Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A doctor in the Psychology profession told me that it is generally considered that 65 percent of our personality is genetic (nature) and 35 percent is due to our environment (nurture).

I'm am an INFJ male over age 40. Despite us never having met before, what do you know about me?

·
Registered
INFJ
354 Posts
I know you're interested in some kind of personality typology system and possibly psychology in general.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys, I should have explained myself in my post. I guess what I'm trying to do is determine the parts of my life that are clearly INFJ and other parts that might have to do with my conditioning.

For example, what type of career or work experience do I pursue? Other areas might revolve around the type of company I keep, whether I am single or married, my income level, etc. I hope this makes sense.

·
Premium Member
Male INFJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
216 Posts
Don't worry man, I knew what you meant, I was just being a smartass .

I'll just focus on job opportunities, and leave room for other people to answer the others, in order to get a more varied persepective.

Personally, an INFJ can pursue any line of work, it just depends on how that line of work fits into their field of "vision".

The dominant function of an INFJ is introverted intuition, which is predicated on finding patterns of human behaviour. As long as what you pursue (intellectually or physically) can be put into one abstract framework, you can pretty much do anything (if given the freedom to explore).

For example, going to college to learn about teaching, and working in a mechanic shop can be seen as two completely different things to some people. My mind can reinterpret those two supposed different areas, into one idea. That one idea can be "I am learning on how to become a better man to serve others". That single idea, can push me to do things that typically I would never think myself as doing. Whether that is me working outside in -50 C, or mopping the floor for the 5th time. But no matter what, in everything I do, I have to categorize things in that manner. Otherwise, I have no focus or drive to get anything done. I think many INFJs think the same way (or otherwise, maybe I'm just crazy).

So in summary, I can't predict what job you work at. I believe that largely depends on where you are, and what opportunities present themselves. So I would advocate that this is generally more "nurture" than "nature".
But if you really want to go by MBTI stereotypes, you'll typically find INFJs in fields where there is the freedom to explore, and where there is some form of solitude to explore themselves, and to give them time process what they learn. But that isn't always the case. For example, I am a Type 5 INFJ, and I wanted to join the Army at one point, one of the most strenous and strictly uniform jobs out there, knowing full well that it would probably not jive with my nature. But for me, just thinking of pushing myself and helping others made it worth while to me. It just depends on how your mind justifies it.
Now I am pursuing a career in teaching elementary students. I feel I can make more of a difference being a good male role model (or at least, faking it) for kids, then me getting blown up in a minefield in the middle of Afghanistan. Very much a different career choice than the army, but it just goes to show how flexible an INFJ can be.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks IH5. This is very helpful. I'm actually involved in a local cause where I'm required to understand everything from website design to interpreting laws. I think this touches upon the "one idea" concept you mentioned. I believe I am doing the right thing and for a good cause and this helps me get through many of the technical aspects I otherwise wouldn't touch.

I appreciate your sharing with me some of your background regarding the Army and teaching. It's helpful to hear about another INFJ's experience this way.

·
Premium Member
Male INFJ 5w4 (Sx/Sp)
216 Posts
Thanks IH5. This is very helpful. I'm actually involved in a local cause where I'm required to understand everything from website design to interpreting laws. I think this touches upon the "one idea" concept you mentioned. I believe I am doing the right thing and for a good cause and this helps me get through many of the technical aspects I otherwise wouldn't touch.

I appreciate your sharing with me some of your background regarding the Army and teaching. It's helpful to hear about another INFJ's experience this way.
No problem sir. Glad I could be of service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts