Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about our functions. So, pre-COVID and pre my 30s when I used to frequent parties, I found that while at first alcohol made me more exuberant and random (Ne dom function activate!) yet soon my Fi secondary would actually activate more, to the point I became quieter and looked for an outcast, or introvert, or someone seemingly quiet and interesting to focus on and discuss values and deep interests. Even in the party setting, where finding a quiet private place isn't very easy.

However, with the INFP having Ne as your second function - if you ever DID go to a party and perhaps partook in alcohol or other substances, do you likewise find your Ne secondary side would activate more and instead YOU would become more of the life of the party and perhaps almost come off more as an ENFP perhaps?

Just curious, as always.

·
Registered
Enfp 7w8 ;p
185 Posts
I'm curious about our functions. So, pre-COVID and pre my 30s when I used to frequent parties, I found that while at first alcohol made me more exuberant and random (Ne dom function activate!) yet soon my Fi secondary would actually activate more, to the point I became quieter and looked for an outcast, or introvert, or someone seemingly quiet and interesting to focus on and discuss values and deep interests. Even in the party setting, where finding a quiet private place isn't very easy.

However, with the INFP having Ne as your second function - if you ever DID go to a party and perhaps partook in alcohol or other substances, do you likewise find your Ne secondary side would activate more and instead YOU would become more of the life of the party and perhaps almost come off more as an ENFP perhaps?

Just curious, as always.
This is interesting, cause I have had a similar experience. It's like me Fi takes over, and I don't come up with as many random little nuggets as I usually do. I would go to my friends and try to have conversations about morals or just annoy them hahaha
But with Most of the Infps I know don't drink to often but when they do, buckle up. They go hard, and from my close friends experience she is more excitable and talkative about things. So I do think it is possible for them to come off as an ENFP, but again is all depends on the person

·
Registered
INFP 6w5 629
746 Posts
I've never drunk enough alcohol to feel its effects significantly, from what I hear about the effects, I still predict that I would not come off as an ENFP. If drugs or alcohol were to reduce my inhibitions, I could see myself becoming more extroverted and more expressive with both my positive and negative emotions, but I would not be inclined to explore abstract ideas. Similarly to you, I really like people, I just often find it hard to find the words to talk to them, and find reading between unexpressed lines tedious. So under alcohol, I might just go around telling everyone what I like about them, no matter how dumb it sounds. I could imagine myself saying:
"I like your shoes, they make you look less small."

Ne is what I do when I am most sane and takes brainpower. I might be too dizzy to think about spindle cells or how time travel is presented in fiction when drunk.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,485 Posts

Just curious, as always.
Ne activation? It's my bread and butter. At a party, I'm always looking to evoke reactions in others. I'll start a topic and let people pass it around like a hot potato. I have no problems engaging others, if I find someone interesting, or sitting back and observing the throng, if not. It is all about putting yourself in the moment and just enjoying what's in front of you.

Since I'm "technically" an extrovert, I'm not sure how to answer the second part of the OP, but I can say that socially, I would consider myself an "ambivert," for whatever that means.

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ne activation? It's my bread and butter. At a party, I'm always looking to evoke reactions in others. I'll start a topic and let people pass it around like a hot potato. I have no problems engaging others, if I find someone interesting, or sitting back and observing the throng, if not. It is all about putting yourself in the moment and just enjoying what's in front of you.

Since I'm "technically" an extrovert, I'm not sure how to answer the second part of the OP, but I can say that socially, I would consider myself an "ambivert," for whatever that means.
Well sure, you're the other Ne dom in the MBTI world but for you - you're Ti secondary. So...At a party do you find yourself dissecting logic more and reclassifying even frivolous party-talk Ti style?

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,485 Posts
Well sure, you're the other Ne dom in the MBTI world but for you - you're Ti secondary. So...At a party do you find yourself dissecting logic more and reclassifying even frivolous party-talk Ti style?
IMHO, there isn't any real separation. I think breaking up functions is intended to make them easier to look at, but in practice, they work in concert.

·
4,979 Posts
I don't drink, but just being around people in the evening, keeping energy up despite really being tired, tends to make some inhibitions go away. Also being around other people that drink and therefore are more open and uninhibited. It depends on the party though, some are too much and I might just want to get away or find a corner and try to protect myself, but if it is one where I feel ok, I think both Ne and Fi might be more noticeable to other people. I don't think Fi-ish thoughts are more in my head than usual, but I might feel more ok to talk about them. Ne on the other hand, might actually be more pronounced (but also that I might show more of what I think to others than usual). When letting go of control, thoughts can roam and connect to more distant things in various ways, leap and jump more, and when less inhibited I might engage more with others and take advantage of their thoughts and trampoline off them too. I think there is something about the mind at night and Ne, some kind of connection there. And I think alcohol might have a similar effect as the nightness.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes and No for this one, and that's coming from someone who partied hard for more than 2 decades. Though I'm sure i had my moments in good company. There have been times when i was belligerent and crazy, others when quiet and aloof and others again on a more even keel. I would guess it comes down to mood company and setting.

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,604 Posts
Seeing good friends at a party is often enough to bring out the Ne, with or without alcohol. And the later at night it is, the more I will want to climb on the couch or the table or whatever. Climbing on things is fun.

If I'm at a party with few real friends, the Ne will not be activated and drinking will only push it farther away.

Reactions: attic

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think there is something about the mind at night and Ne, some kind of connection there
Your thought very much illuminates how I feel. At night I feel the barriers of my heart and mind vanish and I feel the irresistible need to keep talking. A burning desire for human connection washes over me and I become silly and feel the compressing weight of the world slowly unchain from me. I don't know if it has to do with certain hormones or tiredness but there's something so beautiful about it. I love that giddy feeling of childhood innocence eclipsing me as my tongue comes to life. And I feel like I can talk about anything and everything. I wish I could feel that way during the day, but that only makes the night more special.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts