Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it weird but I've noticed that I actually enjoy talking to senors more than intuitives much of the time. Now, I know I'm an ENFP because I've studies the functions, took various tests (online in recently in a college course) and I do enjoy how other Ns get me, but there are times when I just appreciate S's more, especially when I'm stressed and I want a "here and now" answer rather than speculative philosphy. I feel like my mind does that myself and sometimes it aggitates me. Does anyone else feel this way? (Or do any Ss prefer Ns?) I just find it starnge because from what I've heard the S v N different is usually th most difficult one for people to deal with in relationships.

·
Registered
782 Posts
well i spose u want a solution that works. and..who said that N types can't come up with solutions that work?
it seems like you are being a bit oversimplified here..

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i spose u want a solution that works. and..who said that N types can't come up with solutions that work?
it seems like you are being a bit oversimplified here..
This wasn't as well explained as it could be perhaps. (My thoughts are bit fuzzy,I'm medicated at the moment) I didn't meant that S's have answers and Ns just rattle off nonsense. Not even close. I just find that the way in which Ss prevent their thoughts suit me better than the way Ns do. They seem more convinced in their believes rather than exploring various possibilities (like what I do) I want to try to simplify things when possible and I'm not good at it, so I turned to the sensors in my life who seem to have that ability. Again, I should state, I'm just going based on the people I know in my personal life, not trying to generalize.

·
Registered
782 Posts
This wasn't as well explained as it could be perhaps. (My thoughts are bit fuzzy,I'm medicated at the moment) I didn't meant that S's have answers and Ns just rattle off nonsense. Not even close. I just find that the way in which Ss prevent their thoughts suit me better than the way Ns do. They seem more convinced in their believes rather than exploring various possibilities (like what I do) I want to try to simplify things when possible and I'm not good at it, so I turned to the sensors in my life who seem to have that ability. Again, I should state, I'm just going based on the people I know in my personal life, not trying to generalize.
i see. now i understand your point. thanks for the clarification!

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I think that it'd depend on whether that was an Si-user or an Se-user.
I don't know why there'd be more of a divide between sensors and intuitors than between thinkers and feelers, though. So I don't really know why there's this idea on this site about an S/N divide in communication when it seems like other type factors could create even bigger barriers...

I would think that Si's and Ni's would have communication problems, and same with Se's and Ne's. But I would think that Ne's and Si's and Ni's and Se's would have less communication problems. That's just what I think, don't ask me why :laughing:

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
I find it weird but I've noticed that I actually enjoy talking to senors more than intuitives much of the time. Now, I know I'm an ENFP because I've studies the functions, took various tests (online in recently in a college course) and I do enjoy how other Ns get me, but there are times when I just appreciate S's more, especially when I'm stressed and I want a "here and now" answer rather than speculative philosphy. I feel like my mind does that myself and sometimes it aggitates me. Does anyone else feel this way? (Or do any Ss prefer Ns?) I just find it starnge because from what I've heard the S v N different is usually th most difficult one for people to deal with in relationships.
When I'm stressed, I try to resolve the conflict myself. I sometimes ask other people's advice on things, but I'll just consider the advice and form my own opinion of situations. If it's something that has to be dealt with in the here and now, I'm usually not the best person for the situation. If some machine breaks down, and I get frustrated because I don't know how to fix it, I go get somebody else's help.

The main problem I have with sensors isn't really a communication issue as much as an issue of common interests. Movies and video games are about the only things that I can talk about with sensors without seeming "weird". Sadly, some people think that those are the only things that I am interested in. Very few people know that I have an interest in psychology and philosophy and like to write stories, and those that do definatley do not want to talk about any of that. So when I talk to them, we mostly talk about their interests. Seems a little one-sided to me, but apparently talking about the things that interest me would be- by vitrue of what they are- pretentious.

It's kind of like I have a secret identity. :wink:

·
Registered
535 Posts
I know what you mean. N's are great to discuss with, but they have a certain tendency to live in ideals rather than reality, which can get a bit annoying when you try to get things done.

I don't think the S/N divide is that great - personally, I find it harder to deal with different rational functions (Ti+Fe) than with sensors in general.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
I know what you mean. N's are great to discuss with, but they have a certain tendency to live in ideals rather than reality, which can get a bit annoying when you try to get things done.
Reality is arbitrary. I'm getting tired of this notion that intuitors live in a fantasy world. I'm not delusional. I may not be affraid to look outside of the box, and I may have an opinon of the way things "should be", but that doesn't mean that I don't live in "reality".

Yes, sensors are useful. They love to point out how useful and tangible their interests are. Good for them. There's nothing wrong with that. The problem is when they start using phrases like "head in the clouds" to describe intuitors implying that they are useless human beings that contribute nothing.

Vision is useful. Thinking outside the box is also useful, and in my opinon progressive. Concepts and ideas are just a different way of understanding the world. They are not "fantasy".

·
Registered
535 Posts
Reality is arbitrary. I'm getting tired of this notion that intuitors live in a fantasy world. I'm not delusional. I may not be affraid to look outside of the box, and I may have an opinon of the way things "should be", but that doesn't mean that I don't live in "reality".
Maybe I phrased it a bit too harshly, but yes, intuitives (myself not excluded) sometimes give their visions a bit too much importance to the point of overlooking actual necessities, just as sensors might overlook possibilities that are not immediately evident. That doesn't mean that intuitors generally don't live in reality or are in any way less valuable than sensors. I was merely pointing out why an intuitive might be drawn to the company of sensors.

Yes, sensors are useful. They love to point out how useful and tangible their interests are. Good for them. There's nothing wrong with that. The problem is when they start using phrases like "head in the clouds" to describe intuitors implying that they are useless human beings that contribute nothing.

Vision is useful. Thinking outside the box is also useful, and in my opinon progressive. Concepts and ideas are just a different way of understanding the world. They are not "fantasy".
Of course sensors should respect intuitives for their abilities, just as intuitives should respect sensors. It seems you have had bad experiences with some sensors, and I understand your point of view, but intuitives aren't perfect, and I see nothing wrong with criticizing them.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Of course sensors should respect intuitives for their abilities, just as intuitives should respect sensors. It seems you have had bad experiences with some sensors, and I understand your point of view, but intuitives aren't perfect, and I see nothing wrong with criticizing them.
Of course we are both generalizing. All intuitors and sensors are not the same. My main point was to say something possitive about intuitors in general.

I respect sensors in general. I think that anybody who calls them "shallow-minded sheep", especially if they are referring to Se's, is very arrogant, and I am not taking that position at all.

My post was defensive and not offensive in any way. There's nothing wrong with criticizing intuitors, but personally I hear a lot more of that in "real life". Sensors are not perfect either, but it seems like if you criticize them for anything, you will get labled a "stuck-up snob".

Fair is fair. We all have good qualities and bad qualities. I don't think any mindset or temparment in and of itself is "worthless". They don't even have anything to do with who you are as a person, which is more important, IMO.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Of course we are both generalizing. All intuitors and sensors are not the same. My main point was to say something possitive about intuitors in general.

I respect sensors in general. I think that anybody who calls them "shallow-minded sheep", especially if they are referring to Se's, is very arrogant, and I am not taking that position at all.

My post was defensive and not offensive in any way. There's nothing wrong with criticizing intuitors, but personally I hear a lot more of that in "real life". Sensors are not perfect either, but it seems like if you criticize them for anything, you will get labled a "stuck-up snob".

Fair is fair. We all have good qualities and bad qualities. I don't think any mindset or temparment in and of itself is "worthless". They don't even have anything to do with who you are as a person, which is more important, IMO.
Well, your post did seem like an attack to me, but maybe I was being a bit too sensitive. Let's be friends! :happy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts