Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least for me... Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.breakoutofthebox.com/NaranjoSubtypes.pdf

And these are the ones I have problems with since they seem to be different from what many Enneagram texts say:

1) Regarding the sx 1, what exactly does being a "righteous" person mean? How does being a righteous person differ from being right?

2) In most enneagram texts, sx 2's are often described to be clingy and jealous, yet Naranjo's description sounds like what most texts describe sx 7's. From this description, does it mean that Thinking type 2's are more common because of these actions?

3) What exactly is Naranjo trying to say about sp 3's? Are they simply trying to achieve things for their own personal interest with little regards to others?

4) Again, what exactly does Naranjo mean when talking about so 5's?

5) And finally, the one that confused me the most: sx 7. Like I mentioned with the sx 2, most enneagram texts describe sx 7's as very loose and sexually active people that quickly get bored and jump from one person/passion to the next. However, from Naranjo's description, sx 7's are actually not that sexual, but more extraterrestial. What does it mean?

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
5) And finally, the one that confused me the most: sx 7. Like I mentioned with the sx 2, most enneagram texts describe sx 7's as very loose and sexually active people that quickly get bored and jump from one person/passion to the next. However, from Naranjo's description, sx 7's are actually not that sexual, but more extraterrestial. What does it mean?
I'm a sexual 7 (Sx/Sp to be exact). At first I thought I was Sp/Sx, because I feel comfortable being single, I can live without romance and not turn into the forever alone guy. In fact, I started thinking that I'm not Sp/Sx because I couldn't relate to the material aspect of the self-pres instinct.

It's not that I'm asexual - quite the contrary. I love falling in love, but all my relationships were quite short (none lasted longer than 2 years) and stormy. I don't need an abundance of sexual partners (although an idea of having a harem is tempting ;)). Sexual instinct is not only about looking for a mate (well, for most humans, I guess) - I'm passionate first and foremost, and I use that passion to dream, to create, to imagine. I spend time in my head more than in the real world.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
It seems to me that Naranjo describes the extremes, also I can't find myself relating to my type at all in his writings.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a sexual 7 (Sx/Sp to be exact). At first I thought I was Sp/Sx, because I feel comfortable being single, I can live without romance and not turn into the forever alone guy. In fact, I started thinking that I'm not Sp/Sx because I couldn't relate to the material aspect of the self-pres instinct.

It's not that I'm asexual - quite the contrary. I love falling in love, but all my relationships were quite short (none lasted longer than 2 years) and stormy. I don't need an abundance of sexual partners (although an idea of having a harem is tempting ;)). Sexual instinct is not only about looking for a mate (well, for most humans, I guess) - I'm passionate first and foremost, and I use that passion to dream, to create, to imagine. I spend time in my head more than in the real world.
This actually makes perfect sense, but for some reason, it doesn't sound very 7 to me, but more like a general description for most sx firsts. Maybe I just don't understand the difference since I'm a sx last...

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
This actually makes perfect sense, but for some reason, it doesn't sound very 7 to me, but more like a general description for most sx firsts. Maybe I just don't understand the difference since I'm a sx last...
I'm a 7 - it's just that most descriptions focus on extroverted social 7s. My behaviour is not typically Sevenish, but my motivation, fears and coping mechanisms... spot on.

I'm a bit narcissistic, dreamy and enthusiastic. Whenever I experience something new and exciting, I behave like I'm in love. I need many experiences, variety and freedom, but they're often intangible, elusive; I can long for something I can't even describe. Sx-first 7s are more chaotic than the other subtypes, sometimes manic and can seem like 4w3 very often.

Sx/Sp and Sx/So are a bit different, too; @Dark Romantic is Sx/So 7 afair, maybe he can explain it better.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a 7 - it's just that most descriptions focus on extroverted social 7s. My behaviour is not typically Sevenish, but my motivation, fears and coping mechanisms... spot on.

I'm a bit narcissistic, dreamy and enthusiastic. Whenever I experience something new and exciting, I behave like I'm in love. I need many experiences, variety and freedom, but they're often intangible, elusive; I can long for something I can't even describe. Sx-first 7s are more chaotic than the other subtypes, sometimes manic and can seem like 4w3 very often.

Sx/Sp and Sx/So are a bit different, too; @Dark Romantic is Sx/So 7 afair, maybe he can explain it better.
Okay, I think I see what Naranjo was getting at with the bolded. Thanks for your input! :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
1) Regarding the sx 1, what exactly does being a "righteous" person mean? How does being a righteous person differ from being right?
Well, this is my outlook. It's okay to be wrong if you had reason to think you were right. The important thing is to always be the best you can possibly be with the knowledge at hand--if you are wrong because you lacked information, it's of little consequence. You simply have to act according to your improved worldview from then on.

Again, from my experience... for a 7, it's not about sex at all. It's about the romantic ideal--being in love, being in a relationship is far more important than sexual conquest or consummation. The reality of being in love is incredibly satisfying in itself.

...The description of the Sexual Four also strikes a chord with me. Ouch. My last girlfriend, who insisted she was far clingier than any man she'd ever known, was repulsed by exactly that sort of behavior. The only way she ever found to make me angry was to suggest interest in another man, and it made me almost (but not quite!) angry enough to kill... ...the other man, of course.

I'd have a hard time harming, or, indeed, holding anything at all against her, even if the world were at stake, even now. That might change once my next relationship comes along, though. I'll still primarily define myself in relation to her until then. Haha... I really do live entirely for others...

Anyway, this is actually a pretty interesting read.

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, the Seven thing definitely applies to things other than relationships with people, too. When I particularly enjoy a book, game, anime, or whatever, it's pretty much a constant state of euphoria. Sadly, I can never enjoy it again after the first time through... but that's the reality of having a Seven fix. Luckily, (some...) real people are capable of much more variety.

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
There is a 2 hour lecture I heard by Naranjo on these. It made a lot more sense than the PDF you have posted. It made me realize my Sp and Sx are a lot closer than I thought they were.

I relate a lot to this, though I do relate to Sp/Sx 7 more. I used to think I was Sp/So simply because I prefer to be single, but you're absolutely right, Sx has nothing to do with wanting a mate. To the OP, Sx has nothing to do with being sexual. Most living beings are sexual =P Sx is more a passion, lust, and intensity in everything we do.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
At least for me... Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.breakoutofthebox.com/NaranjoSubtypes.pdf

And these are the ones I have problems with since they seem to be different from what many Enneagram texts say:

2) In most enneagram texts, sx 2's are often described to be clingy and jealous, yet Naranjo's description sounds like what most texts describe sx 7's. From this description, does it mean that Thinking type 2's are more common because of these actions?

3) What exactly is Naranjo trying to say about sp 3's? Are they simply trying to achieve things for their own personal interest with little regards to others?

4) Again, what exactly does Naranjo mean when talking about so 5's?

sorry i dont have any answers but i do have a question: are you allowed to only be one of the subtypes or is each of the ennaegram #s a mixture of all of the subtypes listed under them? For example type six has "self-preservation" "sexual" and "social" as their subtypes, would each person who is type 6 be one or all of those?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry i dont have any answers but i do have a question: are you allowed to only be one of the subtypes or is each of the ennaegram #s a mixture of all of the subtypes listed under them? For example type six has "self-preservation" "sexual" and "social" as their subtypes, would each person who is type 6 be one or all of those?
Everyone has all of the instincts, but there are different degrees to how much importance everyone places in them. The instinct you place the most importance in is your primary or dominant instinct, which is what the descriptions in the link talk about, followed by a secondary instinct as well as a tertiary instinct which are shown by decreasing importance to the person. For example, as a sp/so 6, I place greater emphasis on my self-preservation instinct, followed by my social instinct, and finally, my sexual instinct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts