as well as making new friends, before going back to the people I enjoy being with and stick there. But it also depends on my energy level as well, since if I go berserk I just run around the party all night long, and if I feel horrible I just keep to one corner.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Is it normal to feel like your response to a question in the quizzes could go either way? I keep feeling trapped especially on those questions that force me to choose if I prefer to mingle with only the people I know or with everyone at a party. I generally spend the first twenty minutes or so running around and looking for everyone I know as well as making new friends, before going back to the people I enjoy being with and stick there. But it also depends on my energy level as well, since if I go berserk I just run around the party all night long, and if I feel horrible I just keep to one corner.
Yeah, those questions are really only completely comfortable if you are on the extreme side of every question. But choosing what is closest is generally enough to still get a reasonable test result, the other caveats aside... And, yes, practially everyone would behave differently depending on their mood and everything. That's really why those tests aren't very precise. The best way to answer is to try to make some kind of generalization of what is your "standard" behaviour, i.e. when you are neither more outgoing nor more reserved than usual. So try to think of a number of situations, and find the common denominator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts