Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned this somewhere here on PerC, but I got thinking. Usually NT's get all the credit when it comes to science, but I see it as a Ti-dom thing. And also, science requires a lot of memorization (anatomy and biology was rote hell...so was learning the periodic table for chemistry.

Ti-dom, sensors (good memory & eye for details), and introverts (focused doing a lot of solitary work). Plus, good with your hands (as legend goes), good at figuring out the mechanics of things. These traits are ideal for scientists, but I never really see ISTPs mentioned as such.

1. Is your profession in science? (Or are you studying it as a major in college)
2. Did you do well in your science classes?
3. Do you like science (i.e., do you think/talk/study/tinker with it in your spare time)

And now I'll sit back, record the observations and see if they fit my carefully concocted theory. :cool:

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Science was my worst subject. I got good grades in it because, I don't know, I got good grades in everything. But, I didn't like it. A lot of that had to do with having a really shitty memory, in fact.

Reactions: dagnytaggart

·
Registered
62 Posts
I double majored in Biology - lab work was a breeze for me, especially in areas where techniques (sterile techniques, electron microscopy, animal tissue extraction, microinjection, tissue culture etc) are concerned - I pick them up quite effortlessly and work very quickly and accurately. I've never found the hand-eye coordination thing a problem and have a pair of steady hands (and good feel for tension, depth, handling force etc) when it comes to dissection.

I think NT's are associated with this fields because of their innovative/creative thinking that enables them to more easily come up with break-through ideas. ISTPs have the ability to grasp the concepts and analyse data however I don't think we are as naturally inclined to start drifting off into the 'what if's' that open the doors to the breakthrough realm.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ti-dom, sensors (good memory & eye for details)
I'm definitely dominant in iNtuition. In fact I scored so high, I find it almost difficult to associate on the same level with sensors. However, I've memorized pi to the first 60 digits, the golden ratio to the first 30, and have convinced my peers that I have photographic memory. I never revise for tests. I read someone else's revision before the test, and the absorbed information gives me good grades.

I know a sensor, who could not think in abstract concepts to save her life; a brilliant eye for details, yet she has trouble memorizing. Sensing is just another function defined as thinking/feeling in relation to facts, rules and observations, instead of conceptualizing possibilities. I believe memory is irrelevant. Sometimes MBTI descriptions are too stereotypical.

Science consists of imagination and theorizing, and validating these as facts after the experimental process. Therefore, bigger picture first, details second.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm definitely dominant in iNtuition. In fact I scored so high, I find it almost difficult to associate on the same level with sensors.
Scoring 'high' on any of the MBTI dichotomies doesn't mean that you are 'more' of it. Rather, it simply means that you are very clear about your preference. No one is completely at one end of the scale or the other ie. no one is completely I or E; N or S; T or F; J or P. We are all capable of a range of behaviour. The more developed a person is, the more he is able to tap into the other end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was pretty average at all the sciences in school. I guess I couldn't see the immediate relevance of it in my life, and so put in very little effort (the same of most of my subjects in high school).

As for level of enjoyement - it was okay I guess? I think I'd really enjoy a second chance at studying it now. :)

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I did great in science class, but I really did do great in everything. I liked chemistry, hated biology, physics was all right. When I got to college, I knew I didn't want to go into science or math at all.

I'm going into linguistics as a field, and they're trying to be seen as the "science" of language; I think they're trying too hard. But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
the only subjects besides english that i constantly got As in was physics, chemisty, geology. Ended up studying physics and now engineering in college after i graduated. Id like to say im on the way towards becoming one, yet i doubt its going to happen since i lack the creativity needed to make any breakthroughs worth mentioning. Analyzing and lab work however...

And yes, i love it. I can talk for hours on end about particle or high energy physics, especially plasma and energy creation methods, old and new. I cant stand biology or chemistry anymore though. While yes, i know what their used for and why their needed, their not fun.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Degree in Chemistry, but it just wasn't real-world enough for me. I didn't want to spend my time thinking at a molecular level. I wanted to be outside.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Natural born scientists? What, you think we performed our own cesarean section at birth using nothing but a crudely fashioned skank?
That's no way to talk about your mother.

;-P

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Science was my worst subject. I got good grades in it because, I don't know, I got good grades in everything. But, I didn't like it. A lot of that had to do with having a really shitty memory, in fact.
A bad memory usually doesn't equal good grades, unless of course they graded you primarily on effort and completed assignments.
Since when is your memory bad anyway? I bet you remember everything that really interests you. I bet if someone came up to you and kicked you in the shins real hard, you wouldn't forget it or them either.
Believe it or not, memory is sometimes just a state of mind. If you believe you have a bad memory then you'll never meet up to your potential or ability. Conversely is true too. Think positive.

Also keep your circulation good by regular moderate exercise. Good circulation is necessary for maximum brain performance. And if you smoke or do a lot of alcohol, maybe consider quitting, etc.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
A bad memory usually doesn't equal good grades, unless of course they graded you primarily on effort and completed assignments.
Since when is your memory bad anyway? I bet you remember everything that really interests you. I bet if someone came up to you and kicked you in the shins real hard, you wouldn't forget it or them either.
Believe it or not, memory is sometimes just a state of mind. If you believe you have a bad memory then you'll never meet up to your potential or ability. Conversely is true too. Think positive.

Also keep your circulation good by regular moderate exercise. Good circulation is necessary for maximum brain performance. And if you smoke or do a lot of alcohol, maybe consider quitting, etc.
I'm not going to debate my own memory with you. No, I don't remember everything that interests me. Yes, I very well could forget a person who kicked me in the shins. I have a history of forgetting traumatic events. If I believe I can sprout wings and fly, will that make it so?

Reactions: Stand Alone
1 - 16 of 16 Posts