Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DNA Nanobots Set To Seek and Destroy Cancer Cells In Human Trial | IFLScience

Human trials are beginning for DNA-nanorobot cancer drugs. This is about to be tried on a leukemia patient; the bots can identify the correct cells, which activate the drug release for a far more targeted approach. The patient for whom this will be attempted has been given 1 month to live - the team expects to remove his cancer within a month. Should be very exciting to see what happens.

In a 2012 Science paper, Bachelet and colleagues described a DNA nanobot shaped like a hexagonal tube, with its two halves connected by a latched hinge (pictured above). When the little device recognizes a target cell based on its surface proteins, the two halves swing open like a clam to deliver a tiny but deadly cargo of drugs or nanoparticles. These could be molecules that force cancer cells to self-destruct by interfering with their growth, for example. When the researchers released their tiny bots into a mixture of healthy and cancerous human blood cells, half of the cancer cells were destroyed within three days. No healthy cells were harmed.

·
Registered
650 Posts
DNA Nanobots Set To Seek and Destroy Cancer Cells In Human Trial | IFLScience

Human trials are beginning for DNA-nanorobot cancer drugs. This is about to be tried on a leukemia patient; the bots can identify the correct cells, which activate the drug release for a far more targeted approach. The patient for whom this will be attempted has been given 1 month to live - the team expects to remove his cancer within a month. Should be very exciting to see what happens.
Wow. I guess their "patient zero" (is this the correct term?) in this trial only has a few months to live and I wonder who they are.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Nice. I wonder how they programed the nanobot to attack certain cells. How does it track the cancer cells? Do the cancer cells release a specific chemical that can be identified by the nanobots?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
It always happens both ways Chou! People will find a way to use them for military applications. Just give it a a decade or two more. Maybe a little less. Self replicating nanobots which can denature your DNA! D:
How do you know me ? :shocked:

World war is imminent.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Human psychology is an interesting thing. We have a marked fixation on weaponry, clearly. The atom bombs killed roughly 500,000 people, and I am being SUPER generous with that estimate (and nevermind the myriad gifts nuclear physics has given us). Meanwhile traffic accidents kill over a million people per year, as do many other things, namely oh, I dunno, cancer (8 million deaths per year). Despite this any mention of newfangled technology even in the most positive light (it cures a horrible disease) will invariably bring moans of "oh, the weaponry". This kind of bullshit just makes me sick. It's like people set out with the intention of "I'm going to be negative about everything and not think at all". Maybe they think it makes them smart, I dunno.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Human psychology is an interesting thing. We have a marked fixation on weaponry, clearly. The atom bombs killed roughly 500,000 people, and I am being SUPER generous with that estimate (and nevermind the myriad gifts nuclear physics has given us). Meanwhile traffic accidents kill over a million people per year, as do many other things, namely oh, I dunno, cancer (8 million deaths per year). Despite this any mention of newfangled technology even in the most positive light (it cures a horrible disease) will invariably bring moans of "oh, the weaponry". This kind of bullshit just makes me sick. It's like people set out with the intention of "I'm going to be negative about everything and not think at all". Maybe they think it makes them smart, I dunno.
Tis true, but there is no denying that most governments use technologies to have a technological edge over others. I agree with being positive about it, and it will aid millions of lives in the future. Governments though, they always have hidden agendas. Like spears and bows and arrows... they were originally made for hunting to eat.... then people turned them on each other. I think it is a hive mind sort of thing, people don't trust one another... so they choose leaders who don't trust anyone to be in power and they do things that individuals don't like... but I guess it is majority rules. I would really hate to see nanotechnology to be weaponized. I mean, what is the purpose of wholly disintegrating someone when a bullet does the trick as well. If the technology becomes cheaper than conventional warfare... it will work pretty good. On the other hand, I like to keep optimist. I like seeing all these advances in science and technology... I'm a futurist and as a futurist I want to see things turn out well for the benefit of all. I mean, technology is just freaking amazing... all the possibilities that exist are mind-blowing.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tis true, but there is no denying that most governments use technologies to have a technological edge over others. I agree with being positive about it, and it will aid millions of lives in the future. Governments though, they always have hidden agendas. Like spears and bows and arrows... they were originally made for hunting to eat.... then people turned them on each other. I think it is a hive mind sort of thing, people don't trust one another... so they choose leaders who don't trust anyone to be in power and they do things that individuals don't like... but I guess it is majority rules. I would really hate to see nanotechnology to be weaponized. I mean, what is the purpose of wholly disintegrating someone when a bullet does the trick as well. If the technology becomes cheaper than conventional warfare... it will work pretty good. On the other hand, I like to keep optimist. I like seeing all these advances in science and technology... I'm a futurist and as a futurist I want to see things turn out well for the benefit of all. I mean, technology is just freaking amazing... all the possibilities that exist are mind-blowing.
Hard to say how nano would affect warfare. I would guess that it would be used as a way to greatly increase the precision of attacking certain targets. That's in many ways better than the sledgehammer alternative.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Hard to say how nano would affect warfare. I would guess that it would be used as a way to greatly increase the precision of attacking certain targets. That's in many ways better than the sledgehammer alternative.
I think the nanotechnology used for medicine uses some types of bio-materials, but I am not so sure... I mean it might work with human proteins. AND yeap, there aren't many applications for nanotechnology in warfare right now. People are working in body armor though... I think that uses some type nanotechnology.

But mainly people are afraid of this type of scenario:

Grey goo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 - 15 of 15 Posts