Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm testing a N vs S question that I plan on using in my scenario test. This particular question is based on initial impressions to a single image. My theory is that an N dominant type will initially "see" different things than an "S" dominant type. I am pretty clear on how an Ni/Se would most likely respond over an Se/Ni... however I am very curious as on how an Ne/Si type and an Si/Ne type would respond. I'm hoping this image isn't biased towards Ni/Se and Se/Ni. Any response and/or feedback on this question / scenario would be much appreciated
, thanks!

SCENARIO 7

Look at the image below and pay close attention to the very first things that jump out to you, thoughts, feelings, impressions, ideas etc. What do you see?

Formation Nature Rock Cave Natural landscape

- Describe the very first things that jump out to you in this picture.

- Why do you think you focused on those things?

- On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being highest, how strongly did this photo appeal to you and why/why not?

1,239 Posts
INFP (Ne/Si)

View attachment 293898

Firstly i saw the wavy looking underbelly of the jut of the cliff just beyond the trees. I'ts very noticeable how smooth the rock looks and how i gets more dark as it gets further underneath it.

Also i noticed the green trees and how the sun shines on them. I kind of feel bad for the trees as they're stuck there alone, or at least it strikes me as a lonely looking place for nature, they look out of place somewhat.

I noticed the water a little bit too

I didn't notice the dead trees at all

Not sure, i feel like I looked under the jut of the rock into the shadows because I thought there might be something interesting there. Or more likely, I was scanning for the bits in the photo that gave the most appeal to me and the wavy rock looked nice.

- On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being highest, how strongly did this photo appeal to you and why/why not?
4 tbh, kind of looks very dull as an image in general, I don't like how the trees look out of place, It doesn't do anything for me really. The water looks weird too. I just didnt get any feeling from it, and when i look at art and pictures I like I would normally get a good feeling about it idk..

·
Registered
951 Posts
First thing I noticed was the light shining on the cliffs and the striking contrast of light and shadows, then the water and the trees, then the details.

As for why; The light and shadows is quite striking, so then I was searching for a sense of scale and perspective, because it's an unusual scene and I wanted to make it real to me, so I was thinking about where I would be standing and trying to get a sense of what it would be like to stand there. I looked at the trees to get a feel for the height of the cliffs. I imagine that behind this point of view must be a huge cave, or something with very high walls, in order to be that dark but to have that much light contrast in front. So something of a very grand scale that would probably be more impressive if you looked upwards from that point.

I've got no point of reference to rate it out of 10, but I quite like the picture. If it was zoomed out a bit so you got a bit of context it might be better. If it was real and I was taking a picture, I would have probably wanted to angle the camera upwards a bit, or take it in portrait.

·
Registered
217 Posts

At first I see the general theme of the picture, which was a mountain and the first things that pop into my head was literally "Woah big."
Then I noticed the water, and how it looked like the mountain was cracked open and the water was spilling from it. I also admired the waves and texture of the water. Then I noticed the green trees in contrast to the rest of the color scheme in the picture

No idea, well I am a big picture person so thats why I instantly noticed the general idea of the picture aka huge mountain.
but as for the others I couldn't tell you. Although I am attracted to the chaotic rhythm of water. I loooove waves

ehh not my favorite piece of scenery so a 4.

Not sure if I'm N dom or S dom, pretty sure Im Sdom with some strong n traits (two Ndom parents)

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome @pearslug and @ALongTime ... if I may also ask, how certain are you of your types?

You both responded as what I would expect from either aux Ne with tert Si or vise versa. N vs S focus is ambiguous and I felt a flavor of both describing what you actually saw and responded to as well as a sort of Ne driven imaginative physical Si immersion into the image. Also @pearslug your lack of interest in the image as well as @ALongTime's desire to put himself in it speaks to Ne/Si for me as well.

As a side note I am primary Ni with inferior Se... I have a very Ni driven desire to explore the possibilities of my world and environment so the very first thing that hit me when I saw this image was an overwhelming desire to see around the corner as well as imagining what might be there.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks @kaylamint!

I'm getting very very clear S here. You described what you saw and noticed about the scene ex: "Woah, big!" Being a big picture person seems a lot like primary Se to me. Also no mention of possibilities or what you imagined also reinforces primary Se and inferior Ni.

Side note: I may take out the appealing rating just because that seems really based on personal preference and therefore irrelevant to what I'm trying to determine. Sounds like it is in no way indicative of Ne/Si or Ni/Se.

1,239 Posts
I'm definatley INFP. You can safely assume there's no Ni or Se in my responses.

Interesting observations also.

I feel like if it was an image that I really felt, the N/S bias would be more exposed.

However would you say wandering what is in the darkness under the cliff sounds Ni? Similar to you looking around the corner?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
SCENARIO 7

Look at the image below and pay close attention to the very first things that jump out to you, thoughts, feelings, impressions, ideas etc. What do you see?

View attachment 293898

The light coming from above, after that the group of trees catch my eye.

I'm guessing the fotograph is taken in this way to steer the viewer towards the trees. Fotography is all about focus points.

I'd say 8, because I like pictures that use light to their advantage. The glowing rocks give a warm feeling and the whole picture is comfortable to look at. It's a place I wouldn't mind being.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm definatley INFP. You can safely assume there's no Ni or Se in my responses.

Interesting observations also.

I feel like if it was an image that I really felt, the N/S bias would be more exposed.

However would you say wandering what is in the darkness under the cliff sounds Ni? Similar to you looking around the corner?
I would say that is indicative of N in general and not necessarily specific to Ni

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tranquility. Beauty. Serenity. I want to be there. I want to explore.

It just struck me as a very beautiful and interesting place. It made me want to experience it for myself.

9/10. That photo appealed to me a lot.
You clearly described feelings, concepts, and ideas about the image instead of what was actually in the image... very N of you. Wanting to be there and insert yourself into the image seems indicative of Ne/Si combo too however I'm not sure if that is a good gauge... because I am very Ni/Se and also would love to be there too lol. I'm curious as to how your primary Ne inferior Si drives that desire and how close it is to my own primary Ni inferior Se motivations.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SCENARIO 7

View attachment 293898

The light coming from above, after that the group of trees catch my eye.

I'm guessing the fotograph is taken in this way to steer the viewer towards the trees. Fotography is all about focus points.

I'd say 8, because I like pictures that use light to their advantage. The glowing rocks give a warm feeling and the whole picture is comfortable to look at. It's a place I wouldn't mind being.
I would initially be tempted to say S over N for you... but perhaps my wording is skewing peoples perception and focus away from N. Do you think there might be a better way to word things so it is not biased towards objective impressions vs abstract N centered ones?

Your response to the second question was a little indicative of N however... extrapolating possible intent of the photographer as to the reason why you were drawn to those things.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I would initially be tempted to say S over N for you... but perhaps my wording is skewing peoples perception and focus away from N. Do you think there might be a better way to word things so it is not biased towards objective impressions vs abstract N centered ones?
Your wording is not really to blame. It's moreso the case that I have trouble typing out the exact feeling I'm having when looking at it. I used warm and comfortable since that is kind of how it feels, but further than that I can't really explain it.

I have the same problem with songs, sometimes I just know a song feels good, but I can't really tell why.

EDIT: But I do think the divide between S and N would be clearer if you used artwork that was open to interpretation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Response:

- The bright entrance to the cave (kind of in the middle of the photo), the lush green of the trees and the pretty patch of green it sits on in contrast to the rock surrounding it, and the trees sitting behind with bare branches.

- I remember learning in photography class that the eye tends to focus first on the brightest area of the photo, as well as the center of the image. In this case the objects I described were both the brightest and in the center of the photo. The green also stands out heavily against the shades of brown throughout the picture.

- 7.5, because I could imagine myself lying in the small patch of grass with the sun streaming in through the entrance while the water gurgled close by and the thought made me feel very happy. It seems like a very unusual place but somewhere I'd love to visit for myself.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Awesome @pearslug and @ALongTime ... if I may also ask, how certain are you of your types?
No one can be 100% sure but I've read a lot about typology to be as sure as I can be, I don't have any current doubts.

I'd be interested to know what your theory is about how different types would respond, but maybe you don't want to reveal everything until you get some more answers.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Response:

- The bright entrance to the cave (kind of in the middle of the photo), the lush green of the trees and the pretty patch of green it sits on in contrast to the rock surrounding it, and the trees sitting behind with bare branches.

- I remember learning in photography class that the eye tends to focus first on the brightest area of the photo, as well as the center of the image. In this case the objects I described were both the brightest and in the center of the photo. The green also stands out heavily against the shades of brown throughout the picture.

- 7.5, because I could imagine myself lying in the small patch of grass with the sun streaming in through the entrance while the water gurgled close by and the thought made me feel very happy. It seems like a very unusual place but somewhere I'd love to visit for myself.
Initially I would lean towards S over N in your response however how you described imagining yourself in the photo speaks strongly towards N... uncertain if that signifies Ne or Ni however but I am leaning towards Ne driven Si and an aux / tert combo because of how you described both objective things as well as possibilities. Based on what you talked about in the other thread this would indicate INFP - Fi / Ne / Si / Te

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hello there, you smear fellow,

I found the idea interesting, I have taken it into consideration before, glad someone found the courage into themselves to expose it. @Jinsei

The first thing I thought about was the "turtle neck" of a vase, I realized that the serenity requires exploration in terms of mind perspectives, it is not about the energy but the whole idea of the image runs "absorption" to me, as in this could be the neuronal connections, the transcendental side of the human mind which is quite simple and then I realize languages are so inferior in terms of expression as when I say "human", I mean spirit and soul. I see them all lurking around in the image.

To me it means exploration, what goes over the neck of the vase, is a set of possibilities and universes tied underneath, this is only the floor of the boat.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi all, I'm testing a N vs S question that I plan on using in my scenario test. This particular question is based on initial impressions to a single image. My theory is that an N dominant type will initially "see" different things than an "S" dominant type. I am pretty clear on how an Ni/Se would most likely respond over an Se/Ni... however I am very curious as on how an Ne/Si type and an Si/Ne type would respond. I'm hoping this image isn't biased towards Ni/Se and Se/Ni. Any response and/or feedback on this question / scenario would be much appreciated
, thanks!

SCENARIO 7

View attachment 293898

Clicked on a random PerC link and ended up on this post.

It felt like the lake didn't fit with the rocks. I imagined that the greenery went on instead, the trees stretched and grew. There is so much more beyond it to explore, I want to slide open the picture and see behind.

6/10 because I like lakes and trees.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No one can be 100% sure but I've read a lot about typology to be as sure as I can be, I don't have any current doubts.

I'd be interested to know what your theory is about how different types would respond, but maybe you don't want to reveal everything until you get some more answers.
I am mainly just trying to use this to gauge N over S vise versa and or ambiguity that signifies an aux / tert combo of the two. I have a pretty clear idea how a strong Ni user vs a strong Se one would respond. Se would be very objective and probably list things like colors, light, etc... physical objective things that capture their focus. As primary Ni user I can say that I have a very powerful desire to see what is around the corner. I would expect N in general to be more focused on imagining the possibilities. An Ne / Si combo might try to somehow insert themselves into the image... maybe even imagine physical sensations like the cool air of the canyon... what it feels like to lie in the grass and sun etc. This could be true of primary Ne and inferior Si or even of an aux / tert combo of the two if they were close in strength.

The main point of this is to determine whether they favor N, S, or if it is ambiguous. This is the last scenario / question in my scenario test which an updated version of can be found here:

http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my...scenario-based-type-questionnaire-test-8.html

It is designed to have a very structured and targeted approach to determining type. Determining S vs N is the last little piece of info needed to figure it out based on how the questions in that test work together to narrow the options down.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello there, you smear fellow,

I found the idea interesting, I have taken it into consideration before, glad someone found the courage into themselves to expose it. @Jinsei

The first thing I thought about was the "turtle neck" of a vase, I realized that the serenity requires exploration in terms of mind perspectives, it is not about the energy but the whole idea of the image runs "absorption" to me, as in this could be the neuronal connections, the transcendental side of the human mind which is quite simple and then I realize languages are so inferior in terms of expression as when I say "human", I mean spirit and soul. I see them all lurking around in the image.

To me it means exploration, what goes over the neck of the vase, is a set of possibilities and universes tied underneath, this is only the floor of the boat.
Wow thanks for this... This feels like a very Ne driven interpretation. Lots of extrapolation as to possibilities. Great feedback and offers me an interesting look into Ne. Thanks for the compliment too!

1 - 20 of 193 Posts