Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MBTI and Socionics are (1) sophisticated and interesting enough to be taken seriously by many people, but (2) just ambiguous and contradictory enough to remain inconclusive.

My worry is that the two qualities mentioned above, when combined, create a very addictive drug - give people just enough hope to understand themselves, but never really entirely quenching their thirst. It flirts with you like a coquette, yet entirely at your own expense. Those whose mental comfort is especially dependant on closure of topics and problems (J types perhaps) will end up getting robbed of their mental energy and time, stressing over the same topic again, and again, and again.

There's disagreements on whether dichotomy or functions are more accurate in identifying type. There's disagreements on how Introversion and Extraversion manifests itself in the real world. There's disagreements about how F (in comparison to T) behaves in introverted types, and there's likewise some ambiguity in the J/P dichotomy. There's function axis, deemed helpful by some and fallacious by others. And the story just never ends...

At this point I'm starting to feel like MBTI is robbing me of my life, but I can't exit the loop. Is this how junkies really feel?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yeah, I feel you. It's a never-ending cycle of doubt and seeking closure within something that is nothing more than theory, pointless to stress over or concern yourself with. We know this, yet we still get consumed and swirl within this tumultuous tornado.

"Those whose mental comfort is especially dependant on closure of topics and problems (J types perhaps) will end up getting robbed of their mental energy and time, stressing over the same topic again, and again, and again." I'm not sure if that's a definitive J type characterstic, because I doubt I'm a J type (I guess it's possible) and I do this, as does my bud, @Enoch, another probable P type.

The theory itself is fascinating, searching amidst the unknown and seeking answers around something as nebulous as the brain's true power and dynamics. I believe there is so much more within each type, subtypes of types, variations of cognitive functions, blending of dichotomies. Obviously all speculation and theory within theory, but it's the reason many of us are drawn to MBTI in the first place, pushing the boundaries and expanding on the theory.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is me currently. None of the functions 100% fit me, and I find a way to constantly doubt my type. I also think this isn't a great place for people with self esteem issues and mental health issues...we don't approach MBTI the correct way. Healthier people use it out of a vague interest to perhaps "understand themselves better", but I've been using it as a way to define who I am completely, as a religion almost- a way to guide my life, what I should be doing, what type of person I am, etc. I think people like me really need to temporarily abandon ship and get a more consistent way of life and more confidence in ourselves before we can even begin to think about typing ourselves...

·
Registered
648 Posts
couldn’t have said it any better..

There’s so much debate and disparity on each dichotomy and function that’s it’s hard to truly come to a definitive ending, which hurts even more when you seek closure the most.

·
Registered
436 Posts
As with anything in life, too much is never a good thing. I think the fact that there's so much room for interpretation in the field lends itself to people feeling they're "experts" in it after spending enough time with it. This, in turn, leads people who are trying to get into it getting broadsided with faulty information, which then only makes things worse when that misinfo gets fed back into the loop. Burnout not only becomes inevitable, but completely understandable.

At the end of the day, if something is causing you more stress than relief, then it's probably best to step away from it for a while. But that's just my opinion.

Reactions: Knave

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Heh. Guess my need for closure must be very impatient since I stopped pursuing any understanding of these models the moment I found my type. That's all I needed. Now I just use mbti as a social aid because I'm autistic.

When you pursue other models (not necessarily about personalities) that actually meet the scientific standards, and observe the clarity and precision of those models, you start using the emotions they inspire in you as a standard for every model you come across. You start wishing mbti to touch that level of clarity too, and when it fails to live up, you move on.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yea, I am the same with Stawker. I collected enough information to understand myself and the differences in each type. MBTI gives enough structure for categorizing people and how to adjust language and behaviors around them. After I figured that out, I didn't really spend too much time nitpicking--I'm not very good with details anyway.

The issue I had with some people who are interested in mbti though, is that rather than using it to understand themselves and others, some use it to reinforce the stereotypes. Then they start self-pitying. meh.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,602 Posts
I can understand what you mean. I love MBTI and obsess over it but sometimes, I wonder if doing so, if I project the type qualities into who I am/who other people around me more. I wouldn't want it to have a negative influence on my life. It makes me feel relief relating to other people of my type but sometimes I wonder if on some subconscious level, if I'm trying to fit myself into a box and am wrong about it. It can be discouraging when people who are not that into it call it "fake" or "inaccurate." Sometimes I question my type and see myself fitting into multiple types. It is a complicated thing to define and easy to overthink once you obsess over it.

Reactions: The Pikabot

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I am never 100% sure about my type. I start to wonder from time to time; when I express Fi, is that an INTJ's Fi or an INFP's Fi? I got officially typed as part of work and I came out as INTJ again, which helps a little bit, but this all is just vague enough to prevent me from ever being too sure.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
Cognitive typology™ makes many inexplicit claims to find it interesting [beyond] surface-value correlations to apply it consistently in real life scenarios.

For instance, at work, I simply have no time to 'type' my colleagues; I do not care if Susie is an ISFJ ™ or Johnny is an ENTP™ or Socionics type LSI or LIE, nor do I have time to [critique] my communicative execution to fit comfortably among 16 distinct personality types—there are more practical method(s) of human psychology that have demonstrated more [effective / efficient], in certain localities instead of such typology like breaking down a character analysis to determine a Socionics type / MBTI-structure and everyone's Holy Enneagram Chakras to protect against uniquely attributed communicative sensitives.

What I am ultimately paying attention to which is simply not limited to work-environments; but informal environment(s) as well ::

Susie's and Johnny's work ethic and/or intelligence levels;

Can they do the work;

Can they understand, perform and fulfill the tasks and/or sufficiently contribute to [whatever it is, either personal or impersonal] at hand.

Are we doing this or not?
That is all.

While I can certainly see the utility of typology, and [as such], it would be suffiicently useful as well, it is simply intellectually uninteresting (&) impractical outside of pragmatic shorthands for interpersonal relationships. Indeed, even then, my brain simply fixated on other thing(s) than the 'type' of another humanoid when out with an associate.

I have tried forcing 'typology' on randomized specimen(s); such as pausing in [mid-conversation exchange] &, asking a new associate, "What's your MBTI type?" but it felt relatively unnatural + forced; in a sense, I really could not discern why it was even necessary to stop & break this down, let alone why it was relevant know in the first place -- although, it is always nice coming across a specimen that is coincidentally [familiar] with typology by their own discretion.

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
3,766 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts