Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did some online tests for personality disorders.

Turns out I score high on narcissism and on histronic personality disorder. However, borderline did not seem to be likely.

What about other infps. Would narcissism and histronism (is that how you spell it) usually occur with infps?

I have a huge need for admiration and I have difficulties with peers being "better" than me.

What is your take on this?

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Just because you took an online test doesn't mean you have the disorder. :dry:

Now that we got that out of the way, personality disorders do NOT have any relationship with personality types. It's just like saying INTJ's are more prone to being psychopaths, just because they're a bit colder and more rational. Psychological disorders develop because of environmental and/or biological factors, and are not due to your personality type. Also, say you DID suffer from histrionic or narcissistic personality disorder, it doesn't mean the rest of us do. It's a huge generalization.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just because you took an online test doesn't mean you have the disorder. :dry:

Now that we got that out of the way, personality disorders do NOT have any relationship with personality types. It's just like saying INTJ's are more prone to being psychopaths, just because they're a bit colder and more rational. Psychological disorders develop because of environmental and/or biological factors, and are not due to your personality type. Also, say you DID suffer from histrionic or narcissistic personality disorder, it doesn't mean the rest of us do. It's a huge generalization.
Didnt mean to generalise. Rather I am interested in knowing if there are any INFPs with narcissistic "symptoms".

Reactions: neologismaker

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I don't relate to the narcissistic symptoms. I took a test for fun once, probably the same one your took. Just for fun. It said I had higher scores in avoidant and dependent personality disorders. This was about 5 years ago, though. I should try it again. Hopefully I've matured into something more exciting. :)

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I did go through a narcissistic phase for about 3 years, long ago. I think it was a reaction to my life falling apart around me & my self-esteem was on the floor so I compensated internally. I wasn't outwardly arrogant but inside I was pretty smarmy & I had to constantly find ways to feed my ego. I wasn't even aware of it, it was a gradual change. Funny but the more narcissistic I got the worse my life became. I was miserable. One humbling night reality finally suckerpunched my icy heart & I realized I was an aging, divorced, college droput with no job, no money, no friends & no peace & I broke down sobbing on the floor of my cheesy, roach infested apartment. Oddly, after that I quit hating myself.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I can hardly be judged for my narcissism. If you were me, you'd understand how fabulous it is up here!

Lolzjk (mostly~). From what I understand, true narcissists aren't marked by a high opinion of themselves. Their own problems cover them so that it's difficult for them to be sympathetic to others. @MrAdder is that your understanding of narcissism?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I've been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and at one point I thought NPD might fit me as well because there's a specific subtype (can't recall what the name is) that involves a sort of narcissism that's related to self-hatred and extremely low self-esteem (rather than truly believing one is above or somehow better than others). I do have those issues, and some of the corresponding traits of that particular subtype of NPD... but I'm not really sure if it fits me. One shouldn't really self-diagnose anyway. BPD sure as hell is accurate, though.

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
I've taken that online test. I score "above average" in many categories, including narcissism. (I've seen other INFPs post their scores and some of them also were high on that.) I focus on certain strong points of mine (hinted at by the username) and parade around in certain online company partly to distract myself from things about myself and my life that I don't like. One of my interesting tendencies is to think I could magically establish a close connection to a person who is widely recognized as talented, special, or something (and I have done that a bit before). That said, it's very unlikely I would qualify as having true narcissistic personality disorder. I've read about real narcissistics and have observed people who likely are that. Among other things, a person who is especially narcissistic is likely to be socially charming (at least initially), which I am not, and wants admiration, which I don't. Some personality disorders might correlate slightly with the INFP personality type, but narcissism is not one of them, I presume.

Reactions: Stable Genius

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
I haven't taken any tests on it personally, but I feel like if I did have it, I'd have a hell of a time with it because it would be fun to think I'm the most amazing person on the face of the planet. :crazy::cool:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't taken any tests on it personally, but I feel like if I did have it, I'd have a hell of a time with it because it would be fun to think I'm the most amazing person on the face of the planet. :crazy::cool:
Yes! That is exactly what I think of myself. I am very disappointed every time life proves me differently based on objective measurements.

Reactions: Stable Genius
1 - 12 of 12 Posts