Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on MBTI with regards to the nature vs nurture argument?

The reason I ask is because I am wondering about the effects that life events have on personality type and how rigid the structure is.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hard to say. I mean, I'm incredibly different from the rest of my family. Of course, my type (especially when you factor in sex) is pretty rare in general, so the statistical likelihood of finding us in a group seems slim. Of course, finding a rare type in clusters may support...either I suppose. It is hard to separate the two out without things like separated twin studies.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Lol pretty much all of my male cousin's on my father's side are INTP.

Some are XNTJ. One is INFP. All "N" though. My grandfather is a famous INTP from his country. He was a philosopher and a public figure who writes in a blog that has hundreds of thousands of subscribers from said country.

That makes a strong case for it being genetic (but also environmental as our families spent a lot of time together).

I wonder if someone's susceptibility to environmental or genetic influence is also influenced by genetic or environmental factors. Kind of like the first derivative of a function.

So in conclusion, words.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I don't know in general. About me, I'm very similar to my father who was an ENTP. Just more introverted.
And it is probably genetical, cause I lost him when I was eleven.
My mother has often been surprised by some of my thoughts, behaviours or traits of the personality because she says that my mind is the copy of my father's mind.
Even if he was more extroverted and very charming..
I've always been introverted, since I was a child. I've been trained to be more ESFJ by my mother for all my childhood and adolescence but I'm still an intp.
So I would propend for the genetic, but it is only my experience and I could not have well analyzed it, since I'm involved.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Only INTP in the family (well I suspect one uncle to be one but we are not genetically related). Most of them are N and it's 50/50 on the E/I front.

I have always been what I am ever since I remember. Good parenting from my mom though, because she followed and encouraged the traits I showed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think there is some validity to this. I am by nature a INTP, I can reflect on it and see myself in the 3 phases I have gone through so far.

My Father is a INTx. My mother is a INFJ. One Grandfather is a INTP on one end and an INTJ on the other end too. My Grandmothers were A ISFJ and a ENFP. I have the following sibling personality types; a ISFJ brother, a ENFP sister, a ISFJ sister and INFJ sister.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Given that most are typed based off of some loose questions or decide for themselves, I think upbringing probably has a lot to do with type, since it affects how people perceive themselves relative to the rest of the population as well as what sorts of qualities they value (and whether or not most want to admit it, that's going to factor into how they answer questions about themselves). That said, it seems pretty clear that cognition is shaped a great deal by biological factors, so I think certain tendencies are largely innate (how well MBTI differentiates between those tendencies is likely a different matter). In case you were wondering, my dad is supposedly INTP, and my mother is ENTJ.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I completely disagree with most of these people I was raised in an "extroverted" community and family but later in my teens discovered I was introverted and Intp… I believe that you are born with genetics of course that may have you susceptible to certain personality types if in the larger picture it is the genes that you have active through your environment that make you who you are. That being said you probably activated your first socionics subconscious function when you were an infant/child when reacting to something you observed ex: a ballon rises to the top of a ceiling and pops was it that you felt, though,intuited, or sensed;that reaction at first if it triggered a significant impact on the way you think for the rest of your years. I also believe you can be any type you wanted if you really focused on it. With all of this I was a young Intp I believe my whole life but never really embraced it until my teens so inherently through your environment you are going to react and perceive the way you do the matter of fact is more fully embracing who you are to your own preferences and then in turn naturally more genes are activated if not fully yet. So simply do and be what you like and let nature and nurture take its course.Btw the structure isn't rigid it would be you reacting to your environment in an unintuitive way that makes it rigid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts