Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Copied the idea from the ENFP forum because I thought it was interesting. See how many of these you relate to.

1. INFJs hate other people.
INFJs hate fake people, people they feel they have to compete with, people who disrespect other people, people who are self-centered, etc. However, if you are genuine, mature, and kind person, we love you!!!

2. INFJs are anti-social.
INFJs hate small talk. We would rather not say anything than engage in small talk. If you get us on meaningful, deep conversations, we can talk for a long time. Also, it takes us a long time to trust someone. If you get into our inner circle, we can talk your head off!!

3. INFJs are boring.
At first glance, they might appear boring because they are not the most social or flirty person. However, the more you get to know them, the more you realize your life isn't that fulfilling without them. I have found that other types, even though they might appear more fascinating at first, people tend to get tired of them fairly quickly. People tend to not get tired of the INFJ unless they happen to be really depressed or moody a lot.

4. INFJs don't need friends, relationships, etc.
Even though INFJs may appear very independent, we still enjoy hanging out with people we like and enjoy many activities with friends like any other type. We are really hurt when people talk about what they plan to do with their friends this weekend and not even ask if we have plans and would like to come with them.

5. INFJs have everything figured out.
Totally inaccurate. We may act like we have it all figured out because we are planners, but we just act that way because we feel people expect us to have it all figured out.

6. INFJs have very high expectations of themselves.
INFJs feel more pressure from outside sources than themselves. They strive to get good grades to impress their teachers more than they expect it out of themselves for example.

7. INFJs are perfect.
Absolutely not. I have always hated how I was put on a pedestal. I felt I could never mess up. It drove me to insane at times because I strived to be something I could never become.

8. INFJs don't care what others think.
Being genuine is important to us so sometimes we do things that are unpopular because we refuse to believe or be something we are not but actually we care too much what others think. We tend to think twice about what we say or do because we don't want to hurt other people's feelings.

9. INFJs are competitive.
INFJs are high achievers. They strive to become a better person, try to learn new things, and continue to grow but they hate competing with others. They like to measure their success by internal factors.

10. INFJs don't have feelings.
INFJs are very sensitive. We don't like to show our emotions in front of people, but alone or in front of people we trust we show our anger and tears.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lol that's so funny! But so true.

1. I don't hate anyone, I dislike some people, and respect some. But the reasons are true though..the not liking self-centered, fake people.
2. Sadly...it's true for me. Im not proud of it just sometimes I'd rather be by mahself.
3. Hell no, If reading, writing, and thinking are considered boring then I fear the world has reached it's peak of intellect.
4. Yes and no, sometimes im better off alone other times I like to help friends out.
5. Not really, I mean I know what socks im going to wear in the morning but, what happens after that is completely out of my hands.
6. Yes, I agree I expect alot outta myself.
7. Nope, I have countless annoying qualities about myself. Staring at people is one of them.
8. If it's irrelevant than yes. Otherwise objective critizism is always welcome.
9. YES. I am a sore loser and sorer winner. <<<just me though
10. I've got so much feelings, I avoid killing insects because it hurts my conscience...

Lol it's always healthy to be able to laugh at yourself.

Untill 4 months ago...I thought people actually said "lol" in the form of "Lawl". Then my buddy told me lol was an abbreviation for laugh out loud..and no one actually said "lol" out loud. Not my best moment, but I'm still learning. =)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Many of these seem to apply to I's in general. A buddy of mine at work is an ISFP and many of these apply to him as well.

That said, I agree with these. Though I particularly hate being called anti-social because I spend my weekends in solitude. The folks I work with though always an extend open invitation to parties, but I feel guilty sometimes not taking them.

As far as 10 goes, too many people rely on me. Even around friends and family, I seldom show emotions because I fear it may demoralize them. I hate people worrying about me. Though I will say, I confide a lot in my friend.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Copied the idea from the ENFP forum because I thought it was interesting. See how many of these you relate to.

1. INFJs hate other people: I must admit there are some people I hate but I will always choose to be civil with them unless they decide to be immature and act otherwise.

INFJs hate small talk. We would rather not say anything than engage in small talk. If you get us on meaningful, deep conversations, we can talk for a long time. Also, it takes us a long time to trust someone. If you get into our inner circle, we can talk your head off!!
This is totally true. Small-talk drains me and I'm not very good at assimilating into those kinds of conversations.
3. INFJs are boring.
At first glance, they might appear boring because they are not the most social or flirty person. However, the more you get to know them, the more you realize your life isn't that fulfilling without them. I have found that other types, even though they might appear more fascinating at first, people tend to get tired of them fairly quickly. People tend to not get tired of the INFJ unless they happen to be really depressed or moody a lot.
I have to say this description is usually true for me. It may not be that people find me initially boring exactly but maybe cold. This all really depends on the person though. I've met people who find me fascinating/interesting right away it just depends on how quick they're willing to get to know who I really am. If you start off with small talk then I'll probably seem bland as shit.

Even though INFJs may appear very independent, we still enjoy hanging out with people we like and enjoy many activities with friends like any other type. We are really hurt when people talk about what they plan to do with their friends this weekend and not even ask if we have plans and would like to come with them.
I guess I don't need friends but I'm very invested in romantic relationships and hate being single with that "forever alone" feeling. I can sit alone for a whole week instead of going out with friends though. I like feeling wanted and affirmed that I'm a friend people want to be around but I don't often feel like I have to be with people or go out somewhere.

Totally inaccurate. We may act like we have it all figured out because we are planners, but we just act that way because we feel people expect us to have it all figured out.
Exactly, people expect us to have everything figured out. I'm not a know at all and I definitely have a lot to learn. I will never have it all figured out. If I did I wouldn't have anxiety.

INFJs feel more pressure from outside sources than themselves. They strive to get good grades to impress their teachers more than they expect it out of themselves for example.
I have high expectations of myself but I'm lazy. For me it's more about proving to others that I'm great at everything I do.

7. INFJs are perfect.
Absolutely not. I have always hated how I was put on a pedestal. I felt I could never mess up. It drove me to insane at times because I strived to be something I could never become.
Anyone who has ever believed this eventually realized they were very wrong.

Being genuine is important to us so sometimes we do things that are unpopular because we refuse to believe or be something we are not but actually we care too much what others think. We tend to think twice about what we say or do because we don't want to hurt other people's feelings.
I'll be the first to admit I care what other's think when it comes to my academic record and my achievements. I care if people think I'm intelligent and open minded. I like criticism because it helps me improve myself. There are many things though that I could care less about socially. Most of what makes me different or stand out stems from the fact I don't care what other's think.

INFJs are high achievers. They strive to become a better person, try to learn new things, and continue to grow but they hate competing with others. They like to measure their success by internal factors.

INFJs are very sensitive. We don't like to show our emotions in front of people, but alone or in front of people we trust we show our anger and tears.
Can someone else come in here and explain why people think INFJs don't have feelings? Someone told me this last week and it bewildered me because I think I can be very emotional and have an extremely high emotional IQ.
Blah...........

Reactions: nkpatch

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Interesting...

I don't hate people, just their behaviors and if their behaviors match then it's difficult for me to like that person. The only exception is that if somebody is immature for reasons of humor, without hurting others of course, then it's fine.

I am. Most people only talk small talk and it's difficult. Either that, or they talk about their job/what happened in school and it's difficult because I don't do much and if I even had a job I wouldn't want to talk about it with other people because they'd be bored. I have talked people's heads off before, though, and most of those people now refuse to talk to me for more than 15 minutes and refuse to text me.

3. INFJs are boring.
I don't do much besides think and walk around so I'm boring. Of course I sometimes do stupid little things for shits and giggles, but people only focus on that about me without being interested in who I am/my feelings so that kind of leaves me feeling depressed.

I could say I don't need anybody, but then I know I might reach a state of insanity and take myself out. I've gone there before. It also hurts when people invite a friend that I'm close to by text without inviting me or refusing to invite me because they're mad at me and don't feel like resolving the issue. As for a relationship, I lost the stress to feel the need to get in one but feeling loved would also be nice.

We seem to have it all figured out but we don't, and some of us are anxious about going out and doing something to know if we have it all figured out or if we simply misunderstood things. What's worse is when you have most of the major issues with people/the world figured out and nobody wants to make anything better, creating a loophole of suffering.

I expect great things out of myself yet never get to any of it either because other people say it's impossible/it's pointless or because of that little voice in the back of my head that makes me doubt everything that has to do with myself.

7. INFJs are perfect.
Nope. I was intelligent and showed it, but I didn't like being put up on a pedestal because people were already treating me different (and not in the good way).

Sometimes we do because we're empathetic towards somebody or because we want an input from somebody else. Besides that, the only times where we don't care what others think is when we decide to be factual and when we take things into a more logical perspective.

I am not much of a competative person simply because I'm selfless enough to give others a shot at being 'the best'. Either that, or I become anxious about failing with something and refuse to participate.

I specifically hide my feelings from other people because they either
-can't handle what I say and label me as depressing
-completely ignore me
-completely misunderstand and refuse to listen to the explanation of why I feel that way
hence people don't care about my feelings so I refuse to share them.

Now I feel sad so I'm going to continue lurking to either vent or find a happy thread.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I agree with a lot of these.
However, I am a very competitive person, so I wouldn't consider that a myth (at least not in my case).
I may be slightly ashamed to admit this, but I'm too proud of a person to humbly stand by and let someone else become much better than me at something. I don't want to be a shadow. I'm going to work hard at something until I can be the best at it.
So yeah, I'm competitive; I want to win.

Although when I am the best at something, I'm not going to rub it in anyone's face. I don't want people to feel bad about themselves, so even though I am competitive it isn't for the reason of beating people. It's for gaining respect I guess. I also want to feel good about myself, and I'm not going to be a happy person when I'm constantly coming in second.
Maybe that's just me though...

·
Registered
386 Posts
This is the only item from the list that I've ever attributed to INFJ's.

Well, maybe number 7, but not in the sense of the word that an INFJ uses. :D

I kind of feel they have this near-perfect balance of spiritual insight and logical thinking, and I find it endlessly exciting to read INFJ posts. But that's probably specific to me, I doubt everyone gets as stoked about the discussions and debates over here as I do. So, I suppose I'd describe it as the machinery of their mind has one very efficient component, that I think I'm unlikely to ever see improvement on. Is this offensive/typist?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with all of these... though, I tend to be competitive whenever I am in a competitive group. For example, I can play cards with my family (a very cut-throat and competitive group) and want nothing more than to win so I can join in the playful banter/teasing, but when I am in a group of friends who tend to not feel competitive, I just play to have fun with everyone and stop caring who wins at all.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've gotten this plenty of times, mostly by extroverts.
Eh. No, I think exclusively by extroverts... :p But more specifically Fe-doms and Se-doms, it seems. The types who are pretty good at small talk and don't really like to talk at the depth I'm comfortable in.

3. INFJs are boring.
The same people who think I'm anti-social are usually the ones who think I'm boring.
It's usually stemmed from the fact that I am so uncomfortable that I clam up and don't show my personality whatsoever.
I understand...no personality is boring.
If I showed them who I really am, they'd know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am not in the least bit boring.
If anything, I'm too much excitement sometimes... ;)

I'm not sure where this comes from. It's so incredibly false.
Not many people have thought this about me, but the ones that have haven't understood me very well.
For instance, my INFP mother, who thinks I am a hard-core, bull-headed, no-nonsense type...never had much luck convincing her that I'm indeed quite the pushover. (Just not compared to her)

The ones who think I don't care what others think are the ones that think I'm competitive, too.
It's all part of that side of the misconception.
The funny part is that, when in the company of truly competitive people, I'm perceived as extremely passive and apathetic.
*facepalm*

This misconception, like you said, has come from me not being willing to be emotionally vulnerable in front of people I don't trust.
Those who know me well know I'm an emotional roller coaster at times!
But if I'm uncomfortable or guarded, you can bet I'll be cold as stone. And silent. Incredibly, painfully silent.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Pretty sure #7 is a fact, not a myth. :wink:

(I kid, I kid. Mostly.)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
This is the only item from the list that I've ever attributed to INFJ's.

Well, maybe number 7, but not in the sense of the word that an INFJ uses. :D

I kind of feel they have this near-perfect balance of spiritual insight and logical thinking, and I find it endlessly exciting to read INFJ posts. But that's probably specific to me, I doubt everyone gets as stoked about the discussions and debates over here as I do. So, I suppose I'd describe it as the machinery of their mind has one very efficient component, that I think I'm unlikely to ever see improvement on. Is this offensive/typist?
I get stoked as well. The INFJ forum is interesting.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
I'm actually quite competitive if it's an area I'm proud of, or I think I can win (without hurting the feelings of the other side).

All the rest seem pretty accurate.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I don't hate anyone, but there are certain people that "sketch me out" or people that give me a weird feeling where I feel I'm not able to trust them or we couldn't have a healthy friendship. I'm still civil to them, just not really friendly.

Yessss, I hate small talk! I don't mind hearing it sometimes, I'm just not good at making small talk myself, which makes me look anti-social.

3. INFJs are boring.
I think it's funny when people assume I'm boring. ...

The same people that assume I'm boring are usually the ones who assume I have no friends. Maybe because they don't see me out at parties all the time and that's all they like to do. They'll think/ask "What have you been up to? Sitting at your house alone?" I've even had people try to "rescue" me from my sad, lonely life by coming to pick me up and go out. hahahha. I find it funny. I do stuff and hang out with people. I just don't feel the need to announce everything I do to the whole world. I have a lot of friends that also don't know each other so I don't talk about them to each other. They then all assume they must be my only friend or something.

Not at all.

I actually do have high standards for myself at certain times that come from inside...I wish the outside world would have these same standards for me. But then I usually realize that I am being ridiculous.

7. INFJs are perfect.
No. I kinda resent being called perfect also. I know it's just honestly untrue.

I try not to hurt people. I won't change the beliefs because they might be offensive to others. But I will really bite my tongue and try to avoid conflict when I know someone would be upset by me... most of the time, that is.

I guess people sometimes think I am because I am a bit of a perfectionist. But I compete with myself. I don't like creating conflict with others.

I've gotten this one quite a lot. Sometimes I think I feel too much to properly express it, so I end up looking like I don't care at all?

·
Registered
101 Posts
5,6 & 7 all run together (5. INFJs have everything figured out. 6. INFJs have very high expectations of themselves. 7. INFJs are perfect.)
Who has everything figured out? To me this leads right into #7, who is perfect what person and/or process can't be improved upon? That leads right back around to #6 If I can improve myself, I feel compelled to.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts

7. INFJs are perfect.

I have gotten these from some people close to me... but didn't understand my thought processes. It couldn't be farther from the truth and I consider my #1 thing is my open mindedness, this might appear as if I'm not open minded b/c I have answers to a lot of things which strikes some people off guard, but in reality, I have just done a lot of thinking on a broad range of subjects.
Some people take "trying to excel" at things as being "perfect" ... it couldn't be farther from the truth. What should I do, just not care? I hate people who try to look down on you if you are smart/talented/etc. Like you should be living their life or something? It's usually a way of them trying to reconcile their own problems.
I had somebody before who would WANT me to get bad grades in class. I'm just thinking, why would they want this on me... If I can get an A, shouldn't I try to get an A? Why is it my problem? I can do good without COMPETING with you. I am not very competitive actually, only with myself... other people take this as a slight on THEM sometimes, when in reality it has absolutely nothing to do with them.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I actually don't hate any body, and I'm not sure anybody I know thinks I do either. The people who make me angry, or who I dislike, always end up showing some quality that makes it impossible for me to truly hate them.

This. All the time. My biggest battle is fighting this view. At every time in my life there's always been people that tell me somebody else thinks I come off as anti-social, high and mighty, like I think I'm better than them or something. I suppose it's because I do have such difficulty talking in front of anybody I don't know. That said, when I tell this to my good friends or my family, they look at me like I'm crazy, and say, " where did you get an idea like that???"

3. INFJs are boring.
Honestly, I don't know whether this is true about my self. Sometimes I feel like it is, but I know many INFJs (apparently they gravitate toward art schools), and I know one who is quite boring, and several who are very intrigueing and interesting to be around. I suppose its one of those things that varies. I wonder which one I am?

I can make my way in life without those things, yes, but I get soooo depressed and hard on myself. The only logical reason I can come up with as to why I wouldn't have friends or relationships, is because there must be something wrong with me. I quickly do something to change the situation when I hit rough spots like that.

I think the stereotype more often goes INFJs don't have everything figured out, and I am constantly trying to convince people that I have SOME things figured out, because too often people end up thinking it is impossible for me to have anything figured out. -_- It gets really frustrated, trying to convince people that I'm actually capable of things. It also frustrates me that most people don't seem to desire understanding, like I do.

INFJs feel more pressure from outside sources than themselves. They strive to get good grades to impress their teachers more than they expect it out of themselves for example. Hmmmm, this was true all through elementary, middle, and highschool. Now that I'm in college, I only want the grade for the scholarship, so that I can stay here. I wonder if that's because I don't really know my teachers, and they don't really know me, so I end up not caring about doing well for my teachers, like I used to. The not caring is so bad though, because I still care, just AFTER i get the bad grades. It really feeds my low self esteem which just makes me try harder to be apathetic about it, because caring about how bad i did is too painful.

7. INFJs are perfect.
This is what ruined my last relationship. He didn't really know me, and put me up on such a high pedastal, that I was scared to move because when I looked down from the ledge, it was such a lonnnngg way to fall. I suppose it was all my fault, really, because when I try to please people, I let go of things that are for me, which ends up meaning that the people I'm trying to please don't really see me, and then I just get really frustrated and self-hating. Such a bad circle to be in

I care wayyyyyyyyyy too much about what other people think of me. way, way too much, and when I try to fix this some, I end up coming off kind of heartless because of my sheer stubbornness in trying to care less. Perhaps I overcompensate?

I like winning, I will admit, but I don't mind losing. It's nice finding other people who can take losing, cause then I don't end up feeling guilty about winning a lot. Mainly, I do think it stems from the internal desire for improvement. Competing with others is simply a way to measure my own improvement. It's not because I want to be better than other people.

It scares me how much I feel. In some ways, it is the truest part of me. It is hard to trust people with that kind of truth. You can't just take something like that back after it's out there. I only show it when I absolutely have to, or when I feel completely safe, because it leaves me in such a vulnerable state. I utterly dislike being vulnerable.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
#10 surprises me...I've heard the stereotype that INFJs have too many feelings and are over-sensitive. However, I can also see the other side - I'm fairly reserved and don't usually let people in on my feelings unless I know them well. Unfortunately, I seem to associate feeling negative emotions (sadness, hurt, anger, etc.) with shame, and I avoid expressing such things to others out of fear of embarrassment. I'll actually feel GUILTY for feeling bad. God, what a ridiculous complex to have...what the hell, yo?

However, I will admit to setting high expectations for myself...part of it may be externally influenced - I don't like to mess up and disappoint people. At the same time, I think the reality is that people would not be nearly as disappointed in me (if at all) if I "messed up" as I would be. I've somehow planted it in my head that being "perfect" all the time is the only way I can "deserve" the love and respect of others. It's something I am working to get over, because it makes for a very frustrating life.

Reactions: Coil
1 - 20 of 48 Posts